Babyface Finster

Anyone here scrap cars?

I have a 2001 Taurus wagon that has been darkening the driveway for a few years.  Time to get her gone.

Before I go the Craigslist route, I wanted to see if any 2A friendly brethren would be interested.  Not looking for any $ if it's going to someone here. 

For anyone interested, it has no rust or body damage, but it's a bit crusty from sitting so long.  Ran fine when parked due to an external coolant leak from the timing cover which freaked my wife out.  When the coolant hit the exhaust it would steam off and she was afraid it would explode. :rolleyes:

Could probably be powerwashed, fixed and driven again but I'd expect to put some money into it for it to be reliable.  Hasn't moved in at least 3 years.  Could be more.  Has a little over 100K miles on it, but these cars are known for weak transmissions so...

Want it gone quickly and have the title.  Let me know if there is any interest.  I'm located near the Rockaway Mall.

Taurus.jpg

5 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Don't know about that Zeke.  To end value for that car is maybe 2000.  Depends on what tax bracket you're in.  

Even at 15-20%, its more than scrap nowadays.. wont get more than 200$ for that car, i dont think. Plus you dont have to pay (or share scrap cash) to haul it to a yard. Donate all the way, man.

• Like 3

I just did a quick Kelly Blue Book on it, with FAIR condition.

Trade in is around $700.

Private Party value is about $1700.

Depending how the OP values it...

If he values it as GOOD:

Trade in is around $800.

Private Party value is about $2000.

Using those values as a donation amount, it would knock some taxes due off of next year's tax return.

Now, if he values it as VERY GOOD, he's up to $2400 on Private Party.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

I just did a quick Kelly Blue Book on it, with FAIR condition.

Trade in is around $700.

Private Party value is about $1700.

Depending how the OP values it...

If he values it as GOOD:

Trade in is around $800.

Private Party value is about $2000.

Using those values as a donation amount, it would knock some taxes due off of next year's tax return.

The charity sets the value in my experience. With paper.

also keep in mind, scrap is income and should be claimed on filing..... jus sayen 

8 minutes ago, Zeke said:

The charity sets the value in my experience. With paper.

I think that varies by charity. In some cases they just give you a confirmation receipt that you made the donation, then you can claim what ever value you think it's worth at the time.

Just now, Sniper22 said:

I think that varies by charity. In some cases they just give you a confirmation receipt that you made the donation, then you can claim what ever value you think it's worth at the time.

Then I would find the right charity... not the wrong one.

jus sayen

11 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

I agree with donating, but would rather donate to a org. that helps vets or something along that line. 

Heard bad things about cars for kids. Do your research.

Agreed.   See who benefits.  Maybe you support the cause, maybe you will choose to pick another one.

12 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Don't know about that Zeke.  To end value for that car is maybe 2000.  Depends on what tax bracket you're in.  

it's worse than that. I may be wrong but I think the deduction is limited to whatever amount the charity auctions off the car. There are exceptions where you can claim the fair market value; if the charity uses the car for their own use or sells it below market value to a need person.

Chances are a car like the op's will end up sold for scrap anyway.

Personally, I've driven two hoopties to the scrap yard and pocketed the 200 cash.