hartsfw

New from South Orange!

Hello folks!

My name is Walt and I'm 26 years old and still officially a resident of the state of Florida but I have been living in NJ for 2 years now. I recently got the chance to start shooting again with a couple friends I met here and have been extremely impressed with the interest and vigor of the brave few who continue to be firearms owners and enthusiasts in the state. I left my personal collection, (only 2 rifles at the moment) at home when I moved because of my uncertainty regarding NJ's Gun Laws.

I am a new collector of historical firearms, particularly World War 1 and 2. My interests lie mostly in guns from these eras but I definitely want to add some modern weapons to my collection sometime in the near future.

I've been looking for people who I can bounce ideas off of, blow off steam with, and get legal advice from. I hope to be able to contribute to this community!

This is as passionate a forum as you're going to find within NJ.  Well done.  Good luck and welcome to this group!  Many of us (myself included) are casual observers who seldom comment or post.  I'm feeling chatty today, so you ended up getting my welcome first!

9 hours ago, kwadz said:

This is as passionate a forum as you're going to find within NJ.  Well done.  Good luck and welcome to this group!  Many of us (myself included) are casual observers who seldom comment or post.  I'm feeling chatty today, so you ended up getting my welcome first!

Thank you! I really appreciate it :)

Welcome! Since you already list Clinton WMA on your profile, do keep an eye on the "events" forum - on occasion, we have a Shotgun Shootout there. If you don't have a shotgun... there's always kind people willing to loan theirs. There's also an indoor event at RTSP on Route 10 coming up in October. You might want to sign up for that, too... any of these events present a nice way to put faces to screen names! 

[Oh, and if anyone asks you about the delicious spiced ham product developed in NJ... for the record, it's properly called Taylor Ham (not that other bastardized name). Remember this simple truth, and you'll do well here - with the people who matter anyway.] ;)

• Like 2

Welcome hartsfw. The product that the misguided moderator is referring to is PORKROLL. taylor ham hasn't been made for over one hundred years.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Welcome hartsfw. The product that the misguided moderator is referring to is PORKROLL. taylor ham hasn't been made for over one hundred years.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

EBB846A8-9246-470B-907D-0379F922C62B.jpeg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

No such thing. You have been duped.

You just haven't been on the planet long enough...

..." Pork Roll (regionally known as Taylor Ham)[1][2] is a pork-based processed meat originating and commonly available in New Jersey, New York, Delaware and parts of Pennsylvania and Maryland. It was developed in 1856 by John Taylor of Hamilton Square, New Jersey, and sold as "Taylor Ham".[3] Other producers entered the market, and subsequent food labeling regulations required Taylor to designate it as a "pork roll" alongside their competitors.

Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

You just haven't been on the planet long enough...

..." Pork Roll (regionally known as Taylor Ham)[1][2] is a pork-based processed meat originating and commonly available in New Jersey, New York, Delaware and parts of Pennsylvania and Maryland. It was developed in 1856 by John Taylor of Hamilton Square, New Jersey, and sold as "Taylor Ham".[3] Other producers entered the market, and subsequent food labeling regulations required Taylor to designate it as a "pork roll" alongside their competitors.

Taylor originally called his product "Taylor's Prepared Ham", but was forced to change the name after it failed to meet the new legal definition of "ham" established by the Pure Food and Drug Act of 1906.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pork_roll

:facepalm: 

That box is a photoshopped figment of some liberals imagination.

You guys and gals are ridiculous. I actually work at a Deli in South Orange so I am very familiar with the Taylor Ham vs. Pork Roll contoversy. 

Also @Mrs. Peel thanks for letting me know about the shooting contests and such! I'm looking forward to being more involved soon!

1 minute ago, hartsfw said:

You guys and gals are ridiculous. I actually work at a Deli in South Orange so I am very familiar with the Taylor Ham vs. Pork Roll contoversy. 

Also @Mrs. Peel thanks for letting me know about the shooting contests and such! I'm looking forward to being more involved soon!

Notice how the new guy shows his familiarity with the product, and yet slyly sidesteps revealing what name he calls it? Very cautious. Very diplomatic. He's a smart one! ;)

In all seriousness, @hartsfw - have fun, ask questions, LEARN THE LAWS so you stay out of trouble, and hope to meet you at an event at some point! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

.... ” It was originally called “Taylor Ham” and although the name was changed in 1906 many of us in North Jersey still call it simply, “Taylor Ham.”   Think of it as Kleenex is to tissues, Taylor Ham is to Pork Roll. "

22 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Notice how the new guy shows his familiarity with the product, and yet slyly sidesteps revealing what name he calls it? Very cautious. Very diplomatic. He's a smart one! ;) ...

I would like to know what a Deli Guy from South Orange calls it. 

:friends: or :hang:

The proper name according to the manufacturer, Taylor Provisions of Trenton NJ, is John Taylor’s “Original Taylor Pork Roll.”

If you are making the argument that it’s original name is appropriate, then it should be “Taylor’s Prepared Ham” not Taylor Ham. 

There is no such thing as Taylor Ham. It is a name created and endorsed by democrats.

“On April 14, 2016, Assemblyman Tim Eustace (D) introduced an Act in the New Jersey State Legislature designating the Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese sandwich as the New Jersey State Sandwich and supplementing chapter 9A of Title 52 of the Revised Statutes. "An Act designating the Taylor Ham, egg, and cheese sandwich as the New Jersey State Sandwich and supplementing chapter 9A of Title 52 of the Revised Statutes."

• Like 2

Welcome Walt - it's a salty bunch here, but as long as your skin isn't too thin you should find lots of help and good advice on navigating NJ's anti-gun environment.

Consider joining one or more of the advocacy groups that are fighting for what's left of the RKBA here in NJ, perhaps either the

ANJRPC - https://www.anjrpc.org/ (the "official" NRA-related org in NJ)

Or

CNJFO - https://www.cnjfo.com/

• Like 2