Rob0115

Just when you think things are going well....

You get a call from your wife who has your beloved dog at the vet and they discuss putting her down.  It seems she may have a brain tumor, it was tough to get the info from her as she was hysterical, but I need to process this.  I’m not one to post these things looking for internet sympathy but I’ll be devastated if this goes the wrong way.  I can’t keep the tears back already at the thought of her being put down.  The last time I did this was three years ago with one of my boxers and I still cry every time that dog’s name comes up in conversation.    

5.5 year old bullmastiff who loves people like nothing I’ve ever seen.  Don’t get me wrong she’s full on Bullmastiff and if things get rough she starts shoving around, it’s instinctual and actually fun to watch.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rob0115 said:

You get a call from your wife who has your beloved dog at the vet and they discuss putting her down.  It seems she may have a brain tumor, it was tough to get the info from her as she was hysterical, but I need to process this.  I’m not one to post these things looking for internet sympathy but I’ll be devastated if this goes the wrong way.  I can’t keep the tears back already at the thought of her being put down.  The last time I did this was three years ago with one of my boxers and I still cry every time that dog’s name comes up in conversation.    

5.5 year old bullmastiff who loves people like nothing I’ve ever seen.  Don’t get me wrong she’s full on Bullmastiff and if things get rough she starts shoving around, it’s instinctual and actually fun to watch.  

5 yr old boxer here....she is a gem.......I cant imagine what u have going in now...

Also a 15yr old mix, a true gentleman his whole life....

And the cats etc....   we had two lost to cancer in 3 months... one was three....

Do what's best for your friend.....sending some good vibes

So sorry to hear that.  We get so attached to our dogs that it's incredibly painful when we lose them. 

If you don't mind a slightly lighter note, one time many years ago we had our cat and dog put down on the same day.  My wife was sitting in a diner with a friend, crying her eyes out.  A helpful, elderly gentleman approached her, and asked, "What's the matter, honey?"  She told him, "I lost my dog and cat today."  With the sincere intention of wanting to help her feel better, he said, "Don't worry, I'm sure you'll find them."

• Like 2

Really hope it works out, my last 6 dogs have been rescues. No matter how short we have them we get attached. My last was an American Bulldog, someone dropped him at the pound at 7, we had him for 1 1/2 years, Loved that guy! Still tear up because we had to put him down in Feb. Best friend.

I feel your pain!

Thanks for all the well wishes.  The dogs welfare is paramount.  If it’s time I’ll endure and do what’s right for her.  She of course deserves that consideration.  I just don’t want to not be there for my friend.  I’m looking for flights right now.  

However we can supoort you Rob just let us know.  I had to do this for one of my childhood Dobies....  It was heartbreaking having to head off to school that morning.

I'm sure you'll make the right decision that's in the best interest of the dog. 

Again, we're all here for ya.

• Like 1

May God give you the wisdom to do the right thing for your dog and also grant you the serenity that you did just that. May he also heal your heart if you indeed suffer a loss!

They are like members of the family. I have always had dogs since I was a young child. I have suffered the pain, heartbreak and tears far too many times in my life! I now choose never to go through that heartbreak again! Call it self preservation, I just don't want another dog right now. I know the love they give us but the pain of their loss is just more than I care to bear again anytime soon!

I still cry when I think about losing my Lola months ago. I can't even see a picture of her yet without it setting me off! She was only 5 years old......It's just too hard!