Zeke

Polynesian grilled meat loaf

13 hours ago, Zeke said:

Cough!

@Malice4you , @DirtyDigz, @Displaced Texan, @Scorpio64, @Stonecoldchavez..

meatloaf is awesome! Admit it!

Zeke, like I told you in person, I have never previously liked meatloaf, so the fact that I said yours was "ok" is damn high praise!

13 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

@AVB-AMG

You should have had my smoked brisket........

That would have made you into a die hard constitutionalist. 

Ask anyone. 

Tex, no joke, I think your brisket was the best I have ever eaten.  Out-fscking-standing!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

Damn........I just read the recipe for the first time! I thought the pineapple was in the meatloaf! I soo gotta make this and I will just use ketchup as my topping! I do promise to at least try the sauce though.:)

I thought the same thing but have confirmed with Chef @Zeke the pineapple is in the sauce not mixed in with the meat.

Having sampled Zeke''s meat loaf I can now give my full review.  I tried the sauce by itself and while very tasty I might put it on French Vanilla ice cream before putting it on meat.  Ground turkey instead of beef?  Hmm.  My first concern was most things that are healthier for you it wouldn't taste good.  However it was delicious and the binder used passed the firmness test for meat loaf.  That is firm enough to cut a piece  and hold on a fork without crumbling.  Too little binder and the meat loaf falls apart, too much and you can wind up with a brick. 

Another thing that gives Zeke some street cred is he's actually lived lived in Hawaii.

Now if I were to make this, without the sauce of course, I would use Maui onions to qualify as Polynesian meat loaf.

@Displaced Texan if you duplicate Zeke's creation you might want to use Pecos onions.  Would this make it Texas Meat Loaf?  There is another interesting connection here.

Turkeys are not native to Hawaii.  Wild turkeys were released in the Hawaiian Islands in the 60s.  These were Rio Grande Wild Turkeys from Texas so they were legal immigrants to Hawaii.  Now none of these turkeys are alive today but their ancestors, by the common law concept of jus poli, are Hawaiian.

I must mention another food that danced across my palate in the past 24 hours.  I have always liked fine examples of beef brisket.  This is usually satisfied with pastrami and corned beef.  Yesterday I had @Displaced Texan''s brisket.  The best Texas Brisket I've ever had!!!

@Mrs.Zeke haven't had the cake yet.  Will post review when I do.  I'm sure most are more interested in that than what range pants we all wear.

FWIW, contrary to what some think of my food rules and dietary habits I supplied a vegetable to the gathering.

• Like 5

On 10/13/2018 at 10:00 PM, Displaced Texan said:

@AVB-AMG

You should have had my smoked brisket........

That would have made you into a die hard constitutionalist. 

Ask anyone. 

@Displaced Texan:

I am sorry that I missed this clay shoot that was also catered by all of you excellent chefs...
I am especially disappointed that I was not able to sample the meatloaf and your brisket.
From what I have read here, they both were deemed excellent.
But I had probably best not sample any of your and others, culinary masterpieces, prior the the mid-term election since it might really do a number on my mindset....

AVB-AMG

On 8/12/2018 at 6:48 PM, Zeke said:

@Bighungry618 could use a bacon weave.

But @Mrs.Zeke doesn’t like bacon wrapped anything! “ it jus tastes like bacon “

If everything tasted like bacon the world would be a better place.  

• Like 1