45Doll

Trap Shooters: Don't Let This Happen To You!

Someone ignored the first rule of handling firearms. Does anyone know what the hell that leather flap is for? (Yes, I don't shoot trap.)

Gives new meaning to the phrase 'blow your own foot off'.

This almost turned my stomach.

Shot Foot.jpg

Shoe Flap.jpg

• Like 1

I haven’t shot trap in the past few months, but I hated people putting the muzzle down on anything. Just something I cringe when I think about it.

Hold the damn gun up, or put the stock under your arm and the barrel over your forearm. It isn’t like you are standing there for hours on end. It’s 125 shots... at the most.

That picture is just the result of the better part of his gene pool ending up somewhere else.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Dude. Never Dick Cheney when you’re trying to Joe Biden. That’s how your Bill Clinton ends up as a Richard Nixon. 

I don't even know what that means but it sounds like something nobody should be doing.

9 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Nice 12 ga. tunnel there with light shining thru...

Yeah, there's definitely something that's particularly revolting about that light shining through the middle of his foot.  

Is it just me, or does that device invite the violation of one of the primary rules of firearms safety?  (Of course, one would have to violate another couple of rules or so to produce the depicted result.)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Screwball said:

Hold the damn gun up, or put the stock under your arm and the barrel over your forearm. It isn’t like you are standing there for hours on end. It’s 125 shots... at the most.

Agreed, and I just started shooting trap regularly at a private club.  They've got rubber pads on the ground as "barrel rests" but I keep mine off the ground and in my hands at a low ready when I'm waiting my turn.  Maybe it's easier for me because I'm not using a shotty with a 7 foot long barrel....

Agreed, and I just started shooting trap regularly at a private club.  They've got rubber pads on the ground as "barrel rests" but I keep mine off the ground and in my hands at a low ready when I'm waiting my turn.  Maybe it's easier for me because I'm not using a shotty with a 7 foot long barrel....

I took it a step further... round would be in the chamber after I ejected the fired shell (wouldn’t close the barrel until the guy before was up/called). I figured that trap would be more of a practice for hunting. Not going to sit with a empty gun while out in the field (range rules respected).

Salomon’s has chunks of tire on the ground. Personally, I rather lay the gun down than put it on those. But I also understand that there are trap shooters who don’t have the ability to hold the gun up for extended periods of time... but can still disapprove of it. As long as chunks of concrete don’t blow up into my face because of some moron letting one go, put the gun muzzle down.

Since I sold my trap gun, if I go, I’m using my 11-87. It is my field gun, so hell no am I putting the barrel down.

looks like jesus is gonna have a problem walking on water now.

seriously though, wonder if any other bits forward of the hole will be lost.  other than the tearing on the exit side it looks like a pretty clean hole.

Wonder if the shooter was using a release trigger or a standard one?  Trap Machine jams & someone has to go forward to fix the jam by crawlin' into the trap house.  Everybody told to put guns on foot & this guy (it was his turn to shoot so he pulled the trigger prior to calling for the bird) releases trigger & hole-in-one?

I almost blew my buddy's foot off when I was about 14 trap shooting in the backyard. Shotgun slipped on me while I was holding it down waiting for him to reload the thrower, my finger hit the trigger, shotgun went in the air, and there was a 6" hole in the ground right next to his foot. If I recall correctly he literally shit himself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 8/18/2018 at 11:08 PM, Smokin .50 said:

Wonder if the shooter was using a release trigger or a standard one?  Trap Machine jams & someone has to go forward to fix the jam by crawlin' into the trap house.  Everybody told to put guns on foot & this guy (it was his turn to shoot so he pulled the trigger prior to calling for the bird) releases trigger & hole-in-one?

Rosey, I have shot plenty of Trap and have seen on many occasions the line called cold, the shooter that was up had to unload and show clear. Where this guy was shooting either they don't know how to run a line, or he was not at an event.

Nice thing about an O/U, simple to show clear!  :) 

I would always rest the gun on my sneaker until it was my turn to load and call for the target. But my gun wasn't fully closed, O/U, and there certainly was NOTHING in it!