sroc112

Moved back to Monmouth County

Good evening, moved back to Monmouth County (Tinton Falls) and looking for some input and feedback on some nearby shops and ranges. Right now I am more interested in establishing a new range to go to, but also have a few toys on my wishlist that I’ll eventually need a shop for. I used to shot at RTSP in Randolph but looking for something closer. In regard to shops, I have no experience with any shops south of Union County, but am looking for stores with a large selection of product and not know to price gouge, like RTSP was known for.

I second Monmouth Arms. Steve can get whatever you want at a great price and the visits are always highly entertaining :).

I shoot at Union Hill Gun Club. Legend Firearms is also there.

Howell Gun Works is a nice shop with good selection. Modern Materiel in Keyport is great if you need any custom work

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chocodove said:

I second Monmouth Arms. Steve can get whatever you want at a great price and the visits are always highly entertaining :).

I shoot at Union Hill Gun Club. Legend Firearms is also there.

Howell Gun Works is a nice shop with good selection. Modern Materiel in Keyport is great if you need any custom work

middletown here, never heard of modern material.  what who?

1 hour ago, jrfly3006 said:

Also cast my vote for Steve at Monmouth Arms...rangewise I belong to CJRPC..they have indoor pistol range and everything outdoor also..welcome to the neighborhood

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

the only real option for us really, everything else is just not good enough imho

3 hours ago, sroc112 said:

Good evening, moved back to Monmouth County (Tinton Falls) and looking for some input and feedback on some nearby shops and ranges. Right now I am more interested in establishing a new range to go to, but also have a few toys on my wishlist that I’ll eventually need a shop for. I used to shot at RTSP in Randolph but looking for something closer. In regard to shops, I have no experience with any shops south of Union County, but am looking for stores with a large selection of product and not know to price gouge, like RTSP was known for.

Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club is an easy drive from Tinton Falls.  Indoor range rated for up to .45 cal pistol rounds (no magnums, but pistol caliber carbines are OK).  Outdoor range is 7 pits PLUS a dedicated scattergun range for clay birds.  No need to be a One Trick Pony & you're your own R-O!  http://www.obrpc.org 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

middletown here, never heard of modern material.  what who?

Modern Materiel/GSD Coating is technically in Laurence Harbor on Rt 35 but has a Keyport Mailing address.

http://modernmateriel.com/

In addition to manufacturing their own line of AR15 rifles (with the coolest rollmark ever - "Keyport, NJ") they are a full service FFL with a small pro shop stocked with some really nice gear, and they do custom coating and milling work.

I use them for everything now, and they are very close to us in Middletown.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Modern Materiel/GSD Coating is technically in Laurence Harbor on Rt 35 but has a Keyport Mailing address.

http://modernmateriel.com/

In addition to manufacturing their own line of AR15 rifles (with the coolest rollmark ever - "Keyport, NJ") they are a full service FFL with a small pro shop stocked with some really nice gear, and they do custom coating and milling work.

I use them for everything now, and they are very close to us in Middletown.

Outstanding, that's great to know as much as I love Steve and I do love Steve, sometimes it's hard to get all the way out there so it's nice to have another option. I'll check them out. Thank you

Besides the ones listed in this post that are close to us are 

legend firearms in Monroe, ira has great price’s an a great selection 

legacy firearms in shark river (closest to you) Ron Griggs is a great guy with a lot of collector pieces an everything u wanna know about trap skeet an 5 stand 

garden state in Lakewood, haven’t been there since new owners    Range there also 

shore shot in lakewood   Range also  I’m not a fan of them at all 

An savage cerakote in old bridge (soon to be in a bigger store in south river) who had the best prices, in house cerakote, gunsmithing, milling compliance work 

ranges in this are are limited    The two indoor on Lakewood, old bride cjrpc an uhgc which are private    

Ron Griggoletto is a great guy, Legacy Firearms, and yes, anything to do with shotguns he is the man! Household FFL so by appointment only.

Ira at Legend Firearms is a blast! Regular brick and mortar store so much easier to get to hours-wise. The new Union Hill Road Gun Glub is also part of the same building, private indoor range.

I prefer private ranges, much safer. Union Hill, OBRPC, and CJRPC are all 24/7 indoor with key cards. Can't say what the public ranges are in Lakewood. I have been to both, but will stick with the private clubs...........

For an good indoor range, I prefer Garden State Shooting Center! Very good indoor pistol range, that you can also use pistol caliber carbines, such as a Marlin Camp Carbine. G S S C is at least a million times better than the original store there. Also, G S S C has an excellent selection of new & used guns in the case, and a great selection of ammo. I have been a member there since it opened there in July 2015, it is a really great range, with great range safety officers.  

I highly recommend Garden State Shooting Center in Lakewood where I was a member for three years until recently.  Tony and Jeff are great guys and always gave me excellent service.  However this year I  joined Union Hill Gun Club(private range, 24 hours access) and am very happy there.  Top notch operation. Ira/Legend Firearms are inside the building and is a good guy to deal with. 

I'm digging up this year-old thread....

I also live in Tinton Falls.  A few here recommended Garden State over ShoreShot. How's it better? I'm a new gun owner (one pistol so far: CZ 75 Compact PCR) and I've been to ShoreShot twice and both times, I got sick for a couple of days....sore throat, cold, etc. Just a coincidence? Really strange because I don't get sick often. They're a fairly newly renovated facility so I figure the HVAC and the filtering system is good as well. Both times, I went in winter which was cold inside, but it wasn't even that busy. Maybe I'm allergic to the ammo... lead, etc. I hope not. I even use latex gloves while cleaning firearms. That's why I'm going to Garden State next. 

I dealt with Ron Griggoletto at Legacy Firearms as well. He works out of his basement in Wall which is a 5 minute drive from me. His basement is a sight to be seen; pure firearm-related where ever you look down there.  If you buy online, his FFL fees aren't bad. I would definitely use him again when I make my next purchase.  I also met Steve at Monmouth Arms. Very nice guy as well. Every time I'm there, I find myself in great conversation for at least an hour... politics, firearms, you name it! 

Glad to be here! 

grazzie

17 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Heya Grazzie, welcome to NJGF and hi from a fellow Monmouth county resident.

Hey. Thanks for the welcome. What's your favorite range? I've only been to Shore Shot and will try Garden State very soon. If I keep getting a sore throat from indoor ranges, I'm going to start going to Range-14. Only $60 a year is great but it's over a 50 min drive. 

Sadly I haven’t been shooting all that much since moving down here towards the end of 2017.  I’ve mainly gone to GSSC (Garden State Shooting Center), including a NJGF range gathering  recently, and I occasionally go to a private club that has an outdoor range when a friend who is a member can guest me in.  

23 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Sadly I haven’t been shooting all that much since moving down here towards the end of 2017.  I’ve mainly gone to GSSC (Garden State Shooting Center), including a NJGF range gathering  recently, and I occasionally go to a private club that has an outdoor range when a friend who is a member can guest me in.  

That's cool. Hopefully I'll be hitting up GSSC this week or next.

On 8/4/2019 at 12:25 AM, grazzie said:

I'm digging up this year-old thread....

I also live in Tinton Falls.  A few here recommended Garden State over ShoreShot. How's it better? I'm a new gun owner (one pistol so far: CZ 75 Compact PCR) and I've been to ShoreShot twice and both times, I got sick for a couple of days....sore throat, cold, etc. Just a coincidence? Really strange because I don't get sick often. They're a fairly newly renovated facility so I figure the HVAC and the filtering system is good as well. Both times, I went in winter which was cold inside, but it wasn't even that busy. Maybe I'm allergic to the ammo... lead, etc. I hope not. I even use latex gloves while cleaning firearms. That's why I'm going to Garden State next. 

I dealt with Ron Griggoletto at Legacy Firearms as well. He works out of his basement in Wall which is a 5 minute drive from me. His basement is a sight to be seen; pure firearm-related where ever you look down there.  If you buy online, his FFL fees aren't bad. I would definitely use him again when I make my next purchase.  I also met Steve at Monmouth Arms. Very nice guy as well. Every time I'm there, I find myself in great conversation for at least an hour... politics, firearms, you name it! 

Glad to be here! 

grazzie

Although I moved a little over a year ago, when I was still in NJ I lived in Ocean county and definitely preferred Garden State over Shore Shot for indoor ranges. I just got a better vibe at GSSC. With that said, I preferred making the drive to Range 14. If you give me a choice between outside and inside shooting, I'll almost always take outside. No need to worry about the ventilation when you're outside, and I don't have someone with a 12 ga four feet away in an enclosed space rattling my fillings loose. ;) I never got to try CJRPC. I couldn't bring myself to pay the near $1000 first year price tag when I had a feeling I would be moving for work.

4 hours ago, Persona non grata said:

Although I moved a little over a year ago, when I was still in NJ I lived in Ocean county and definitely preferred Garden State over Shore Shot for indoor ranges. I just got a better vibe at GSSC. With that said, I preferred making the drive to Range 14. If you give me a choice between outside and inside shooting, I'll almost always take outside. No need to worry about the ventilation when you're outside, and I don't have someone with a 12 ga four feet away in an enclosed space rattling my fillings loose. ;) I never got to try CJRPC. I couldn't bring myself to pay the near $1000 first year price tag when I had a feeling I would be moving for work.

Thanks for your opinion on Garden State and Shore Shot . At Range 14, do they have target stands to attach your targets to? And I think I read on Range-14's website that the minimum target distance is 15 yards? At the indoor range, I'm still doing 7 yards. I guess I'll have to get bigger targets for R-14!:)

6 hours ago, grazzie said:

At Range 14, do they have target stands to attach your targets to? And I think I read on Range-14's website that the minimum target distance is 15 yards?

R-14 does not provide target stands.  You will see a variety of store bought and homemade target stands on the range.  Some of the more popular ones are DIY stands made of PVC and lumber.   Just be aware that targets cannot be taller than 5'.

IMG_2596.jpg

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

R-14 does not provide target stands.  You will see a variety of store bought and homemade target stands on the range.  Some of the more popular ones are DIY stands made of PVC and lumber.   Just be aware that targets cannot be taller than 5'.

IMG_2596.jpg

I don’t know if it changed, but when I was going to R14 you could buy targets on wooden stands for pretty cheap from the range ($2 per is what I remember). Just have to dig a hole and put the target in. 

@grazzie Range 14 does indeed require all targets to be 15 yards or longer. I didn’t find it to be that big of a deal. You get used to it pretty quick. 

1 minute ago, Persona non grata said:

don’t know if it changed, but when I was going to R14 you could buy targets on wooden stands for pretty cheap

They still have them, and they are garbage, always falling apart.  I've seen a stiff gust rip the cardboard off the stake, and using the post hole digger is a PITA.    They are kinda low to the ground too. 

A hardwood 5' landscape stake with a quarter sheet of coroplast (same stuff as yard signs)  stapled to it is far more reliable.  You can fit 4 to 8 targets on a 2'x4' sheet.  They make good rifle targets but not very good for pistol when shooting for CoM.  For pistol, you need something with two stakes like the PVC stands.

Thanks!  Seems easy enough to make one. I guess 1 1/2" PVC would work OK. Maybe the Sch 40 thicker PVC would be better. Probably wouldn't even need to cement the joints (or at least some of them) for easier storage. Thx.

Also: I'd probably use coroplast instead of the cardboard backers.

I was reading their website. Do they provide chamber flags or I need to buy them?