SuRrEaLNJ

Just found my own gun on armslist....

as the title says i just inadvertently found one of my pistols in an armslist add, no mistake about it. guy is claiming stock photos in the add. why the hell do people sell things they arent smart enough to take pictures of?

judging from google image search, the photo was lifted from NJGF

http://www.armslist.com/posts/8328712/huntsville-alabama-handguns-for-sale-trade--zastava-m70a

no copyright. not lookin to pursue the photo, more of 2 concerns

1, everything we put here is really easy to find. (not comply thread anyone?)

2, that is not the gun whoever buys that thing is gonna get. its not even a picture of a stock gun

I had someone on AR15.com using one of my old S&W 642-1 pictures, from back when I had the Hogue Monogrip on it. He was using it as an example, which I didn’t have an issue with, but wasn’t on my PhotoBucket anymore (was using back then).

I sent him a message, very politely, asking how he got that photo. I also asked him to stop hosting it, as it was mine and wasn’t asked for my permission to use it. No reply...

So, posted in the thread and gave a current picture of my gun (they all tend to have the same background... carpet in my office/gun room). Conversation continued as if I didn’t even post... even with the second half of my post saying why I didn’t like the grip and switched (turns a J-frame into almost an L/K-frame grip). Nothing.

Reported it to AR.15.com... and nothing was done.

Long/short of it... once you host something online, it isn’t yours anymore. People don’t give a damn about it.

If I post a picture that someone else hosted, I direct it from the original address. If the owner wants to remove it, it goes away. If someone wants to inquire about it, go to the source and contact them through whatever method available. Figure that is a little better than me “stealing” it...

28 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Long/short of it... once you host something online, it isn’t yours anymore. People don’t give a damn about it.

If I post a picture that someone else hosted, I direct it from the original address. If the owner wants to remove it, it goes away. If someone wants to inquire about it, go to the source and contact them through whatever method available. Figure that is a little better than me “stealing” it...

I have my own website and use it primarily as a host for pictures and files. It allows me to see statistics such as who is linking to what, as well as error logs for peple trying to access files which no longer exist.

Files which have not been on my server for 10 years are still linked to/[attempted] accessed, and people all over the world access files I only shared with a small localized audience.

It has reduced my sharing of my photography for sure, and I often will not share any high resolution photos of anything anymore. The other option is a large, annoying watermark covering much of the important areas of the photo so it is too hard to remove (instead of a corner watermark that can be cropped away or cloned out).

I never really thought about my (gun) photos being used to scam people, but I am sure it is possible.

I didn't even get to see the listing, it was flagged as a scam by the time I got to it, so at least they didnt get someone this time...

i sent armslist a message identifying myself as the owner of the gun in the picture, and that the gun being sold in the add didn't have some of the mods such as the sight that mine did, so i guess they had issue with it.

i just so happened to be looking for m70a mags, which i do from time to time

Yea, I used to put my screen name on the pictures... then said screw it.

Fraud is definitely something I worry about. Some of my guns are pretty unique, and don’t want to see someone screwed over from my pictures... or worse, be accused of fraud. But the end of the day, scumbags are going to do scummy things.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

This is why I black out serial numbers on the photos of my guns

I photoshop mine out - looks like the factory never put one on.

p226_1_sm.jpg

Should be right above the trigger guard. And I should put a watermark on it, but that one has been posted a while.