124gr9mm

Starting a budget bolt gun build

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Like everything else it takes time to learn.  Practice makes perfect. Watch your breathing.

What ammo were you using?

Thanks Griz. 

Ammo is Ammo Incorporated 168 gr BTHP loaded in Lake City brass.  Not great ammo by any means, but I don't think it's causing the wide groups (conditions were really good).

1 hour ago, medved11 said:

I saw in the picture that it looks like you're using a bipod on a table - try swapping the bipod out with a sandbag or shooting bag and see if that helps tighten the group up a little by helping you to control the "bounce" a little. I normally don't use a bipod unless I'm shooting prone. If I'm shooting from a bench I use a front and rear bag combo. Keep it up though, the more you practice (and focus on the fundamentals) the more you'll improve. 

Thanks medved11.  I already use a rear bag, so I'll try with a front bag instead of a bipod next time.

I'm definitely slowing down and trying to focus on basics. 

7 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Thanks Griz. 

Ammo is Ammo Incorporated 168 gr BTHP loaded in Lake City brass.  Not great ammo by any means, but I don't think it's causing the wide groups (conditions were really good).

.68" group is respectable. The hard part is repeating that performance. If you keep your groups about 1" then I'd say you pretty much have it down.

I'd be satisfied with consistent 3/4" groups.  Unless you're the kind of guy that wants to squeeze every bit of accuracy you can get.  Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

I actually forgot to post the step by step pics I took!!!  They're here - https://imgur.com/a/B7F2CCF

I put the album together for my son who went away to college and missed the fun.  The side by side pic is with a Ruger Mini-14, the girl is my daughter (very good shot for her age) and target from 50 yards when she tried it for the first time.

fmovrUNl.jpg

6cGzActl.jpg

h2whq8zl.jpg

PFr1zDRl.jpg

1vv5947l.jpg

vd28NcOl.jpg

D33Y4hpl.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

.68" group is respectable. The hard part is repeating that performance. If you keep your groups about 1" then I'd say you pretty much have it down.

I'd be satisfied with consistent 3/4" groups.  Unless you're the kind of guy that wants to squeeze every bit of accuracy you can get.  Nothing wrong with that.

Thanks GRIZ.  I'll be very happy if I can get to consistent 3/4" groups.  At that point I'll decide if I want to invest the time it takes (range trips, brass prep, reloading, travel to longer ranges in PA, etc, etc) to get even better.

CR will afford you the opportunity to get very good at shooting for group.  The 300 is a bit of a wind tunnel.  308 will get blown around a bit, especially the 168's.  Additionally a lot of folks I know do 90% of their testing at 100 and then prove it at as far as they can get to.  

• Like 1

Lat update...again.

I shot from a bag this time instead of the bipod, and I tried to really slow down and concentrate.  Had much better groups this time.  I was trying different ammo so this was the one that did best.  Still 168 grain HPBT, but it was in Winchester 308 brass, not Lake City NATO:

QqOxoux.jpg

All targets were under 1 MOA (barely for two) and one had all three shots in one hole.

Looking forward to getting to a point where all the targets look like the upper left.

• Like 1