Old Glock guy

Shotgun transport with ammo

I keep an unloaded shotgun in the back of my Jeep because... well, because I can.  In a separate pouch, I have some buckshot and a few slugs.  I can get the gun out and load a few shells into it in around 30 seconds.  Would that ever be useful?  I don't know, but it's nice to know it's there.

My question is, if I keep some ammo in a shell holder mounted on the gun, do I run afoul of the law?  Certainly, I would be able to get the gun up and running a bit quicker that way, but I seem to recall a requirement that ammo be kept in a separate container from the unloaded gun.  

I should note that I did a search, but was unable to find anything about this specific situation.  

Really you're allowed to keep an unloaded shotgun in the back of your truck in the republic of New Jersey??

also both the gun and ammunition needed to be separate one in the trunk one in the back seat Etc they needed to be far enough away that you couldn't load it in 30 seconds or less

I thought only guns could be in the back of your truck on the way to the range and or hunting and back to your house and that's it.

Ignorance is bliss until you get caught

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

16 minutes ago, cewoz560 said:

Really you're allowed to keep an unloaded shotgun in the back of your truck in the republic of New Jersey??

also both the gun and ammunition needed to be separate one in the trunk one in the back seat Etc they needed to be far enough away that you couldn't load it in 30 seconds or less

I thought only guns could be in the back of your truck on the way to the range and or hunting and back to your house and that's it.

Ignorance is bliss until you get caught

Cewoz, welcome to the forums.  If you have not already, I recommend you introduce yourself in the new members thread.

You are inaccurate on several counts.

Fine to travel with a long gun anywhere AS LONG AS you have your NJ FID card with you.  Ammo and firearm need not be in separate areas of the vehicle.  I believe having the firearm and ammo in separate fastened containers meets the requirements of the law.

OP, IANAL, but I would not recommend storing the ammo on the gun itself.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PK90 said:

STOP.

Please don't use that S word.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

??? care to elaborate?

If you are referring to my misspelling "separate", I fixed it.

??? care to elaborate?
If you are referring to my misspelling "separate", I fixed it.
Nothing needs to be separate within the state. Just needs to be unloaded.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 8

Cewoz, welcome to the forums.  If you have not already, I recommend you introduce yourself in the new members thread.
You are inaccurate on several counts.
Fine to travel with a long gun anywhere AS LONG AS you have your NJ FID card with you.  Ammo and firearm need not be in separate areas of the vehicle.  I believe having the firearm and ammo in separate fastened containers meets the requirements of the law.
OP, IANAL, but I would not recommend storing the ammo on the gun itself.
Sorry about that I just buttef it in this conversation no one knows who I am. Life long new Jersey shore resident had my FId card at 18 really never did anything with it. Until a few years ago my son want to get into hunting.

I may have made a mistake in this with a handgun rule which I would have thought of would be the same. From my understanding A loaded magazine for my nine would be considered a felony if it was in my car even without the gun. and needs to be far enough away from the actual gun if you're transporting that to and from the range only unless you have a permit to carry which the New Jersey very limited people have that ability.

I know for sure the gun needs to be cased if it's being traveled may or may not need a trigger lock though.

FYI I am looking for an over under 20 gauge for my 10 year-old right now and possibly my 14 year olds anybody knows anybody got one laying around that's not going to cost me an arm and a leg.

By the way, who wouldn't want a shotgun in their trunk? I never got around to it when I was still in NJ, but I seriously considered keeping an 18-20" Mossberg 590A1 in my trunk. In fact, I might still do that at some point...just need to work out the best way to secure it.

• Like 2

Having done the exact same thing as OP, with the difference being this was in a sedan's trunk, I typically used a second pouch of a small bag to hold the ammo. I had no pockets on the super cheap gun bag i used, otherwise I would have used those.

I attached industrial strength velcro patches to the stock to hold velcro backed 5 shell holders for extra ammo and to carry the ammo so it wasnt just loose in the bag. During transport, the shotgun had zero ammo on or in it, it was all kept in the other bag.

I even had the doomsday scenario of getting into an accident and cop seeing the gun bag. I am posting from home, not a prison cell.

The thing I did not like about doing this was loading a shotgun would take longer than loading a preloaded mag, so I would prefer a rifle or PCC. I want a sub2k for this exact scenario.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Having done the exact same thing as OP, with the difference being this was in a sedan's trunk, I typically used a second pouch of a small bag to hold the ammo. I had no pockets on the super cheap gun bag i used, otherwise I would have used those.

I attached industrial strength velcro patches to the stock to hold velcro backed 5 shell holders for extra ammo and to carry the ammo so it wasnt just loose in the bag. During transport, the shotgun had zero ammo on or in it, it was all kept in the other bag.

I even had the doomsday scenario of getting into an accident and cop seeing the gun bag. I am posting from home, not a prison cell.

The thing I did not like about doing this was loading a shotgun would take longer than loading a preloaded mag, so I would prefer a rifle or PCC. I want a sub2k for this exact scenario.

The beauty of a pump action shotgun is that it's legal almost everywhere. I could keep an AR with a bunch of mags in my trunk no problem these days, but I'd still consider a shotgun just in case I have to make an unexpected drive into enemy territory. :p

Just now, Persona non grata said:

The beauty of a pump action shotgun is that it's legal almost everywhere. I could keep an AR with a bunch of mags in my trunk no problem these days, but I'd still consider a shotgun just in case I have to make an unexpected drive into enemy territory. :p

I was thinking bolt action rifle with detachable mag, also legal about anywhere. I feel for the likely needs of a trunk gun, it would be an acceptable answer. Though follow up shots are slower than an AR or other semi auto.

• Like 1

I believe the loaded mag in the trunk issue derives from a case several years ago on another state.  The guy was charged with loaded firearm as the prosecutor interpreted the law as "any part of the firearm is loaded".  The charge was eventually dropped.  This is the only case I ever heard of with someone being charged with this.

Since then everyone has this loaded magazine thing.  I know Nappen suggests unloaded magazines but I don't see how he justifies it.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Since then everyone has this loaded magazine thing.  I know Nappen suggests unloaded magazines but I don't see how he justifies it.

I'd like to know that as well. The only line of reasoning I can come up with is that the people enforcing the law don't know the law. :dontknow:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I'd like to know that as well. The only line of reasoning I can come up with is that the people enforcing the law don't know the law. :dontknow:

Can't remember the state this happened in.  IIRC the law said something like if the chamber or any part of the gun is loaded. The judge didn't think that a magazine detached from the gun is part of the gun.  The law can be just as confusing to cops as it is everyone else.

7 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Can't remember the state this happened in.  IIRC the law said something like if the chamber or any part of the gun is loaded. The judge didn't think that a magazine detached from the gun is part of the gun.  The law can be just as confusing to cops as it is everyone else.

It's not written to be clear. If you don't know how it's interpreted by the courts it could go either way. Some err on the side of caution. Police, attorneys, shooters. Unfortunately if it's the policemen could end up under arrest. It's sad that the legislature has no interest in clarifying the laws. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bhunted said:

All my mags get loaded prior to the range. Especially if I’m paying by the hour.
Neener neener! emoji6.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time my mags are unloaded is when I am shooting and empty them and on the way home from the range of I use up all of my ammo. As soon as I get home they get loaded again. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

It's not written to be clear. If you don't know how it's interpreted by the courts it could go either way. Some err on the side of caution. Police, attorneys, shooters. Unfortunately if it's the policemen could end up under arrest. It's sad that the legislature has no interest in clarifying the laws. 

I agree with the failure of the legislatures.  I equate legislators writing gun laws to me writing laws on brain surgery. I know nothing about brain surgery.  Same as legislators writing gun laws.

If you look at laws in gun friendly states the laws are simple and few.  Targeted to make criminals pay and decent gun owners alone.

18 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I believe the loaded mag in the trunk issue derives from a case several years ago on another state.  The guy was charged with loaded firearm as the prosecutor interpreted the law as "any part of the firearm is loaded".  The charge was eventually dropped.  This is the only case I ever heard of with someone being charged with this.

From my perspective, he’s simply being super conservative. It’s almost like he wants to keep people from needing his services. ;)

3 minutes ago, Persona non grata said:

From my perspective, he’s simply being super conservative. It’s almost like he wants to keep people from needing his services. ;)

Easy to suggest that the way to keep.out of trouble is don't do anything.

1 hour ago, myhatinthering said:

ammo in a separate container/pouch/etc from firearm and no loaded mags

I thought you could only keep a long gun in the car if going to and from an FFL, range, to have work done on it?

That’s handguns 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fishnut said:

The only time my mags are unloaded is when I am shooting and empty them and on the way home from the range of I use up all of my ammo. As soon as I get home they get loaded again. 

Exactly right..  me too.

The only thing a empty mag is good for is as a paperweight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

That’s handguns 

which part? I thought the rules for transporting Firearms were pretty clear and that they didn't distinguish between long guns and handguns. I thought you could only take firearms to and from your range or to an FFL or to get fixed or worked on. I do know you cannot drive with a loaded firearm in your car and it is ill-advised to have loaded magazines with the rifle they should be separate I keep mine unloaded to be safe

I could be I could be wrong however but that's how I read it or understand it

2 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

ammo in a separate container/pouch/etc from firearm and no loaded mags

I thought you could only keep a long gun in the car if going to and from an FFL, range, to have work done on it?

As @Zeke said it's hand guns for that rule, and even then "loaded mags" is a gray area as @GRIZ already explained.  FWIW you may also be compounding your understanding by confusing FOPA with what you can do in NJ once you've been granted a NJFPID card.  Notice I said "GRANTED", because nowhere in the statutes does it say that the card actually has to BE ON YER PERSON...

For long gun transport I could dump a dozen AR's of every chambering into the trunk of my sedan, then crack-open cases of ammo & dump the loose ammo onto the unloaded guns so it can scratch-up every rifle as it all bounces around together like a tossed salad with every bump in the road.  Once I close my trunk, the NJSP considers it all to be SECURED.  

Easiest way to understand NJ gun law IS TO STOP READING IT & instead concentrate your gray matter to only the EXCEPTIONS & EXEMPTIONS.  If you don't take my advice, you'll find out ALL FIREARMS IN NJ ARE ILLEGAL and to own, collect, transport or shoot them YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN PERIL.  Even Black Powder muzzleloaders are considered firearms in NJ.  But that doesn't stop a group like GArden State Black Powder Association from doing Living History Encampments (this one was Colliers Mills in 2011).  That SxS had over 300 ignitions that weekend, all blanks fired by the public.

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and outdoor

• Like 1

1 minute ago, myhatinthering said:

okay thanks for the clarification. So okay thanks for the clarification. So then with a long gun, I can leave that in my car even if I stopped to get something to eat

YES MOST CERTAINLY!

• Like 1