Pizza Bob

Oaks Gun Show....SCORE

Attended the Oaks Gun Show on 8/5 with a friend. He had some specific wants and I was just tagging along to see if anything "spoke" to me. We walked all the way through both rooms (this Oaks was advertised as being a 1000 table show). My friend's FitBit indicated we had walked almost 2.5 miles.

Clear back in the corner of the first room was a small dealer with two handgun display cases. A quick perusal revealed a short-barreled revolver with ill-fitting grips. It appeared to be an N-frame S&W and when I asked to see it that assumption was borne out. A Model 25-14 which is chambered for .45 ACP. These had a 3" barrel, and a four-screw, square-butt frame. And the price tag was a bargain. I believe that it was overlooked by the previous day's crowd of shoppers because someone had fitted it with K/L-frame Smith target grips - which, while they will go on an N-frame look really bad. I didn't buy it right then because I wanted to do a little research before I "pulled the trigger."

My research at home revealed that this was a Lew Horton Distributors special. In 2006 he had contracted for 500 total units - 250 in blue and 250 in nickel. The blue and nickel had unique serial number prefixes. These were made on what Smith calls their Classic frame - which just means the screw in the upper sideplate returns, making it a four-screw frame. Also it has striations on the front and back strap of the grip frame.

I e-mailed the seller and told him that he could keep the grips and offered him $60 less than the asking price. He countered with a $10 increase and I couldn't figuratively reach my wallet fast enough. Ordered two sets of grips while I was waiting for the gun. Picked it up last night and installed the grips right at the dealer. So without further delay, here is number 63 of 250...

29qccid.jpg

The grips are Altamont bonded-ivory magnas with a BK grip adapter.

The N-frames are taking over my safe.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 13

Congrats on the great find!  That rod has found a worthy home indeed!  Oaks requires a keen eye to look & know whatcher lookin' at.  The best finds tend to happen when yer not lookin', lol!  Enjoy!

1 hour ago, W2MC said:

Now you have me curious.........how does this measure-up to something like a 2.5 in barrel Model 19?  (Other than the Hillary-hole, which I despise)

There are plenty of older 19's out there with no hillary hole........

See:

Yfjxl1F.jpg

LOL

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

There are plenty of older 19's out there with no hillary hole........

See:

Yfjxl1F.jpg

LOL

OOOH, Bob's got yer hammer :)   Make sure to wear sunglasses outside with that beautiful thang!

7 hours ago, W2MC said:

Now you have me curious.........how does this measure-up to something like a 2.5 in barrel Model 19?  (Other than the Hillary-hole, which I despise)

This is an N-frame and as such is considerably larger and heavier than your Model 19. However, if I were to carry an N-frame in .45 ACP, I'd carry my Model 325 PD which gives you the punch of six shots of 230 grain goodness and weighs more than a quarter pound LESS than the 2.5" Model 19. I prefer to have my cake and eat it too.

25qsl8m.jpg

Why all the hate for the IL - if you dislike it that much, disable it - takes about 15 minutes. If you object on aesthetic grounds, there are plugs made to fill the hole. You are missing out on many fine revolvers if you let the presence of the IL dictate your buying preference.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

OOOH, Bob's got yer hammer :)   Make sure to wear sunglasses outside with that beautiful thang!

*AND* you have a VERY good eye there @Smokin .50 Rosenthal - yes the 19 I have I fitted with a target hammer.  Some hate them but I like the larger purchase they provide.  

Yes it does appear that @Pizza Bob has the target hammer AND trigger as well.......  fine tools for the jobs at hand.

I wish I started collecting old/new revolvers sooner :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

Why all the hate for the IL - if you dislike it that much, disable it - takes about 15 minutes. If you object on aesthetic grounds, there are plugs made to fill the hole. You are missing out on many fine revolvers you you let the presence of the IL dictate your buying preference.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I understand the lock.  I understand how it works.  Why dont I like it?  Every time I look at one, I think "SELLOUT".

• Like 1

Nice Score!

I'm thinking of doing the oaks show in October.

I did the spring show and did well there BUT living @LBI requires a hotel for 2 nights. NEVER again.

If I do it I will hump out early Saturday AM do the day and GTFO.

Make or break 1 day deal only...

13 hours ago, Bringit99 said:

Great find! I also appreciate the background info. How about a pic with the other set of grips?

Thank you. The alternate grip will be a while in coming yet. Kind of mimics the style of Pachmayr Compacs but in checkered wood. Seemed appropriate for a short-barreled revolver. Here's a stock pic...

16h6kj9.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 2