YoungGun1967

First day breaking in my new Ruger GP100

Just now, YoungGun1967 said:

I’m pulling through the whole stroke. I want to get better with the heavier trigger.
Thank you for the clarification emoji6.png

Good, as the correct way to shoot a SA/DA revolver is to do it that way.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, YoungGun1967 said:

I’m pulling through the whole stroke. I want to get better with the heavier trigger.
Thank you for the clarification emoji6.png

DA = Double Action, trigger cocks the hammer and fires.

SA = Single Action, hammer is cocked manually and trigger pull fires.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 7:08 AM, gleninjersey said:

Trigger smoothes out with use.  Mine is like butter now.  Smooth & sweet! Enjoy.

You can speed up the process by dry firing the gun DA about 1000 times. BE SURE GUN IS UNLOADED.  Squirt a few drops of lube in the action by cocking the hammer and dropping the lube between the hammer and frame. You can use snap caps if you want but a GP100 really doesn't need them IMO.  Pull the trigger as fast as you can until you can't do it anymore.  The first time you might do 50 trigger pulls. On 10-14 days you'll be doing 100 at a time.  BE SURE GUN IS IN SAFE DIRECTION WHEN YOU'RE DOING THIS.

Dry firing it will not only smooth up the action bit also develop the muscles you need.

Don't swap out springs unless you are going to use this as a game gun only.  The Ruger will smooth up.

Now when you go to the range use 38s.  You're working on your DA pull and using magnums is a distraction.  Pull the trigger slowly, don't try to shoot fast.  As one experienced gunfighter told me "back steady, back steady, back steady, BOOM".  Keep your trigger pull slow and steady and until the gun gets broken in you'll feel those "bumps and grinds" as you pull the trigger back.  Use bullseye targets.  They're more honest about your progress.  Don't bother adjusting your sights until you're shooting about a 3" group at 7 yds.

SA shooting is for precise shot placement usually at longer ranges over 25 yards and in target shooting.  It has little application in combat shooting.  Not sure where your interest is.

• Like 4

You can speed up the process by dry firing the gun DA about 1000 times. BE SURE GUN IS UNLOADED.  Squirt a few drops of lube in the action by cocking the hammer and dropping the lube between the hammer and frame. You can use snap caps if you want but a GP100 really doesn't need them IMO.  Pull the trigger as fast as you can until you can't do it anymore.  The first time you might do 50 trigger pulls. On 10-14 days you'll be doing 100 at a time.  BE SURE GUN IS IN SAFE DIRECTION WHEN YOU'RE DOING THIS.
Dry firing it will not only smooth up the action bit also develop the muscles you need.
Don't swap out springs unless you are going to use this as a game gun only.  The Ruger will smooth up.
Now when you go to the range use 38s.  You're working on your DA pull and using magnums is a distraction.  Pull the trigger slowly, don't try to shoot fast.  As one experienced gunfighter told me "back steady, back steady, back steady, BOOM".  Keep your trigger pull slow and steady and until the gun gets broken in you'll feel those "bumps and grinds" as you pull the trigger back.  Use bullseye targets.  They're more honest about your progress.  Don't bother adjusting your sights until you're shooting about a 3" group at 7 yds.
SA shooting is for precise shot placement usually at longer ranges over 25 yards and in target shooting.  It has little application in combat shooting.  Not sure where your interest is.

Awesome! Thank you for the info! I did read in the manual that dry firing the GP 100 is fine. I did buy some dummy rounds but haven’t used them yet.
I am a very slow shot because I try to perfect my trigger pull. I did a Glock competition once with a 9mm. I didn’t expect to do well. I was happy to be there and experience the whole atmosphere. I was told my shots were very precise and accurate but I scored low for time. I didn’t sweat it. I figured my speed will come in time.
I just like to shoot targets. I’m not a hunter. I just love the beauty and power of the big revolver.
I have to pick up some 38s. Thank you again for your useful advice!

Don't worry about time when you're learning.  Worry about technique.

Good attitude you had in the Glock competition you participated.

I heard something a long time ago which to my experience holds true.

It takes 300-500 repetitions of something to learn it.  Trigger pulls, sight alignment, holster draws, whatever.  That means you know how to do but you have to think about it.

It takes 3000-5000 repetitions before you learn something well enough it's instinctive, before it becomes second nature.

This goes for anything not only shooting.  That's why in martial arts one warms up practicing kicks, punches, etc. You do this thousands of times.

Most disciplines require you to combine several skills.  Grip, sight alignment, and trigger control with shooting for example.

This is one of the reasons revolvers are not as popular as they once were.  Yes there are many advantages a semiautomatic has.  Many LE agencies found as a side benefit teaching recruits to shoot the semiautomatic was easier and took less training time.

Many new shooters avoid the DA revolver due to "the long heavy trigger".  They are looking for instant success and that's easier to achieve with a semiauto.  More so with striker fired guns that come with 5-6 lb triggers from the factory. 

Speed of shooting?  Semis can shoot more rounds but revolvers can shoot faster.  The shooter has to wait (not long) for the semiauto to cycle.  A revolver depends on how fast the shooter can pull the trigger.  Proof?  Every speed shooting record is done with a revolver.  I talked about springs before.  Some on this forum were surprised when they found out Miculek uses extra power springs in his revolvers as he wants reliable functioning.  They also give him a heavier trigger pull but that's why they make muscle to overcome that. I'll give you odds that although Miculek's triggers are heavy they are slick and very smooth.

When you learn to shoot a DA revolver well everything else is easy.

• Like 1

Don't worry about time when you're learning.  Worry about technique.
Good attitude you had in the Glock competition you participated.
I heard something a long time ago which to my experience holds true.
It takes 300-500 repetitions of something to learn it.  Trigger pulls, sight alignment, holster draws, whatever.  That means you know how to do but you have to think about it.
It takes 3000-5000 repetitions before you learn something well enough it's instinctive, before it becomes second nature.
This goes for anything not only shooting.  That's why in martial arts one warms up practicing kicks, punches, etc. You do this thousands of times.
Most disciplines require you to combine several skills.  Grip, sight alignment, and trigger control with shooting for example.
This is one of the reasons revolvers are not as popular as they once were.  Yes there are many advantages a semiautomatic has.  Many LE agencies found as a side benefit teaching recruits to shoot the semiautomatic was easier and took less training time.
Many new shooters avoid the DA revolver due to "the long heavy trigger".  They are looking for instant success and that's easier to achieve with a semiauto.  More so with striker fired guns that come with 5-6 lb triggers from the factory. 
Speed of shooting?  Semis can shoot more rounds but revolvers can shoot faster.  The shooter has to wait (not long) for the semiauto to cycle.  A revolver depends on how fast the shooter can pull the trigger.  Proof?  Every speed shooting record is done with a revolver.  I talked about springs before.  Some on this forum were surprised when they found out Miculek uses extra power springs in his revolvers as he wants reliable functioning.  They also give him a heavier trigger pull but that's why they make muscle to overcome that. I'll give you odds that although Miculek's triggers are heavy they are slick and very smooth.
When you learn to shoot a DA revolver well everything else is easy.

Thank you again! Great info!