maintenanceguy

I'm Done With Guns

A really strange thing happened to me last week.  I bought, what might be, my last gun.

I grew up with guns.  Got my first shotgun when I was old enough to hunt with my dad.  Bought "my" first rifle at 14 and my first handgun at 21.  Almost 30 years ago, used to bring all of my college friends down to the family farm on weekends to go shooting.  The point is, I've always been kind of a gun guy.

Then in 2008 there was lots of talk about taking away my guns.  I got super interested in firearms.  I started buying guns, taking new shooters shooting, even dabbled in a new start-up gun activist group - which never got off the ground, donated to the various gun organizations, and became a certified firearms instructor.  I went from "kind of a gun guy" to "the gun guy" and my gun safes and bumper stickers prove it.

For the last 10 years, I've had these shifting categories in my head of the various types of guns I needed to own. I slowly picked up new and used guns all over NJ and PA to fill in the blanks.  The last one on my bucket list was a Beretta 92 9mm.  I picked that gun up from the shop a week ago.   I walked the package back to my truck, sat down, and realized that I was done.  It was a very strange revelation.

I'm sure that someday I'll buy something again. I'll keep my range membership and have already tentative schedules to take a group from work to shoot clays and a woman in my church wants to go shooting when the weather cools down.  This week I'll be in VA and plan to stop at the NRA museum on my ride back to shoot at their range. So, I'm still kind of a gun guy but the intensity has definitely dropped down a couple of notches.

Honestly, it's a strange feeling. I'm looking for a new hobby.

15 minutes ago, maintenanceguy said:

A really strange thing happened to me last week.  I bought, what might be, my last gun.

I grew up with guns.  Got my first shotgun when I was old enough to hunt with my dad.  Bought "my" first rifle at 14 and my first handgun at 21.  Almost 30 years ago, used to bring all of my college friends down to the family farm on weekends to go shooting.  The point is, I've always been kind of a gun guy.

Then in 2008 there was lots of talk about taking away my guns.  I got super interested in firearms.  I started buying guns, taking new shooters shooting, even dabbled in a new start-up gun activist group - which never got off the ground, donated to the various gun organizations, and became a certified firearms instructor.  I went from "kind of a gun guy" to "the gun guy" and my gun safes and bumper stickers prove it.

For the last 10 years, I've had these shifting categories in my head of the various types of guns I needed to own. I slowly picked up new and used guns all over NJ and PA to fill in the blanks.  The last one on my bucket list was a Beretta 92 9mm.  I picked that gun up from the shop a week ago.   I walked the package back to my truck, sat down, and realized that I was done.  It was a very strange revelation.

I'm sure that someday I'll buy something again. I'll keep my range membership and have already tentative schedules to take a group from work to shoot clays and a woman in my church wants to go shooting when the weather cools down.  This week I'll be in VA and plan to stop at the NRA museum on my ride back to shoot at their range. So, I'm still kind of a gun guy but the intensity has definitely dropped down a couple of notches.

Honestly, it's a strange feeling. I'm looking for a new hobby.

Take a break.. you’re burned out. Everyone needs a vacation, and sometimes hobbies feel like jobs.

• Like 3

I'm done too - been that way for years. Nothing more I want or need. 

Maybe someday something will come along, or I will move from this hellhole state and buy something fun, but I was never into buying for the sake of buying. Everything I purchased had a specific use in mind.

Shoot a fucking match! That's really all that guns are good for in this shit state. 

Seriously if all I did was go shoot some paper or a couple cans every now and then I probably wouldn't even have guns. That's about as boring as watching TV.

Start with some steel challenge. 

• Like 1

[mention=6275]maintenanceguy[/mention] if you are done with guns, can I have yours?

First thought that went through my head too. Will you be selling any Milsurps Maintenanceguy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

He said he was done buying all the guns he wanted. He did not say he did not like guns or shooting anymore, just finished with his collection.  Assuming he wants to sell what he has is a huge leap!

I still have a few, well....more than a few guns on my must have list before I slow down.:)

• Like 1

He said he was done buying all the guns he wanted. He did not say he did not like guns or shooting anymore, just finished with his collection.  Assuming he wants to sell what he has is a huge leap!
I still have a few, well....more than a few guns on my must have list before I slow down.[emoji4]
It was the last sentence for me. That he is looking for a new hobby.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Actually, CAPT14k is correct.  Someone did try and publish a bound paper "yellowpage" of the internet 15 to 20 years ago; listing all of the available sites and links.  It was obsolete about 5 minutes after it left the printing press!

https://www.amazon.com/Riders-Official-Internet-Yellow-Pages/dp/1562054082/ref=pd_sbs_14_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1562054082&pd_rd_r=5a181fb8-9dd7-11e8-9060-7186929c4c53&pd_rd_w=O81Mf&pd_rd_wg=E2CpW&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=8702255303818932494&pf_rd_r=W4Q2A0KMESJ2H5RKBDF6&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=W4Q2A0KMESJ2H5RKBDF6

Edited by W2MC
Amazon link added

I get that way once I buy stuff for my collection. Just scratched off an arisaka and a revolver (model 10 38spl), so now I don't have any interest in getting thing for a while, even though I still need a carcano for my ww2 collection.

Collecting guns is sort of like getting laid. You get your eye on something, look for a good deal, save up for it, get the paperwork, finally get it, feel satisfied, then lose interest for a while...

...least that's how I am

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thankfully, I started "collecting inventory" in earnest rather late in life.  Thus, hopefully, the "need to buy" will be with me for the rest of my life.  I feel assured that there will always be a "Holy Grail" of firearms that I'll always strive for, even if I can't ever acquire it for whatever reason (cost, availability, etc.).