capt14k

Prices of Black Rifles

It seem ARs that members dumped $1,200 into are selling for $400. Three Questions.

1. Why the low prices

2. Why buy anything but used

3. Do you regret building multiple ARs instead of buying Milsurps like the FN-49 which have doubled in price in the last year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old is inferior.
New is superior.
That is all.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

So black Rifles after a few hundred rounds lose 2/3 of their quality? They certainly don't make them like they used to.

1. Supply and demand

2. New can be found for less than $400

3. Nope

Current market value is a small factor in WHY one buys firearms. To each his own.

• Like 2

1. Supply and demand
3. Nope

Current market value is a small factor in WHY one buys firearms. To each his own.

The only new Rifles I have seen under $400 are PSA and other off name stuff. Granted I don't really look for new stuff.

I agree about market value to an extent. I buy what I want regardless of the market. I am price conscience in case God forbid I am ever in a situation where I have to sell quickly I want to be able to at least recoup what I paid. I don't see a reason to ever buy a Black Rifle new based on the prices; maybe if you are a competition shooter.

I bought a brand new, throw away black rifle as a kit, a Anderson lower and a Palmetto upper, for like $420.

It was supply and demand, and the "Perception of Quality", and the fear of missing out that caused prices to climb a few years ago. I remember right after the Sandy Hook shooting, standard black rifles were selling fro close to $2000, if you could find one.

The funny thing, this new $420 throw away black rifle fires 223 rounds just like those $2000 rifles.

I always buy new, just because, and I'm worth it!

27 minutes ago, capt14k said:

I don't see a reason to ever buy a Black Rifle new based on the prices; maybe if you are a competition shooter.

Someone new to shooting and wants an AR. They may shy away from building and don’t have the connnections (like wts areas on this forum) to find a used one from someone they trust. 

33 minutes ago, PK90 said:

A new what can be found for less than $400.00?

A used  PSA Freedom Rifle is maybe worth about $400.00,  Good luck trying to find a used LWRC or Noveski AR for $400.00. 

My grandmother used to tell me "people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing".

If all you see is a black rifle when you look at my SPR, that I spec'd and built, and told me it's only worth $400.00 I'd just laugh and walk away.  Not even worth arguing about because the person on the other end would have to know the difference between a pos and a quality rig. .  A rifle is worth the quality of the components put into it.  Just the match grade barrel and Geissele 2 stage fire control group in my SPR are worth well over $400.00.

Now, I'm not delusional, I put about $1,700.00 into my SPR but expect that it would sell for around $1,200.00 no problem to a serious buyer, because it has all the right stuff under the hood that would still cost more than that to build or buy today.  Besides, it has a proven track record of being a .25 moa rifle.  Anyway, it's a mute point cuz I'm ain't never selling that bitch.  It was my first build, I hit it out of the park, and she's soooooo sexy.

Anyway, the point is, yeah, there are people who panic bought basic ARs at peak prices and some are clueless as to actual market value as time goes on and the political climate changes.  But that does not make every AR worth $400.00.

• Like 2

A new what can be found for less than $400.00?
A used  PSA Freedom Rifle is maybe worth about $400.00,  Good luck trying to find a used LWRC or Noveski AR for $400.00. 
My grandmother used to tell me "people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing".
If all you see is a black rifle when you look at my SPR, that I spec'd and built, and told me it's only worth $400.00 I'd just laugh and walk away.  Not even worth arguing about because the person on the other end would have to know the difference between a pos and a quality rig. .  A rifle is worth the quality of the components put into it.  Just the match grade barrel and Geissele 2 stage fire control group in my SPR are worth well over $400.00.
Now, I'm not delusional, I put about $1,700.00 into my SPR but expect that it would sell for around $1,200.00 no problem to a serious buyer, because it has all the right stuff under the hood that would still cost more than that to build or buy today.  Besides, it has a proven track record of being a .25 moa rifle.  Anyway, it's a mute point cuz I'm ain't never selling that bitch.  It was my first build, I hit it out of the park, and she's soooooo sexy.
Anyway, the point is, yeah, there are people who panic bought basic ARs at peak prices and some are clueless as to actual market value as time goes on and the political climate changes.  But that does not make every AR worth $400.00.

I can agree with not every AR is the same or worth $400 however it seems that right now the used market is only commanding 1/2 to as low as 1/3 the new value. I would venture to guess if you spent $1700 the most you would get is $850. Doesn't make sense to me, but that is where the selling point seems to be.

11 minutes ago, capt14k said:

I can agree with not every AR is the same or worth $400 however it seems that right now the used market is only commanding 1/2 to as low as 1/3 the new value.

I don't see any AR's being sold for $250.00, which would be half the current going price of an average new PSA basic rifle.  Here's the rub.  Why buy a used rifle for $400.00 that someone (over)paid $800.00 for in 2014, when you can buy a brand spanking new entry level rifle for about $450.00.

The same can be applied to a LWRC rifle.  If someone bought a $2,000.00 LWRC for $3,500.00 in 2014, well, it sucks to be them.  They may get $1,400.00 for it today if they are lucky, but that's still $1,000.00 more than $400.00. 

I don't see any AR's being sold for $250.00, which would be half the current going price of an average new PSA basic rifle.  Here's the rub.  Why buy a used rifle for $400.00 that someone (over)paid $800.00 for in 2014, when you can buy a brand spanking new entry level rifle for about $450.00.
The same can be applied to a LWRC rifle.  If someone bought a $2,000.00 LWRC for $3,500.00 in 2014, well, it sucks to be them.  They may get $1,400.00 for it today if they are lucky, but that's still $1,000.00 more than $400.00. 
I am referring to the mid range and upper range Bushmaster, Alexander Arms, Stag, etc. I believe you commented on the post where the 2 ARs that he had $1,200 into each sold for $400 each.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

unless you're talking about the garand

Or FN-49, G43, French MAS, FN-FAL. And that is just the semis. Try buying a rifle with the craftsmanship of a 1908 Uruguayan, 1909 Peruvian, or even a Swiss K31 today. You will easily spend $2,500.

32 minutes ago, capt14k said:

I believe you commented on the post where the 2 ARs that he had $1,200 into each sold for $400 each.

I went and reviewed the 2forAR ad, did not see where $1,200.00 invested in each was mentioned.  That may have happened in PM, but not seen in thread.

• Like 1

I went and reviewed the 2forAR ad, did not see where $1,200.00 invested in each was mentioned.  That may have happened in PM, but not seen in thread.

My mistake it is just under the second rifle that it cost $1,200 to build. Still $1,200 sold for $400.

Just cause you dumped $1200, $1400, $1800 into it doesn't mean it's worth that much

You can buy an AR rifle kit in pretty much any caliber and config, for as low as $299 right now. $400 complete rifles are common.

I see what some people are asking for theirs in the marketplace and laugh. 

No offense but just because you blew $2k on some Lastname Tactical and Adjective Defense crap they sold you on at some rip off newbies "build an AR-15" class back in 2010 doesn't mean I'm going to waste my money it when I can literally get 3 of the same rifle brand new at the price you want for your old, used rifle with some comic book character sticker on it. 

The only reason anyone is even entertaining your offers is because you're on an NJ gun board. Go on a national forum and try selling at these prices you would be laughed off the boards. 

People can get mad all they want...less than 60 days left to do private sales. Time to swallow your pride, admit the real price, and sell for actual value. 

Just cause you dumped $1200, $1400, $1800 into it doesn't mean it's worth that much
You can buy an AR rifle kit in pretty much any caliber and config, for as low as $299 right now. $400 complete rifles are common.
I see what some people are asking for theirs in the marketplace and laugh. 
No offense but just because you blew $2k on some Lastname Tactical and Adjective Defense crap they sold you on at some rip off newbies "build an AR-15" class back in 2010 doesn't mean I'm going to waste my money it when I can literally get 3 of the same rifle brand new at the price you want for your old, used rifle with some comic book character sticker on it. 
The only reason anyone is even entertaining your offers is because you're on an NJ gun board. Go on a national forum and try selling at these prices you would be laughed off the boards. 
People can get mad all they want...less than 60 days left to do private sales. Time to swallow your pride, admit the real price, and sell for actual value. 

I have to agree. I see a lot of bumps on some ads with little price drops. I have one AR for sale and I have dropped the price from $900 to $650. Now I am getting responses. I started at $900 because I had no idea what it was worth. I'm not losing money at $650. People who paid $1,200-3,000 for $600 ARs post Sandy Hook bought into the panic. With such a glut of inventory in private hands and the best salesman in firearms history no longer being POTUS I expect firearms prices to continue to fall. That includes Milsurps. The more used firearms that hit the market the more prices will fall. Simple supply and demand. This will also drag down the prices of new firearms. $250 slightly used entry level ARs are not too far away.

Why anyone would buy an AR TYPE in NJ now is crazy 

Post Sandy process were insane due to panic...

I AM surprised we have not seen that yet here now....but without a chance of grandfathering, again I am not surprised.....

HOWEVER, if you were going to buy one, FTF On COE is the way to go.

• Like 1

Let me clarify my ad which was 2 for $800...

The snake rattle job was a build from scratch. I had $1200 into it and it was when stuff was higher priced. I couldn’t get $800 for just the one gun at a the time.
The other, (never said $1200 was put into it. Ad is still there if you want to clarify)... was a rebuilt with some new parts. A brand new Aero flat top upper. Orig, it was the typical carry handle model. Sold that upper quite awhile ago. The other part that cost me was a boron bolt carrier group. There were other parts like a brand new Matech rear sight, Magpul stock and such was also added.

I got the good deal on the LWRC DI, so this sale paid for most of it.

Bottom line. Had too many ARs, not enough room in safe and even though I bought the LWRC, I really didn’t want to. But couldn’t pass up a good deal.

I swore I would never buy any more guns in NJ that needed to be neutered, butchered, etc. I was perfectly happy with what I own and any new guns will be bought in TN after I move. What few that move with me, will be put back or modded back to their original splendor or modified to accommodate a suppressor or whatever, in the free state.

So don’t base cost on my sale. It will always bug me that I lost money. But I saved some in another.
If I wanted to get rid of them fast, I cut low. I prob could have gotten more but didn’t want to deal with weeks of bumping and low ball offers.

• Like 1

Bhunted you did nothing wrong, and sold those rifles for precisely what they're worth.

You don't have to justify why you sold something for market value. The people who think they will get $1400 for the Lastname Tactical SOPMOD edition are the ones that should have to justify.

I'm not trying to call out anyone in particular but there is a particular hilariously expensive (non AR) listing that's been getting bumped for ages now and the buyer just doesn't get the hint. 

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Bottom line. Had too many ARs, not enough room in safe and even though I bought the LWRC, I really didn’t want to. But couldn’t pass up a good deal.

No such thing..lol. And if you really dont want it you know how to reach me..lol

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, mossburger said:

Bhunted you did nothing wrong, and sold those rifles for precisely what they're worth.

You don't have to justify why you sold something for market value. The people who think they will get $1400 for the Lastname Tactical SOPMOD edition are the ones that should have to justify.

I'm not trying to call out anyone in particular but there is a particular hilariously expensive (non AR) listing that's been getting bumped for ages now and the buyer just doesn't get the hint. 

Customizing is personal. You’ll never get a return.

But these tools have a purpose. I have a hard time selling tools.

• Like 1

I had corrected the $1,200 cost was for the one rifle. There are also 2 other ARS that sold for $400 just on this forum.

As for certain customizations, especially paint, no one is going to pay the extra you did. Especially if it destroys the original look. The value is whatever the base value is and possibly less the cost of new furniture.

50 minutes ago, Zeke said:

But these tools have a purpose. I have a hard time selling tools.

Me too, just ask my wife...

To quote from a popular movie: "We're going to need a bigger boat garage"....

• Like 1