SJG

Grewal to Block Plans for Printable 3-D Firearms

“Defense Distributed’s plans to allow anyone with a 3-D printer to download a code and create a fully operational gun directly threatens the public safety of New Jersey’s residents,” Grewal said. “Posting this material online is no different than driving to New Jersey and handing out hard-copy files on any street corner. The federal government is no longer willing to stop Defense Distributed from publishing this dangerous code, and so New Jersey must step up.”

According to media reports, the company’s move to start offering the plans, which include plans for an AR-15 assault rifle and a handgun, comes after a settlement in a lawsuit between the U.S. State Department and the company.

“The age of the downloadable gun begins,” Defense Distributed stated on its site, according to a report in USA Today. Its founder, Cody Wilson, tweeted a photograph of a grave marked “American gun control.”

Defense Distributed, Grewal said in the letter, plans to “make do-it-yourself guns available to anyone, even if the individuals are prohibited from owning guns because of prior convictions, history of mental illness, or history of domestic violence, even if the weapons they print are illegal in my state, and even if they plan to use their weapons to further crimes and acts of violence. … Not only are these plans to publish printable-gun files dangerous, they also violate New Jersey law.”

Defense Distributed made national headlines by developing files that enable consumers to create fully operational firearms with a 3-D printer. Wilson developed a printable plastic pistol known as the “Liberator .380” in 2012 and put the plans online, but was blocked by the federal government, the attorney general’s statement said.

Grewal contends that publicizing the files will “flood the illegal firearms market.”

The letter also says that Wilson has “no intention of precluding [these] printable-gun computer files, including designs for assault weapons, from winding up in the hands of criminals, minors, and the mentally ill.”

“I demand that you halt publication of the printable gun computer files,” Grewal said. “Should you fail to comply with this letter, my office will initiate legal action barring you from publishing these files before August 1, 2018.”

PA taking similar action

The AG must have gone to law school in a different country.  The 1st amendment protects free speech, which means anyone can print anything they want on paper or the internet and he can't stop it. Clowns like him don't get that the first amendment is not there to protect popular speech, as no one objects to that; it is there to protect unpopular speech.  Things like hate speech should be protected.  Drawings that people make are protected, whether they are of a pretty mountain or of how to build something.  

• Like 2

NJ Attorney General sued over move to block release of 3D printed gun design

Posted: Jul 30, 2018 8:45 AM EDTUpdated: Jul 30, 2018 8:45 AM EDT

EDISON -

The state's attorney general is being sued over a move to block a website that provides designs to print 3D guns.

The Texas-based company "Defense Distributed" is slated to release its plans for homemade guns on Aug. 1, after winning a battle with the federal government.

The group's argument is that sharing design files was protected speech.

However, New Jersey Attorney General Gurbir Grewal told the group that making the files available to New Jersey residents would be a violation of state law.

The attorney General said in a tweet that releasing the computer codes would be no different than driving to New Jersey and handing out hard-copy files on any street corner and that Defense Distributed must immediately drop its publication plans. The state plans to sue by Aug. 1.

The founder of Defense Distributed, Cody R. Wilson responded, tweeting, “I have filed suit against the New Jersey Attorney General and the Los Angeles City Attorney. We will not be silenced."

3D-printed guns are not particularly durable, but are virtually untraceable and could be obtained by anyone.

The move by the attorney general to block the release of the 3D gun designs has inserted New Jersey into a national controversy about the intersection of the First and Second amendments.

30 minutes ago, SJG said:

This should get interesting fast

It certainly will be interesting to watch. He has only 39 hours until midnight tomorrow night to try to stop this. And I do not believe he will be able to. The SAF and Defcad will not cave on this.  I would love to have been a fly on the wall in whatever discussions may have recently taken place between the AG, Gov Murphy, and Sen Menendez on this topic. I of course don’t buy into the hysteria they are trying to raise. Afterall, could not someone have made their own “zip” gun for decades by just visiting the plumbing dept at Home Depot. And as mentioned in a post above, it’s still illegal in NJ to manufacture.

25 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

It certainly will be interesting to watch. He has only 39 hours until midnight tomorrow night to try to stop this. And I do not believe he will be able to. The SAF and Defcad will not cave on this.  I would love to have been a fly on the wall in whatever discussions may have recently taken place between the AG, Gov Murphy, and Sen Menendez on this topic. I of course don’t buy into the hysteria they are trying to raise. Afterall, could not someone have made their own “zip” gun for decades by just visiting the plumbing dept at Home Depot. And as mentioned in a post above, it’s still illegal in NJ to manufacture.

Not to mention that designs, code and instructions for machining "real" firearm receivers via CNC mills have been around and readily available far longer than 3D printers.

Amazing. So we are now copying China and other totalitarian regimes where they will try to shut down internet sites they don't agree with. I guess book burning's will soon follow. Maybe NJ will move to block access to WhiteHouse.gov while Trump is president. How can any American (including progressives/liberals) get behind things like this?

13 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Defcad is the website - try to access it from inside NJ and you'll find it's blocked.

https://defcad.com/

Wow!  I just ried to connect and received the following message:  

451: We're sorry, but DEFCAD has been blocked in your location.

I tried to connect via my home FIOS router.  However NOT blocked when connecting via my Verizon  cellphone.

Wonder how they accomplished the block.  Coerce Verizon perhaps???

As I understand it, although 8/1 was the scheduled release date, I am sure it has probably already been released and will simply be republished or reposted on the net. Prior restraints of speech are almost always shot down. I understand that Defcad has agreed to temporarily block access to its website from persons in certain states such as PA. Out of curosity, I got on their site this am. This link still works https://defdist.org/

According to Wikipedia, the definition of error code 451 is as follows.  Very interesting....Censorship at it's best.

HTTP 451. In computer networking, HTTP 451 Unavailable For Legal Reasons is an error status code of the HTTP protocol to be displayed when the user requests a resource which cannot be served for legal reasons, such as a web page censored by a government.

1 hour ago, oldguysrule649 said:

it already is stopped. can't get to the defcad site.

Here is the Defcad filing.  I quickly perused it and it states(Paragraphs 28 & 29) that Defcad is doing the blocking as a result of the AG's threat of legal action. So I guess this(the blocking) is part of the legal posturing

https://www.scribd.com/document/384953267/Complaint-Defense-Distributed-v-Grewal-and-Feuer

This is a public forum... so pls, let's not have to move this VERY interesting topic into the 1A lounge! What I'm referring to is all the colorful "nicknames" we're giving to our AG. Hey, I don't like what the guy's doing either... but he's just an individual... he doesn't represent all Sikhs, so let's not paint with a broad brush. We probably have some Sikh shooters in NJ... we want them to feel welcome.  I'm going to clean up a couple of your posts (gasp! yes, censorship! get over it).. keep the rest of the comments "clean" please. Let's keep this in a public forum to get the widest possible audience. I think people need to know this is happening.

I look forward to your cooperation and, hopefully, minimal grumbling! :good:

• Like 3