Mrs. Peel

Tire Rack: good source? or bad?

5 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I don't believe you! Or Sniper22. I think you're both messing with me. You don't need to "change the air" in the tires. That's utterly ridiculous! I may not know a lot about tires, but I'm not a dumb bunny, ya know! :angry:

Welll.... I get 80k out of tires. But I switch air quarterly

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

If I had any idea what that meant... I'd answer it! LOL.

I buy all-season tires, if that's what you mean...? I just don't have the right storage situation at my house to have 2 sets of tires. 

Color me confused! Or are you talking about the air pressure in the tires? Ummm, yeah... I let my mechanic worry about that when I bring the car in for oil changes. That's how a "real chick" handles her car's tires. We outsource it!!

Winter tires are better than all season or summer tires in winter. To do so you have to deal with the expense of another set of tires and depending on your car maybe a couple of thousand more for another set of wheels.  There is also the issue if you get an opportunity to run down to FL do you make the run on your winter tires or put your summer tires back on.

While a good idea, the fact is 99% plus of the people get by just fine on a set of all season radials.

3 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

If I had any idea what that meant... I'd answer it! LOL.

I buy all-season tires, if that's what you mean...? I just don't have the right storage situation at my house to have 2 sets of tires. 

Color me confused! Or are you talking about the air pressure in the tires? Ummm, yeah... I let my mechanic worry about that when I bring the car in for oil changes. That's how a "real chick" handles her car's tires. We outsource it!!

running joke in our(mechanics) world. you need to change the winter air for the summer air. you need to change your blinker fluid too. and lubricate the muffler bearings

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I don't believe you! Or Sniper22. I think you're both messing with me. You don't need to "change the air" in the tires.

I also like to use the flavored air sometimes, ( Raspberry is my current favorite) as it makes the tires smell nicer as they rotate. That's a good flavor for the Spring. In the Fall, I'll switch to Pine scent.

24 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

I also like to use the flavored air sometimes, ( Raspberry is my current favorite) as it makes the tires smell nicer as they rotate. That's a good flavor for the Spring. In the Fall, I'll switch to Pine scent.

you're joking 'bout that.....but did you know that you can in fact get alcohol fuel for your drag racer that will indeed give off specific fruity smells in the exhaust?

2 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I don't believe you! Or Sniper22. I think you're both messing with me. You don't need to "change the air" in the tires. That's utterly ridiculous! I may not know a lot about tires, but I'm not a dumb bunny, ya know! :angry:

They are. Guys, come on, that's not nice

But you need to use nitrogen on those new tires instead of just plain air. Your tires will last longer and the car will be more fuel efficient.

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

you're joking 'bout that....

1 hour ago, WP22 said:

They are. Guys, come on, that's not nice

Wow, what a bunch of party poopers...

1 hour ago, WP22 said:

But you need to use nitrogen on those new tires instead of just plain air. Your tires will last longer and the car will be more fuel efficient.

Why not just use helium, it will make the tires lighter, which will make it even more fuel efficient. :)

BTW, nitrogen really won't do what you say for the average car tire. The benefit to nitrogen is that you don't get as extreme size changes when the tire gets hot during heat cycles, as nitrogen doesn't expand as much as air does, which keeps the tire size more stable. This is why we run nitrogen in our race tires.

6 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Why not just use helium, it will make the tires lighter, which will make it even more fuel efficient. :)

Can't use helium. Helium is lighter than air and will cause the car to go airborn.

6 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

BTW, nitrogen really won't do what you say for the average car tire. The benefit to nitrogen is that you don't get as extreme size changes when the tire gets hot during heat cycles, as nitrogen doesn't expand as much as air does, which keeps the tire size more stable. This is why we run nitrogen in our race tires.

Read the room, Doyle.

8 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

actually the only real advantage to nitrogen for the average driver is pressure changes with weather/barometer changes. other than that, nitrogen is really only advantageous for high performance and racing applications.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

running joke in our(mechanics) world. you need to change the winter air for the summer air. you need to change your blinker fluid too. and lubricate the muffler bearings

I prefer to use winter air year round, as it has less humidity in it.

Actually Fred2 is correct in that that is the reason why we use Nitrogen in tires for racing. There is no moisture in the pure Nitrogen, unlike regularly “air” (approx 1%). If you really want to do it right, you need to fill and purge a few times. Don’t forget our Atmosphere is 78% Nitrogen. I have found that when Road Racing, the tires inflate about 2lbs less when using Nitrogen vs. Air. So they go up 6 - 8lbs instead of 8 - 10lbs, when the temps go from say 80 degrees to around 200 degrees (or more). That does make a big difference.

50 minutes ago, AdamM said:

I have found that when Road Racing, the tires inflate about 2lbs less when using Nitrogen vs. Air. So they go up 6 - 8lbs instead of 8 - 10lbs, when the temps go from say 80 degrees to around 200 degrees (or more). That does make a big difference.

I was amazed at the difference in pressure build up. In one race car, we ran normal air (which already has 78% nitrogen), and the pressure build up with the temp increase was big. In the other car we run straight nitrogen, and it's amazing how stable the pressures remain, even with the high temp build up.

We always used nitrogen to pressure check AC systems for leaks. 1st its dry and if you put 100psi in at night the next morning (if there were no leaks) you still read 100. Temperature fluctuation doesn't affect it as much.

I recently added a TPI system on my Harley and was very surprised on how much the pressure went up in a tire after a ride. As much as 8-10psi on a hot day. That can make a big handling change counter steering into a tight turn.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdamM said:

Actually Fred2 is correct in that that is the reason why we use Nitrogen in tires for racing. There is no moisture in the pure Nitrogen, unlike regularly “air” (approx 1%). If you really want to do it right, you need to fill and purge a few times. Don’t forget our Atmosphere is 78% Nitrogen. I have found that when Road Racing, the tires inflate about 2lbs less when using Nitrogen vs. Air. So they go up 6 - 8lbs instead of 8 - 10lbs, when the temps go from say 80 degrees to around 200 degrees (or more). That does make a big difference.

years ago when we used to run a camaro drag car, we'd get almost 10psi increase in pressure of the slicks from staging lanes to coming back to the pits.

I used Tirerack before.  They always post the sales like any other local (get 1 free on a set, etc).  What I watch out for are the mounting fees.  They vary from one shop to another, sometimes in a big way.

Truth be told, Mavis and most chains will match the price at the drop of a hat, and you don't have to wait for shipping.