Sign in to follow this  
SpecialK

Not there yet

I live in Colorado and enjoy the awesome gun rights of this state, hell I even carry legally a handgun to class at Colorado State University! I however will be moving to NJ once I graduate in 2 years. Why would I do this you ask? A girl of course, why men do anything really :lol: I spend time in NJ from time to time and will be spending the whole summer there this year. I am still thinking if I will bring guns with me or not, since it is a grey area on if I can or not. I look forward to learning from all of you and hopefully helping to improve gun rights in NJ seeing as I am going to be living there one day.

I have a client who moved to NJ from SC... it was a wakeup call for him. But as far as I know, you can bring your guns to NJ. Cant purchase anything more than a 15rd magazine for handguns. no assult riffles. and no ccw.

there is a bill in nj state congress a1282 that would allow people to carry. I suggest your gf come here, read on it, and write to her local senator/assembly member to support it.

gee why didn't I think of that! :p

If it was better for us over all she would be moving here, but it just makes more sense financially to move there. Besides wanting to be an advocate for gun rights and liking a good fight I see Jersey as a great challenge ;)

How's that for coincidence--you're trying to get into NJ from Colorado, and I'm trying to leave NJ to go to Colorado!

Some things to keep in mind if you decide to bring guns here--generally, any handgun you own should be legal here. You do NOT need to register them when you come here. However, I would recommend applying for a NJ Firearm ID card once you get here, just for good measure (this proves that you are eligible to own firearms in NJ).

Don't even bother with CCW. NJ bans all carry, open and concealed, without a permit. Carry permits are only granted to retired police, armed security, and those who can demonstrate to a superior court judge a "justifiable need." NJ does NOT recognize permits from other states.

I suggest that you leave any magazines over 15 rounds with someone outside NJ. They are illegal here, to purchase and to possess.

As far as rifles and shotguns, generally they are legal for you to bring here provided they are not on the NJ assault weapons ban list (this is different than the federal, now expired, assault weapons ban).

For additional information, check out www.anjrpc.org. These are the two prominent pro-gun organizations in NJ. Both of these sites will bring to light the reality you are about to face.

For specific legal information, contact www.evannappen.com (attorney specializing in firearms law). Do not make the mistake of asking NJ police for advice, because they have a tendency to make stuff up as they go along, in an effort to arrest people for honest mistakes.