Sign in to follow this  
windsor21

Hello from Jersey City

Greetings,

I live in downtown Jersey City and received my permit about 6 months ago. I love shooting and everything guns! I am looking for more places to shoot, particularly outdoors.

I am originally from Texas, and have been in Jersey for close to 3 years. I now realize how much I took my gun rights for granted!! In TX I never even owned a firearm, partially because I didnt have the $$, but also because if I wanted to shoot all I had to do was find the nearest family member!

Now that I have went through all the hassle and BS, it means a lot to me to own firearms. I really wish I had gotten a CC in Texas! I have heard rumors about legislation being pushed to possibly legalize CC in Jersey?? Anyone know if there is any truth to this?

thanks for having me!

Welcome to the forum. Only 6 months in Jersey City? I heard horror stories of people waiting for over a year, then having to reapply because the paperwork was old.

Nice little arsenal you got building for you.

As far as the conceal carry law in NJ... there is a bill in the NJ state senate, however it is not up to being voted on yet as I dont think they have enough votes. I dont recall the name of the bill, but I will post it when I get back.

Best thing you can do, is find out your state senator and assemblyman/woman and contact them and let them know you want them to support the conceal carry bill in NJ.

Getting my firearms ID card was actually very easy. It could have been done in one month easy... the real problem came from getting my references to fill out their paperwork, notarize it, and mail it back! Because of this the whole process took over 6 wks, yes, not bad for a lot of cities in Jersey as I hear.

To any others living in JC I also found out that a lot of their "official" and tedious paperwork is pretty much BS!! After going through all that and getting mine, my wife started her process. They kind of new me at the station now, since its about a block away, and I kept bugging them as I was waiting for mine... and with her reference forms, all I had to do is have the ref fill it out and fax it in!! a 5 min. job!!

I think your referring to the Taurus PT 845 thats in the center, could be mistaken for a S&W MP? I wish it was! Not a bad gun, my wife loves it, but definitley not a Smith. It was my first firearm purchase ever.

I misread, could of sworn you said 6 months. 6 weeks is really quick for jersey city. Did you have firearms from TX that you brought over or bought them all here?

The taurus looks nice, and from distance does look like the S&W M&P.

Ive only had my guns about 6 months here. Yeah the process is pretty smooth, and when I went back to apply for a couple new forms to purhase handguns, it only took about 5 days for them to be ready, and $2 per form. I have found that these forms burn a hole in my pocket, if I go into a gun store, and have a form that allows me to walk out with a handgun, Im in trouble! Im not getting any more for a while, and the wife seems to think this is enough handguns for now!! (she has no problem collecting multiple shoes though!)

I didnt bring any guns from TX, but I REALLY wish I did. Im a bit paranoid with having each gun registered with the state, as all it would take is a stroke of a pen and they would come and take them away. I would prefer to have at least one unregistered pistol in my possession, but I dont want to risk a serious felony like this. I found the one and only loophole to this, if i had a gun in tx, say in my family, and my father had given it to me, I could have just brought it down in the moving truck, in a box unloaded, no mags with it, and kept it in the house here.

Gun shop owners and police officers have both told me this is the only way I could keep an unregistered gun in my home. Of course none of them are lawyers so who really knows?

the gun I really want is the new Springfield XDM, but not until they make it in smaller cap. magazines. This gun looks amazing!