JMich3

Springfeild Saint

Anyone here shooting the Saint? I’m thinking of purchasing my first AR and was looking at the S&W sport when a guy at RTSP stared raving about his Saint. Is it worth the extra money especially for a newbie? Thanks in advance for any info

The AR-15 has changed a lot in price and reliability over the last ten years.

Considering you can easily find deals on a complete AR-15 in the ~$400 range, even with the greediest FFL fees you're still looking at my maybe $500-550 out the door, tops. Multiple members are even selling theirs in that price range. 

If I was getting into the AR game I would ask myself if the fancy names are really worth tripling the price. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mossburger said:

The AR-15 has changed a lot in price and reliability over the last ten years.

Considering you can easily find deals on a complete AR-15 in the ~$400 range, even with the greediest FFL fees you're still looking at my maybe $500-550 out the door, tops. Multiple members are even selling theirs in that price range. 

If I was getting into the AR game I would ask myself if the fancy names are really worth tripling the price. 

I’ve thought of this actually. There’s a nice looking AR listed for 400 in the WTS section right now. I just don’t know what I’m looking at to know if it’s worth it or even safe for that matter. I did find out that Stag Arms is having a big sale right now. 

19 hours ago, JMich3 said:

I’ve thought of this actually. There’s a nice looking AR listed for 400 in the WTS section right now. I just don’t know what I’m looking at to know if it’s worth it or even safe for that matter. I did find out that Stag Arms is having a big sale right now. 

I think you should jump on it, of course it's safe. There really isn't anything to it, most parts from most mfg all conform to the same specs and tolerances. Some guys just pay 3x more for the name etched into the side. 

The AR-15 came down in price because pretty much anyone with the right kind of FFL and a CNC setup can make receivers and sell at a profit for less than $50 each.

Like I said, a lot of the attitudes around the AR-15 are outdated. Yes they used to be overpriced, delicate jam-o-matics but those days are over, people all over are plinking with $400 AR's every weekend.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mossburger said:

I think you should jump on it, of course it's safe. There really isn't anything to it, most parts from most mfg all conform to the same specs and tolerances. Some guys just pay 3x more for the name etched into the side. 

The AR-15 came down in price because pretty much anyone with the right kind of FFL and a CNC setup can make receivers and sell at a profit for less than $50 each.

Like I said, a lot of the attitudes around the AR-15 are outdated. Yes they used to be overpriced, delicate jam-o-matics but those days are over, people all over are plinking with $400 AR's every weekend.

Thanks for the info. Stag Arms is having a major sale so i got a brand new AR with some extras for basically $600!, it’s was 25% off. 

22 hours ago, mossburger said:

They are not.

To the OP, there are a few in the marketplace that will do all that you need.

• Like 1

My opinion will be unpopular among the others in this thread, but I'd have to disagree with some of them.  You do get what you pay for with these rifles.  I'm not telling you that you should spend $2k out the door on your first rifle, but you'd probably be best staying away from the incredibly cheap brands.  S&W and Stag are reputable brands, and will provide you with a rifle reliable enough to plink with and learn the platform.  If you're interested in having something for home defense or something similar, there are plenty of brands that are still affordable but of higher quality.  Materials do vary based off of who the manufacturer is.  There's also different surface treatments, as well as varying levels of quality control from different companies.  Look up some videos of poor assembly quality coming out of some cheaper companies.  Enjoy your new rifle, and start saving now for all the others that you buy :lol:

• Like 2