124gr9mm

To buy, or not to buy??

What would you do in this scenario.

You've been planning for some time to get a bolt gun to start some precision/distance shooting.  You've done lots of research and narrowed your choices based on caliber, budget, etc, etc, to a point where you know what you're going to buy.  You didn't plan on pulling the trigger on the purchase until late fall or winter, HOWEVER a lightly used version of the rifle you're planning to purchase shows up on the used market for about $200 less than what it would cost you to buy it new.

It's not in the current budget plan and it's not a rare item that won't be available in 6 months, so there's no urgency, but SEEING it available is very tempting.

What would you do???

23 minutes ago, bhunted said:

I’d wait unless you know the round count. Not unusual for barrels to be worn out. What rifle?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's a .308 barrel that appears to have been a closet queen, but not knowing the round count is the biggest factor in me not buying it right now.

I haven't physically seen it yet, so we'll see what happens when I make a trip to the shop where it is.

I buy a lot of guns that way.  Never gotten screwed.

Just about any 308 bolt will go 5000 rds plus before accuracy starts to drop.  That's for competition purposes and you need to be a very good shot to see the difference.

A friend of mine who's a serious competition shooter (NRA Distinguished Rifle, wins or places consistently at Camp Perry)  changes AR barrels on his competition guns every 3000 rds.  The military looks at a 10,000 round service life for the entire rifle.

Few people ever shoot a gun enough to make barrel wear an issue unless they shoot some type of magnum.

I was just in this same position, saving and justifying a new m9a3, local range just received a very lightly used 92a1, I checked it over and negotiated down to $400.  I put on the rubber grips, changed out the cheesy plastic guide rod, both of which I had to do to the a3 anyway. Saved about $500, really like it and happy. For your $200 it is close to call. 

I love that there's some folks on here looking into Howas.  Great guns by all accounts.  I desperately want a mini action to play with.  

And yes, 3500-5000 rounds before a .308 is wore out.  Smaller bullets in similar cases get less barrel life.  But .308 and .223 run for a very long time before round count becomes an issue.  

You'll find another one sooner than you think.  

I think I have purchased exactly 2 firearms new a Saiga 7.62x39 I converted to look like an East German MPi-KM and my very first firearm a Remington 870 which was 30 years ago. Everything else has been used and I have had zero issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk