JMich3

First time AR owner needs guidance

So i recently ordered myself  my first AR . This will be my first experience with the AR platform and I’m thinking of taking a class on the basics, safety, operation and cleaning. Should i just take the one that TTC offers or is there a better route? If there’s any knowledgeable AR peeps out there that don’t mind spending a little bit of time helping a newbie I’d be willing to reimburse them however i can, range time, rounds, beer?

• Like 1

On 8/1/2018 at 11:49 AM, Zeke said:

Have you checked out AR section here?

@Golf battery good peoples.

What questions do you have?

Only cleaning tip i got yelled at for was not doing the extractor. Holy shit was it gummy with brass. Sooo take bcg all the way apart when cleaning.

I took mine out for the first time in 10k rounds or so and it was pretty "alright".  I only opened that up to change the spring purely as precaution.  Ran fine before & after.  If yours is loading up with brass so much that every outing you need to disassemble the extractor, I think you should invest in a new extractor.

1 hour ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

I took mine out for the first time in 10k rounds or so and it was pretty "alright".  I only opened that up to change the spring purely as precaution.  Ran fine before & after.  If yours is loading up with brass so much that every outing you need to disassemble the extractor, I think you should invest in a new extractor.

Or a new bolt.  One of the mating parts aint right if you are building up more than some carbon gunk in there. 

Heck. I've taken a couple of mine apart for thoroughness because I shot them in the rain. There really wasn't much to speak of in there at all after thousands of rounds. As for water.. well it's almost like shooting it gets that part really hot and heat makes water evaporate. ;)

4 hours ago, Pew Pew Plates said:

It’s a larue. 

7 hours ago, monmouth said:

Clean your rifle when it accuracy decreases, until then, it's fine.

I don't think that's good advice.  Do you drive your car until it doesn't run anymore?  

If you want to have confidence in your firearm preventive maintenance is a good idea.  Whether it's for serious social work or games.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

I don't think that's good advice.  Do you drive your car until it doesn't run anymore?  

If you want to have confidence in your firearm preventive maintenance is a good idea.  Whether it's for serious social work or games.

That's not a relevant comparison.  As far as firearm confidence, I have DOPE on my AR10 for clean bore shot and non.  Think about this, after how many rounds do you clean your rifle at the range?  If none but just when you get back home, ask yourself why?  If you knew accuracy decreases after "x" rounds due to bore condition thus requiring cleaning, then you do it at that moment.  If accuracy is consistent, keep going until it isn't.

Lastly, I never shoot junk/garbage ammo.

2 hours ago, monmouth said:

That's not a relevant comparison.  As far as firearm confidence, I have DOPE on my AR10 for clean bore shot and non.  Think about this, after how many rounds do you clean your rifle at the range?  If none but just when you get back home, ask yourself why?  If you knew accuracy decreases after "x" rounds due to bore condition thus requiring cleaning, then you do it at that moment.  If accuracy is consistent, keep going until it isn't.

Lastly, I never shoot junk/garbage ammo.

Cleaning your firearm is not just about restoring accuracy because you shot X number of rounds.  It's also about inspection to avoid breakdowns and ensuring proper lubrication and reliability.  Cleaning a small amount of copper fouling from the bore is a lot easier than the amount that causes accuracy to suffer. If you keep the bore clean you restore that counter back to zero before you reach X.  You may not be in a position to clean it when it reaches X.

I don't shoot cap ammo either.  Never did.

I will agree to disagree with you on this issue.  My way has worked for me for a long time.

• Like 2