Zeke

Your best guesstimate on... part 1

5 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Many people are able to maintain a normal life with the addition of these SSRI drugs, but if they go off of them, can go back to doing "crazy" behaviors.

Just to clarify, SSRIs are a class of drugs used primarily to treat depression. People diagnosed with psychotic symptoms are usually treated with "anti-psychotics", a totally different class of drugs.

Although, I think your point is that a very small percentage of patients (especially young ones) have shown troubling, impulsive behavior - suicidal ideation, rage leading to violence, etc. - while on SSRIs, and yes, a number of mass killers were on them. I guess what I wonder is… were those episodes a side effect of the drug more so than some inherent tendency?

Long story short, I do suspect SSRIs have been way over-prescribed in children and adolescents... we just don't know what the long-term impact of them will be on brain development. Without enough long-term data, we're using kids as guinea pigs IMO.

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

That's a good point, and why it's tough to determine the definition of  "crazy". Many people are able to maintain a normal life with the addition of these SSRI drugs, but if they go off of them, can go back to doing "crazy" behaviors. The fact that so many are on them concerns me, the chart above has 80 million on some sort of control drug.

In that regard, almost every mass shooter in the past years was reported to have some sort of mental illness or strange behaviors by the people who knew them. I think most people would consider them "crazy" to go in a shoot up a room full of people. The thing that I tried to find out, unsuccessfully, on those guys, was were they on some sort of SSRI drug and then came off or had a break in dosage, which cause them to commit these instances? HIPPA laws apparently prevented that information to come out.

I agree with you.  However it appears to be very vague in how one defines mental illness.  Even "strange behavior" into necessarily mental illness.  There is diagnogstic criteria which I find tend to not be discussed.   I also agree with you on the medication issue.  We are dealing with mood altering substances which can have negative results if not monitored correctly.  

My main concern is how mental illness is defined, as I believe New Jersey already has a more restrictive definition of mental illness with regards to firearms purchases.  What I do not like is laws that are fashioned to be purposefully vague.

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Just to clarify, SSRIs are a class of drugs used primarily to treat depression. People diagnosed with psychotic symptoms are usually treated with "anti-psychotics", a totally different class of drugs.

True, they're use in most cases for depression, but I've also seen them prescribed for panic disorder, social anxiety, obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety and PTSD. So, who knows what else they've been prescribed for?

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I guess what I wonder is… were those episodes a side effect of the drug more so than some inherent tendency?

Exactly, the wind up and wind down side effects when starting and stopping causes some strange behavior. Plus, we don't know what else they could be taking as part of their treatment. Maintaining the correct therapeutic dosages has always been the key to stabilized behavior, and once that's been messed with, it might be why we seen these rampages.

my question on some of those stats, particularly on the 0-1 1-2 age groups. there is no differentiating as to why. My son is on things you wouldn't expect him to be on to combat some of the side effects from his BMT as well as to combat the side efects from the meds... its kind of a vicious cycle. in there were a few antidepressants as alot of those meds do have other medical uses, so im not sure that the statistics are telling of the true story.

that being said there is, like in any field, good doctors and bad doctors. ive seen some bad doctors, including one who almost killed me as a minor, the effects of which ive still been feeling almost 2 decades later. some really just throw prescriptions with kickbacks at patients and hope their lucky.

3 hours ago, Handyman said:

Zeke has multiple personalities. He's saving part 2 for when he puts on his dress and wig, like Norman Bates.

I’m starting to think you might be 1/50

Or proof positive weak minds should not take strong drugs

20% of the overall population take some sort of psychiatric drug.
In adults, it's even higher.

That's because they are over prescribed. When most men worked manual labor they were too tired to have any mental problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Did you see some of the other stats there? That 3.6% was only in the last 30 DAYS!

• Percent of adults aged 18 and over with serious psychological distress in the past 30 days: 3.6%
  • Number of visits to physician offices with mental disorders as the primary diagnosis: 59.8 million
  • Number of visits to emergency departments with mental disorders as the primary diagnosis: 5.7 million
  • Number of suicide deaths: 42,773
  • Suicide deaths per 100,000 population: 13.4

29 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Did you see some of the other stats there? That 3.6% was only in the last 30 DAYS!

• Percent of adults aged 18 and over with serious psychological distress in the past 30 days: 3.6%
  • Number of visits to physician offices with mental disorders as the primary diagnosis: 59.8 million
  • Number of visits to emergency departments with mental disorders as the primary diagnosis: 5.7 million
  • Number of suicide deaths: 42,773
  • Suicide deaths per 100,000 population: 13.4

Crazy numbers...

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 11:09 AM, Zeke said:

Crazy numbers...

Since you like "crazy" numbers, feast on this. I just saw this article today, when you look at the total numbers, it really makes you wonder...

Looks like it could be a great investment opportunity, I'm going to invest in metal cages and straight jackets... :)

Antipsychotic Drugs Market to Touch High growth during forecast period 2017-2022

Following are some estimates about psychosis according to the World Health Organization (WHO):

Depression affects an estimated 300 million people in the world.

Bipolar affective disorder takes a toll on about 60 million people worldwide.

Schizophrenia, a severe mental disorder, affects about 21 million people worldwide.

Dementia has a prevalence in about 47.5 million people worldwide.

One fourth of people are affected by mental or neurological disorders at some point in their lives.

The current number of untapped patients are of an order of around 450 million currently suffering from such conditions.

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/antipsychotic-drugs-market-to-touch-high-growth-during-forecast-period-2017-2022-2018-08-13

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Since you like "crazy" numbers, feast on this. I just saw this article today, when you look at the total numbers, it really makes you wonder...

Looks like it could be a great investment opportunity, I'm going to invest in metal cages and straight jackets... :)

Antipsychotic Drugs Market to Touch High growth during forecast period 2017-2022

Following are some estimates about psychosis according to the World Health Organization (WHO):

Depression affects an estimated 300 million people in the world.

Bipolar affective disorder takes a toll on about 60 million people worldwide.

Schizophrenia, a severe mental disorder, affects about 21 million people worldwide.

Dementia has a prevalence in about 47.5 million people worldwide.

One fourth of people are affected by mental or neurological disorders at some point in their lives.

The current number of untapped patients are of an order of around 450 million currently suffering from such conditions.

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-release/antipsychotic-drugs-market-to-touch-high-growth-during-forecast-period-2017-2022-2018-08-13

Global TDS?

• Like 1