Zeke

Your best guesstimate on... part 1

1 minute ago, PK90 said:

Define crazy

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

Let’s say under current modern psychology standards. Like schizophrenia etc

2 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Define "crazy".

Because owning guns makes you crazy in Liberals eyes.  Yet, I feel people on the far left are crazy.

So, 80%?

You need to get out more.

If you're talking about what the mental health pro's label "serious mental illness" (e.g., schizophrenia, schizo-affective disorder, bipolar disorder, etc.) - it's a bit less than 5 percent of the population. However, because they are such life-altering conditions, the folks with these conditions are grossly overrepresented in certain populations - like the homeless and prisoners in jails/prisons.  

Do I get a gold star? ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

If you're talking about what the mental health pro's label "serious mental illness" (e.g., schizophrenia, schizo-affective disorder, bipolar disorder, etc.) - it's a bit less than 5 percent of the population. However, because they are such life-altering conditions, the folks with these conditions are grossly overrepresented in certain populations - like the homeless and prisoners in jails/prisons.  

Do I get a gold star? ;)

What is medium mental illness?

4 minutes ago, Zeke said:

What is medium mental illness?

The other category is "all mental illness" which encompasses everything from mild conditions (like things requiring no intervention) to moderate conditions that people might use medication and/or therapy for and includes the serious category as well. Under that definition, about 20 percent of the population is deemed to have a mental illness (again, a TON of mild conditions in there - anything in the DSM-IV - the guide that says whether something's a mental disorder or not).

• Like 1

Even people with "Like schizophrenia" may still be able to function.  Haven't you seen the movie "A Beautiful Mind".  He was defintley "legitimately crazy" but still (mostly) able to function.

But I would guestimate the figure you are inquiring about is probably very low.  Like 1/10 of one percent.  

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Whoa! That goes from 1/20 to 1 in 5

Actually, the total amount of people taking some sort of psychiatric drug in 2017 was closer to 1 in 4, over 80 MILLION people. The question is, what's the definition of "legitimately crazy"?

Even still, that's a crap load of people relying on mind altering drugs for one reason or another.

https://www.cchrint.org/psychiatric-drugs/people-taking-psychiatric-drugs/

When the "music stops", these will be the people to watch out for when their Rx runs out.

drug.jpg

20% must include anti depressants, anxiety meds, etc.. cuz thats crazy high. I could see 5% and even that is pretty high for serious mental illness.. 

Depression? I could easily see 1 in 5 actively, currently on meds at any given time.

Unfortunately crazy isn't the best term to use, not so much do its perjorative meaning, but because is just too vague.  Even "mentally ill" is vague.  There is a small percentage of people with what can be described as chronic mental illness, with an even smaller percentage of those who are considered dangerous due to treatment noncompliance at a given time.  There are also groups of people who fit better into categories including developmentally disabled, orsubstance users.  Yes, not everyone fits neatly into a category.

And then there's a category that may be best described as "They must have been mentally ill because they just did/killed....."  and that vague category can include just about anybody, including gun owners.  This category just got more pronounced thanks to the legislature voting to expand ithe state's duty to warn law, which as you can imagine or plainly see can easily take circumstances way out of context, to the point of having ones firearms confiscated even if they are not the identified patient.

Now that mental illness (including depression ) as become more mainstream in society, it seems to call for a change in how it is dealt with and how the terms are defined.  So far I am not a fan of the New Jersey changes.

9 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

20% must include anti depressants, anxiety meds, etc.. cuz thats crazy high. I could see 5% and even that is pretty high for serious mental illness.. 

Depression? I could easily see 1 in 5 actively, currently on meds at any given time.

Yes, the 20% number includes all of that - depression, anxiety, mild OCD, even autism, ADHD, etc., etc. Lots of conditions that people live with and still have high-functioning lives.

10 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Even people with "Like schizophrenia" may still be able to function.  Haven't you seen the movie "A Beautiful Mind".  He was defintley "legitimately crazy" but still (mostly) able to function.

That professor was the rare exception to the rule. Sadly, schizophrenia is a real struggle for most people that suffer from it, results in higher-than-average suicide rates, etc. The meds are awful - with unpleasant side effects - and so patients tend to go off their meds and then all the symptoms return. And how could you possibly get through your day when dealing with hallucinations or scrambled thoughts? Generally, as with that professor, the small number of people who are able to maintain some equilibrium have an incredibly strong support network (spouse, parents, etc.) that help them stay on track. 

Sad fact: the institutions in the U.S. with the MOST mentally ill people are NOT psychiatric hospitals - these are usually on the list: the Chicago jail system, LA jails and NY's Richter's Island. Clearly, we are doing a lousy job of dealing with mental illness in this country.

14 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

And how could you possibly get through your day when dealing with hallucinations or scrambled thoughts?

I've always found it easy enough.   :)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

The meds are awful - with unpleasant side effects - and so patients tend to go off their meds and then all the symptoms return. And how could you possibly get through your day when dealing with hallucinations or scrambled thoughts?

That's a good point, and why it's tough to determine the definition of  "crazy". Many people are able to maintain a normal life with the addition of these SSRI drugs, but if they go off of them, can go back to doing "crazy" behaviors. The fact that so many are on them concerns me, the chart above has 80 million on some sort of control drug. That's 25% of the population.

If something goes on where they don't get their medication, what do they revert to????  I know two people on SSRI drugs and if they were to go off of them, I wouldn't turn my back if they were in the room....

7 hours ago, father-of-three said:

And then there's a category that may be best described as "They must have been mentally ill because they just did/killed.....

In that regard, almost every mass shooter in the past years was reported to have some sort of mental illness or strange behaviors by the people who knew them. I think most people would consider them "crazy" to go in a shoot up a room full of people. The thing that I tried to find out, unsuccessfully, on those guys, was were they on some sort of SSRI drug and then came off or had a break in dosage, which cause them to commit these instances? HIPPA laws apparently prevented that information to come out.