Does anyone have experience in returning a gun to smith and wesson,  I purchased a 625PC in May of this year and I believe it has a barrel problem.

The rear sight has to be moved all the way to the left and than some to hit where i'm aiming and this is at only 7 yDs. ,  also while I was cleaning it and using my Lewis lead remover after several hundred lead bullets  the tool would drop all the way into the forcing cone and didnt really work the way a LLR should or does on all my other guns.   I checked the forcing cone with my 11 degree gauge and it dropped in deeper than MAX depth for this gauge,   not sure what the forcing cone on a new smith is cut to but I think it fails this test.  The barrel looks like it is over turned by looking at the top strap alignment but the sight looks perfect so if they just turn it back a .0001 or so now the sight will be off.

I know smith has earned a reputation lately on quality control and workmanship and I have to say this would be my first return,  I think I may have got one the slipped by.

Has anyone sent one back to smith and what service do I use if thats what they tell me to do.

Thanks    

I did it a few years ago with an M&P Compact I had. S&W was great. I called them and explained the problem, and they emailed me a fedex shiping label. I forget if I dropped the gun off at a shipping center or fedex picked it up from my house. They had the gun fixed and back to me in like 5 or 6 days I think.  They delievered the gun right back to my house with adult signature.

They're good. Something internal broke in my PC 325 TR on the second trip to the range. I let them know, they sent a Fedex label. I dropped it off at a Fedex shipping center and as I recall I had the revolver back in less than two weeks. And no problem since.

Just follow their directions.

Zeke,    Will S&W not ship it back to me if it needs a frame, not sure why I would need a nics and p2p   I know this state is screwed up but is it a federal law they wont ship it back.. Why wouldnt i just fill out a form of voluntary register?     p2ps 3 to 4 months here.

anyway thanks for the quick reply's 

26 minutes ago, revenger said:

Zeke,    Will S&W not ship it back to me if it needs a frame, not sure why I would need a nics and p2p   I know this state is screwed up but is it a federal law they wont ship it back.. Why wouldnt i just fill out a form of voluntary register?     p2ps 3 to 4 months here.

anyway thanks for the quick reply's 

If it need a new serial number you'll need a p2p and NIC's, and it will have to be sent to a FFL.

I sent a gun to a different manufacturer and the pistol was badly damaged so they sent me a brand new one for free.  Since it had a different serial number it had to go the route I described above.  S&W will definitely do the same if they give you a new serial number.

Yay NJ...

• Like 1

My wife had a M&P 45 that was sent back for repair and the frame was changed. When they returned it they supplied a letter stating that the original S/N frame was replaced by the new one, and the new one's S/N.

It happened that because the pistol was less than a month old our FFL shipped it back for us. So S&W returned it to my FFL, who then transferred it to me. And yes, she had to burn a permit because it was a new S/N.

If you ship the handgun to S&W directly I don't know if they would return a new frame and S/N directly to you. Legally, they shouldn't. So be prepared for that. Or speak to them in advance about this and ask them to notify you if they think the frame has to be replaced.

10 hours ago, Zeke said:

Why they can’t stamp old serial number on new frame is beyond me. I suppose it’s jus easier to pull a new firearm off the shelf?

Time and expense I suppose.

Easier and cheaper to use one off the shelf than to change production stamping for a replacement/repair.

• Like 1

You'll probably just need a new barrel which will get replaced quickly and painlessly.  My guess is that you will not need a new frame.  Cross that bridge if it comes to it.  
Send it back and get it fixed.  Let us know how it works out.  

took her to the range today to verify my observations,   used a sandbag rest and with the sight centered it shot about 4-5" to the right at only 7 yds. with my point of aim dead center of bullseye target ( not 6 o'clock) .

move rear sight as far left as it will go and it shot center where i was aiming.  group was not that good either and i think that might be the forcing cone being too deep .  not sure.    being a perfectionist I dont like the sight way off like that

I'm kind of disappointed in it and I hope they make it right,  My 617-6, 625-8  Jm, 41, 15-3, 1917, 442, and 60 all are great shooters ,  my 625JM is the smoothest revolver and i thought a 625PC would be better.  617 needed the forcing cone cut, no big deal doing that and no more lead spitting .  

I guess i'll send it back and see what happens.   

when dropping it off at shipper do I tell them what it is or just insure it as "precious metal" 

On 7/26/2018 at 10:33 PM, revenger said:

took her to the range today to verify my observations,   used a sandbag rest and with the sight centered it shot about 4-5" to the right at only 7 yds. with my point of aim dead center of bullseye target ( not 6 o'clock) .

move rear sight as far left as it will go and it shot center where i was aiming.  group was not that good either and i think that might be the forcing cone being too deep .  not sure.    being a perfectionist I dont like the sight way off like that

I'm kind of disappointed in it and I hope they make it right,  My 617-6, 625-8  Jm, 41, 15-3, 1917, 442, and 60 all are great shooters ,  my 625JM is the smoothest revolver and i thought a 625PC would be better.  617 needed the forcing cone cut, no big deal doing that and no more lead spitting .  

I guess i'll send it back and see what happens.   

when dropping it off at shipper do I tell them what it is or just insure it as "precious metal" 

@PK90 told me it’s machine parts.. lol

S&W has hands down the best customer service i've ever experienced, and I've experienced it about 3 times.

First I screwed up my 1911 by trying to drive the extractor pin out, which is pressed in (apparently...).  Certainly not manufacturer defect, more like a brain defect on my part.  They replaced the extractor, the pin, cleaned the slide, returned it in 2 weeks no charge.

Then the gun fell off a shelf and broke the front sight fiber.  I decided to test their service.  Sure enough, new front fiber, 2 weeks, no charge.

Then I broke the frame on a 1983 S&W 469.  2 weeks later they informed me that regretfully they don't have 469 frames on hand, but wondered if I would be satisfied with a brand new M&P 9.  

Long story short, they rock

On 7/24/2018 at 7:16 AM, 45Doll said:

My wife had a M&P 45 that was sent back for repair and the frame was changed. When they returned it they supplied a letter stating that the original S/N frame was replaced by the new one, and the new one's S/N.

It happened that because the pistol was less than a month old our FFL shipped it back for us. So S&W returned it to my FFL, who then transferred it to me. And yes, she had to burn a permit because it was a new S/N.

If you ship the handgun to S&W directly I don't know if they would return a new frame and S/N directly to you. Legally, they shouldn't. So be prepared for that. Or speak to them in advance about this and ask them to notify you if they think the frame has to be replaced.

I had a similar issue with Charter Arms.  They issued me a brand new handgun WITH the same serial # as the old one.  I told them over the phone the dilemma with NJ and permits and they took care of it.

7 hours ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

S&W has hands down the best customer service i've ever experienced, and I've experienced it about 3 times.

SNIP

Then I broke the frame on a 1983 S&W 469.  2 weeks later they informed me that regretfully they don't have 469 frames on hand, but wondered if I would be satisfied with a brand new M&P 9.  

is that date accurate?  I recently sent-in a 1986 Model 41 and they told me it was a Bangor Punta/Lear Sigler-era gun and as such was NOT covered under the "lifetime" warranty

From their warranty page:

Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989....

They wanted a pretty good $$$ to fix; more than I was willing to pay.

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

I had a similar issue with Charter Arms.  They issued me a brand new handgun WITH the same serial # as the old one.  I told them over the phone the dilemma with NJ and permits and they took care of it.

Ruger *used* to do this, too.  Dont know if they still do

8 hours ago, W2MC said:

is that date accurate?  I recently sent-in a 1986 Model 41 and they told me it was a Bangor Punta/Lear Sigler-era gun and as such was NOT covered under the "lifetime" warranty

From their warranty page:

Smith & Wesson will repair, without charge, for the lifetime of the original owner, any Smith & Wesson handgun purchased on or after February 1, 1989....

They wanted a pretty good $$$ to fix; more than I was willing to pay.

Yes, the date is accurate, the slightly expanded story does address that nuance.  

When I discovered the frame cracks, I figured it was a long shot to begin with but it cost ya nothing to try!  So I called them and they dated the gun to 1983.  The gent on the phone promptly explained about the lifetime warranty starting in 1989.  He said they would like to see the gun anyways and to send it in.

I knew at that point they had an "out" for fixing/replacing the gun so I wrote them a compelling letter to include with the gun about how much I love S&W, and about how i've had two (at that point) glowing experiences that I tell everyone about in regards to their customer service.

Then I got the phone call after they checked it out offering the replacement gun.

I think I just got lucky.  As you stated, they do not have any obligation to warranty pre 1989