NJGF

U.S. appeals court upholds right to carry gun in public

4 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

Heller or McDonald (I forget which) I believe said you can't have qualifications, like justifiable need, on rights.  One of the reasons DC permitting process fell.  Surprised Jersey hasn't fallen.  Soon though.  Soon.

I'm surprised too, need to challenge

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PK90 said:

Also, when it is 115 degrees, I am not wearing an outer garment. I know, temps and job affects my decision like no other. I do "sneaky pete" when I have to.

Alright. Let’s keep it clean here. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

......ummm retention holsters......yes the police have them

I'm well aware of what a retention holster is. I've carried with one plenty of times, in NJ too, when I used to have a carry permit here. 

If could carry today in an ideal world, it would probably be a mix of open and concealed, mostly dependent on what I'm wearing that day. 

That said, I stand by my comments that open carry is most certainly not for everyone to do. However, it is up to the individual to come to that conclusion, not the nanny state. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but I've never really understand the inherent advantage of "open carry" anyway. Why on earth would you want everyone around you to know that you're armed? Don't you make yourself one of the "first targets" if some bad guy wants to hold up the bank or store (where you have the bad luck of being at the same time)?  Isn't an element of surprise (concealed carry) infinitely better? I dunno, does the fact that I'm a woman perhaps impact my opinion?... I feel I could be surprised and swiftly overpowered by someone... and now THEY have MY gun. Ugh. So, I really can't see advertising that you're carrying, and that's what "open carry" does IMO. Anyway, I don't pretend to know a lot about this topic... just giving my gut reaction!

And, yes, I agree... the 9th will overturn this en banc... and we're right back to where we were... though, NOT EXACTLY! We'll be a little bit better off. Because we'll have Thomas and Gorsuch who are already chomping at the bit to take on a 2A case AND we'll probably have Kavanaugh in the mix, who seems more reliably conservative than Kennedy. Fingers crossed!! Of course, I'd love to see NJ's case be the one to be heard by SCOTUS! :)

It means when a case is heard by ALL the judges of a court, not a small panel of its members. And the 9th is a VERY liberal court - so that would swing the decision left.

Where I am in VA now people open carry everywhere.  You see people at the supermarket, main street, Wal-Mart, the park, etc.  It is a way of life here.  I personally CCW everywhere except when hiking.  I do believe that it is a deterrent.  Most people here carry a gun either concealed or open and everyone knows it.  We don't have shootings and people are very polite.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

So, it's true...? An armed society is a polite society. :)

I would agree, most people I've meet have been very sociable and willing to help with any questions or problems. A number of them also offered the opportunity to try something I didn't have or couldn't afford. Just happened last week when I went.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

I would agree, most people I've meet have been very sociable and willing to help with any questions or problems. A number of them also offered the opportunity to try something I didn't have or couldn't afford. Just happened last week when I went.

That’s because we are us. But if the carry thing happens then they will be them and not us. Got it?

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Huh?

we are all we

We are in it for the love of sport. We respect our guns. If the door opens as wide as it may they’ll be people in for different reasons with different attitudes toward it. It’ll be interesting to say the least. 

Just now, Bklynracer said:

Kind of. But I think the good us will always be good. If I read it right.

You do.  And we will. But there’ll be others that could change the face of things. I still want it though. 

5 hours ago, siderman said:

A quick look up of the Chief Justice, Sydney Thomas. Nominated by Clinton and was also interviewed by Obama for the Supreme position Kagen now has.  Hope he's not a tie breaker.

Here's the thing with the 9th, even dead judges can cast deciding votes 4 months after they died. Cripto voting is not just for elections.

http://yalejreg.com/nc/nearly-four-months-after-his-death-judge-reinhardt-casts-the-deciding-vote-in-an-important-tax-exceptionalism-case-altera-v-commissioner-of-internal-revenue/

56 minutes ago, BobA said:

We are in it for the love of sport. We respect our guns. If the door opens as wide as it may they’ll be people in for different reasons with different attitudes toward it. It’ll be interesting to say the least. 

You do.  And we will. But there’ll be others that could change the face of things. I still want it though. 

Just to point out to everyone, BobA has a good point.

In NJ you think you know "gun owners" but you don't. You just know a small group of enthusiasts, because that's pretty much the only people you'll encounter at a gun range here, even double so at a private club.

In other places, anyone can own a gun pretty much, except the usual prohibitions. So you get "all sorts".

Still, doesn't mean we shouldn't hope for it to be like that here. I'd rather have "all sorts" than only the chosen few as it is now. 

8 minutes ago, mossburger said:

Just to point out to everyone, BobA has a good point.

In NJ you think you know "gun owners" but you don't. You just know a small group of enthusiasts, because that's pretty much the only people you'll encounter at a gun range here, even double so at a private club.

In other places, anyone can own a gun pretty much, except the usual prohibitions. So you get "all sorts".

Still, doesn't mean we shouldn't hope for it to be like that here. I'd rather have "all sorts" than only the chosen few as it is now. 

Well, as many have pointed out, "all sorts" hurtle down our highways and byways in potentially bone-crushing vehicles... and yet people purposefully running down other drivers or pedestrians is a statistical rarity. Likewise, national studies on gun crime show that legal gun owners commit gun crimes at incredibly low rates, whereas ex-cons are responsible for the lion's share of gun crime.

So, I go where the facts lead me... and I'm still not the least bit worried about the law-abiding types who willingly submit to the legal process of getting a background check, getting a permit, etc. The overwhelming evidence reveals those folks are NOT the problem. So, I say: bring on the freedom... I'm confident our fellow citizens can handle it.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, mossburger said:

Yes of course we move forward. But it’ll be a game changer. 

5 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Agree with the comments, but time will tell. It seems to be working in the free states otherwise they wouldn't be free for this long. We will have to learn to make it work as they did or we could lose freedom if we ever get it.

Agreed. Absolutely. I’m just pointing out that in the other 40 odd states there’s an inherent gun culture. They were raised with them from the cradle as tools. I suspect should this come true for us there will definitely be growing pains. An adjustment period if you will. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silence Dogood said:

Law says they can't be loaded (hunting excluded).

I know about the transportation law regarding loaded weapons, but carry =/= transportation.  Someone else pointed out something similar above, but that law also relates to the transportation section.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not found a single law in reference to open carry of a rifle/shotgun.

21 hours ago, BobA said:

Good for me, not for thee is what has got us where we are. Think about it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Good for me, not for thee is what has got us where we are. Think about it

Not saying "not for thee" at all.  It needs to happen.  It's very past due, but it's going to be an interesting ride none the less.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GunsnFreedom said:

I know about the transportation law regarding loaded weapons, but carry =/= transportation.  Someone else pointed out something similar above, but that law also relates to the transportation section.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I have not found a single law in reference to open carry of a rifle/shotgun.

They want to keep concealed the fact that it is legal. It wont be for long at this rate.