Sign in to follow this  
revenger

over the air TV , roxbury/randolph area

I used to live in Randolph. Reception depends on exactly where you are because of the hilly terrain. We were relatively high, and the antenna was on top of a 10' pole on top of the house peeking over the top of the hill on the east side. So we got a few channels. But now with the transition to digital (read mostly UHF) there's much less 'bend' in the signal.

Start here. Put in your exact address and this site will factor in the local topography. It's not 100% perfect, but it will give you a clue. And mainly tell you if you're beating a dead horse.

I'm currently in Sussex County. But at 950 feet and above surrounding terrain I get 60% of NYC and all of Philadelphia.

• Like 1

Thanks,  that link only shows 3 channels so its probably not worth setting up house with outside antenna.     Need to get a substitute for verizon, they are just too much for what you get,   i just need fox news, OAN, and the various history/military channels.       

Then good luck R. If your channel list is really that short you should probably investigate streaming content as an alternative. The added benefit would be you're not paying all the progressive channels anything to watch what you want. (If indeed your channel mix will permit that.)

I just had a flash back to when we brought cable into the Randolph house in the early 80's. After six months of really bad signal I finally brought a spectrum analyzer into the house. So when the tech showed up on about my 10th complaint, I just showed him the screen and pointed out how many db down their signals were below nominal. He called his boss. Ticket closed, and free cable until they replaced all the decrepit wiring on the street.

"There's no substitute for knowing what's on the wire."

Me, circa 1989, on networks.

Thanks 45,    any suggestions on streaming apps,    I have been experimenting with the firestick 

Probably had a high loss cable infrastructure that had to be upgraded for higher bandwidth,  Probably leaking all over the run with broken shields and poor connections as well as the homeowners with unterminated ports and those old crimp on RF connectors.

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

Ticket closed, and free cable until they replaced all the decrepit wiring on the street.

"There's no substitute for knowing what's on the wire."

Unfortunately, that's the problem with cable. It's like a garden hose, the more people who "tap in", the lower the pressure. Ever watch how your speeds slow down in the afternoon after the kids come home from school?

54 minutes ago, revenger said:

any suggestions on streaming apps,    I have been experimenting with the firestick 

You can also try a Roku stick or Sling TV.

Last choice could be a satellite dish.