67gtonut

Home security cameras

9 minutes ago, EWC88 said:

What are people running? Looking to get exterior and maybe even some interior cameras. Curious on where people have bought there’s and reviews on them. 

I hope you don't mind...but I merged your post with an earlier thread that was started only a year ago. I suggest you buzz through the earlier posts to see what people were recommending.. it might give you some ideas, and then you can post more specific questions to see if anything has changed much in the last year.

1 hour ago, EWC88 said:

What are people running? Looking to get exterior and maybe even some interior cameras. Curious on where people have bought there’s and reviews on them. 

Not enough information on how you want to use and access the cameras.

Do you want to store video or just view live video? Store how, DVR, Cloud or flash drive?

Wired or wireless? If wired, can you get cables to the camera locations?

What are you actually looking to view, how big of an area?

How many cameras?

Is night vision important?

Is clarity important (being able to zoom in)?

How will you access and view the video? What devices and from where?

Budget?

Installation, are you going to install yourself or hire someone?

Do you want a professional system that protects your entire property or just a novelty camera, like the Ring video doorbell?

--------

Lots of decisions and details needed before a system can be suggested.

I've got two each of these cheap cams from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075K89NTR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KGNB58/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They are 1080P and one is real wide angle the other has pan and tilt on it that I can control from my phone.  They both record to SD cards and also connect to my LAN.  I can record to the hard drive and I mirror the stored files to my Google Drive account all at no monthly fee.  Predominantly have them so I can watch the dogs when I am not home.

On 7/3/2017 at 2:04 PM, 67gtonut said:

I was looking for a camera just to see if my dog walker actually showed up. I bought a really heap camera called Yi on Amazon. It’s about 30 bucks. Records 24 hours to a memory card or you can subscribe to their cloud service. I have it over a year and not a single problem. 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:57 PM, Malsua said:

I'm a houseboat guy :), shot this yesterday.

Do you have your house boat here this year? I forgot you slipped at Viking.I go to breezes once in a while seven stone and clutch dog are friends of mine that play there. been by boat twice this year. have to give you a holler to say hello.

I've got two each of these cheap cams from Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075K89NTR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KGNB58/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
They are 1080P and one is real wide angle the other has pan and tilt on it that I can control from my phone.  They both record to SD cards and also connect to my LAN.  I can record to the hard drive and I mirror the stored files to my Google Drive account all at no monthly fee.  Predominantly have them so I can watch the dogs when I am not home.

I got a Wansview outdoor ptz. Took a hit tonight with this fast moving storm. Sux because was a pretty good cam. Hopefully the ps just barfed. Will ts tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the responses. I am looking for the camera to do night vision, would want at min 2 exterior and 2 interior but thinking maybe best to do 4 and 4. Far as wireless or wired, either or, wireless is a plus but I’d be worried it losing signal at the most important time. Storage is a must just in case god forbid I need to go back and look, I’m young but still clueless on this cloud crap, so DVR or flash drive be easiest. Accessing the cameras, whether I need a tablet, or do on my phone either or doesn’t bother me. The one camera will be by my front door that’s under a porch with roof so far as distance on that is small, but my rear is where I would want to get more distance, I own a acre, not looking to see the ant at the end of my property but some distance is good. I’d perfer to install because I’m anal and want to make sure if wired the wires are absolutely impossible to find and I’ll make it clean. 

Budget, always a good one. Not looking at dropping a couple grand, I’m cool with the $500-$750 range but if I need to spend more it’s fine, it is a safety insurance so how could you put a price on that...

28 minutes ago, EWC88 said:

I am looking for the camera to do night vision, would want at min 2 exterior and 2 interior but thinking maybe best to do 4 and 4. Far as wireless or wired, either or, wireless is a plus but I’d be worried it losing signal at the most important time.

Go wired versus wireless, no signals or drop offs to worry about. Plus, go with a DVR, you'll have months of storage, in case you have to go back and find a video clip, and it's stored locally, not on the cloud.

https://www.amazon.com/Q-See-Surveillance-QC968-4DX-2-8-Channel-Security/dp/B06XF2SJB5/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1533692043&sr=1-1

Here's one with 4 outside cameras but 8 channels. You can add the ones you want for inside, or even mix them up, depending on what you want to see. All cameras have different focal lengths, different night vision ability, etc. so you can find a separate camera for a particular application. You might want a smaller pinhole type camera for inside so it's not as visible.

On 7/2/2017 at 2:01 PM, bhunted said:

I know people will critique and bust my balls. But I've been using Foscam for many years and only replaced them years down the pike because sales or tech upgrades. I have several around the house. No subscriptions, easy setup and now, if desired, can record to a mem card, your puter , phone or whatever. Just needs electric and a wiffy signal.
I thought about the later like Ring, Nest, erc. All good, but expensive.
None of which are pan and tilt. Throw a Foscam in your garage for an average of 80 bux and you are good to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PM'd you ....

Need advice

• Like 1

Speaking of Foscam, I had one for years with no issues until it freaked my wife out and she made me throw it away.  We were in the kitchen one day and a voice came across it saying hello, hello, hello.  Don't know how this happened as I changed the username and password from the defaults.

1 hour ago, Howard said:

Speaking of Foscam, I had one for years with no issues until it freaked my wife out and she made me throw it away.  We were in the kitchen one day and a voice came across it saying hello, hello, hello.  Don't know how this happened as I changed the username and password from the defaults.

Image result for decepticon toaster

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Howard said:

We were in the kitchen one day and a voice came across it saying hello, hello, hello.  Don't know how this happened as I changed the username and password from the defaults.

This is why you NEVER use the cloud for video storage, or any other storage of files, photos, documents, etc.

If you don't hold it, you don't control it.

Also, even using a basic password like "1,2,3,4" will get you hacked, just ask John Podesta.

• Like 1

I have a Lorex system that i put in around a year ago. took me a good day by myself to run the wires for the 5 cameras i set it up with, but i also snaked most of the wiring through the siding outside of the house as access to where i wanted the cameras in the eves was difficult. could have done it quicker if i had better access to the crawl space.

I started out with this

https://www.lorextechnology.com/hd-dvr-security-system/complete-4-camera-hd-home-security-system-with-led-monitor/MPX84MW-1-p

then added another camera and some longer wiring

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SuRrEaLNJ said:

took me a good day by myself to run the wires for the 5 cameras i set it up with, but i also snaked most of the wiring through the siding outside of the house as access to where i wanted the cameras in the eves was difficult. could have done it quicker if i had better access to the crawl space.

My system is hard wired too, and I agree, snaking the wires to the locations you want is a MAJOR PITA. I was able to get most through the attic, but I have trusses up there, so climbing through them sucks. I had to get creative in getting a few cables run to a few locations. I have 9 cameras on my primary system and my DVR is also hard wired into my personal router and then piggy-backed to the Comcast router so I can control access to it.

I wouldn't run any camera system wireless on WiFi or through the Cloud. Too many issues with reliability and possible loss of connection or data. These systems are too valuable to cut corners with.

30 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

My system is hard wired too, and I agree, snaking the wires to the locations you want is a MAJOR PITA. I was able to get most through the attic, but I have trusses up there, so climbing through them sucks. I had to get creative in getting a few cables run to a few locations. I have 9 cameras on my primary system and my DVR is also hard wired into my personal router and then piggy-backed to the Comcast router so I can control access to it.

I wouldn't run any camera system wireless on WiFi or through the Cloud. Too many issues with reliability and possible loss of connection or data. These systems are too valuable to cut corners with.

We have a whole house fan that i would have needed to take out to get into whats left of the attic, wasn't worth the effort.i ran the cat 5 through the basement to the router. 

when i was shoping i didnt want anthing wireless.

we have 2 different baby monitors for the cameras in their rooms, rather then one linked wifi system to minimize the ability for them to be screwed with

Another +1 for hardwired POE to Blue Iris. Full nerd-out capabilities on BI. Runs great on my media server running Plex, couchpotato, etc.

Set it and forget it. Don’t mess with batteries, my bro in law got battery system for Xmas, I was there last month and all cameras were DOWN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, EWC88 said:

I do want to have smaller cameras for interior so it’s not noticeable as well as eye sore to the lovely decor lol. 

You can buy small pinhole type cameras that are hard wired. I have them, you could easily conceal them in some sort of plant or decoration, if needed.

mini-cctv-pinhole-spy-camera-1.jpg

MC91AP36.jpg

Oh that’s nice I like that! Question with the setup you recommended, is there anyway to have it so we can check on our phones for live footage? Girlfriend just mentioned how she’d like to be able to check cameras at times when at work or whatever.

44 minutes ago, EWC88 said:

Question with the setup you recommended, is there anyway to have it so we can check on our phones for live footage?

Yes, most of the hard wired DVRs today have smartphone apps so you can access the DVR remotely and watch live video or play back recorded video. Just check with the DVR manufacturer to make sure they have an app before you buy it. My main system is a Q-See, and I can control most of the viewing and settings from my phone, tablet or computer besides the DVR itself.