Sign in to follow this  
Matroskin

Buying mil surplus out of state

While on the business trip in North MA I discovered a small Cabelas store. They have good selection of Chilean, yugo, and some Swedish Mausers.
Would it be a problem to buy in MA and transport it to NJ?
And can you point me to some document that lists fair prices on these rifles?@capt14k

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Handguns, you must go through an FFL in your own state (Federal law). Exception being a FFL purchasing out of state (03 would be a good example, given the subject matter).

Rifles, you can purchase out of state, but must go through an FFL (doesn’t have to be in NJ, but again... Federal requirement). I don’t know specifics on other state laws, but you have to follow them... as well as home state laws (can’t buy a M1 Carbine in PA, and return to NJ).

For instance, it would be legal for a non-NJ resident to buy a long gun from a NJ FFL on the Federal side, but state law requires a NJ FID... which isn’t a common thing for non-NJ residents to own. Kind of keeps non-NJ residents from buying within NJ. Need to check that state to see if there are any issues.

In regards to Cabela’s, I’ve never really seen one offer used firearms at good prices. Better deals on forums, at least what I’ve seen. To gauge prices, look at Gunboards... and see what they are selling for. They tend to be in the ballpark, for the most part. Another option is to give the prices...

I did happen to search Mauser on Cabela’s Gun Library... and see a Yugo 24/47 for $570. Doubt it comes with anything other than the rifle, but unless it is Tito’s personal rifle, I’d pass. Prices might have gone up, but I’d put that money into something else.

• Like 1

While on the business trip in North MA I discovered a small Cabelas store. They have good selection of Chilean, yugo, and some Swedish Mausers.

And can you point me to some document that lists fair prices on these rifles?[mention=8404]capt14k[/mention]

I believe MA does require a FPID.

However Cabela's will transfer to another store. Say PA.

As for prices I would need more info. Yugo in Cabela's are usually $299-399 which isn't bad if all matching and decent condition. Especially if you can find a M98/48 with intact German Proofs/Waffenampts. Also M24/52c or original M48. M24/47 and M48A unless unissued condition I wouldn't go above $350 for all matching. Matching is receiver, bolt, Floorplate, trigger guard, and stock for most Yugos.

Swedish all matching $400-500 for M96 and M96/38 which I have seen those prices in Cabela's. Only acceptable part to not be matching is cleaning rod. Just about every part was serialized. M38 $600. M94/14 $1,000. M94 $1,400.

Chilean there is a lot of models. Most common is 1895 Rifle. There are possibly 3 makers. All matching would be $500 DWM, $600 Loewe, whatever they want for a Steyr. Parts matching are Receiver, Bolt, Stock, Floorplate, Triggerguard, Rear Sights (3 spots last 2 digits), Bolt handle, safety, cooking piece, shroud, and bolt release. There is also 1893, 1895 Carbine and Short, 1912 Long and Short, and 1935 Carbine. If you see a 1912 Long or Short all matching with stock cartouche let me know. I need one of each.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 hours ago, Matroskin said:

And can you point me to some document that lists fair prices on these rifles?@capt14k

Scroll down to non residents.  MA says non residents need authorization to purchase long guns there.

https://www.mass.gov/service-details/gun-ownership-in-massachusetts

Thank you guys, I will stop by there again tomorrow but if I need to ship it to another store or FFL, it's a deal breaker.

Well if there is a 1912 Chilean Long or Short or 1895 Chilean Short or Carbine all matching let me know and I will call the store and have it transferred to PA store.

Scroll down to non residents.  MA says non residents need authorization to purchase long guns there.
https://www.mass.gov/service-details/gun-ownership-in-massachusetts

Looks like you need a LTC to purchase in MA as a non resident.

It was a simple Jersey legal shotgun from Cabela’s 
Delaware and PA have much better laws than NJ and MA. Perfectly legal to purchase long gun in another state with NICS or equivalent (PICS in PA) check.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well if there is a 1912 Chilean Long or Short or 1895 Chilean Short or Carbine all matching let me know and I will call the store and have it transferred to PA store.

Unfortunately it did not work out. Had to leave early, the store was closed :(. Next time.

Unfortunately it did not work out. Had to leave early, the store was closed [emoji20]. Next time.

Happened to me 3x on trip to NH. My timing was terrible. Store was always closed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk