Old Glock guy

Shotgun transport with ammo

4 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

okay thanks for the clarification. So okay thanks for the clarification. So then with a long gun, I can leave that in my car even if I stopped to get something to eat

Voice recognition doubles up for some reason

If your a judge you can leave your multiple handguns in your car, where they get stolen overnight..

• Like 4

Yesterday I went to the Utah CCW course.  A guy from US Law Shield was also there to present some info and during the course we talked about transporting firearms while traveling through states like NJ and NY (like going from North Carolina to Maine).  

Be careful not to mix or confuse elements of FOPA (Title 18 sec 926A) which deals with INTER-state transport (traveling from state to state) of firearms and NJ laws that deal with traveling WITHIN NJ from one place in NJ where it's legal to possess a firearm to another place in NJ where it's legal to possess a firearm.   

I'll post this link to a document from NJ attorney General's Office which deals with traveling from place to place in NJ with a firearm.   https://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/transporting-firearms_guide.pdf  

I'm not a lawyer, just posting a resource that I recently picked up that looks to be valid toward this discussion.

2 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

I'll post this link to a document from NJ attorney General's Office which deals with traveling from place to place in NJ with a firearm.   https://www.state.nj.us/lps/dcj/agguide/transporting-firearms_guide.pdf  

That's interesting, and it doesn't appear to me that they separate long guns from handguns, but call everything firearms.

What's posted in that document doesn't make it sound like you can just travel around the state with a long gun and ammo in your trunk 24/7. It appears to say only to ranges, hunting or shooting related events.

I'd like the guys with more legal experience to chime in.

Actually, the second point in that document stipulates where you can transport. One item missing in it, if you own two houses in NJ, transporting between them isn't listed as an exception, so if you were stopped, you could be nailed for illegal transport.

5 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

That's interesting, and it doesn't appear to me that they separate long guns from handguns, but call everything firearms.

What's posted in that document doesn't make it sound like you can just travel around the state with a long gun and ammo in your trunk 24/7. It appears to say only to ranges, hunting or shooting related events.

Actually, the second point in that document stipulates where you can transport. One item missing in it, if you own two houses in NJ, transporting between them isn't listed as an exception, so if you were stopped, you could be nailed for illegal transport.

Personal property is fine. This has been covered here extensively . Joisey sucks, don’t make it worse by spreading your own laws or feelings or paranoia  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

It only covers 2C:39-6g which is deviation.  That specific law covers hand guns.  Jersey gun law is advanced Civics Class.  One has to understand that other rules cover transportation of long guns. The AG's doc in the hot link only covers "6g"!  Some firearms rules & laws are located in our HUNTING regs, where a 16 yr old can carry an unloaded scattergun over their shoulder BY THEMSELVES while en-route to a zoned legal hunting area.  Not old enough to buy the gun, but can use it to hunt with!  

Like I wrote before, DON'T THINK ABOUT READING THE LAWS cause you'll only confuse yerself.  Read only the EXCEPTIONS & EXEMPTIONS, and then ask yerself where is it written that yer allowed to BREATHE AIR?  Looking for "permission" to breathe air is as stupid as reading the laws themselves.  You'll find that laws are written to tell you WHAT YOU CAN'T DO & not WHAT YOU CAN....Exceptions & exemptions allowed Evan Nappen to carry an unloaded folding pistol caliber carbine in his briefcase while on stage at John Willet's NJSAFECON 2 years ago!  EVERYONE READING THIS SHOULD GO TO SAFECON! 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Please note in your attachment stopping to eat, get gas, use the bathroom and other things are permitted even with handguns if you are going or coming to the range.

Transport between between two houses you own is covered elsewhere in the law.  IIRC correctly it covers transport between homes, businesses, or other property owned or leased by you.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Please note in your attachment stopping to eat, get gas, use the bathroom and other things are permitted even with handguns if you are going or coming to the range.

It wasn't my attachment, I was just asking questions about it, which was posted by someone else.

Lighten up Francis.

2 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

It wasn't my attachment, I was just asking questions about it, which was posted by someone else.

Lighten up Francis.

My error regarding your attachment.

However, transporting between homes and riding around with long guns in the trunk are covered elsewhere in the law.

17 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I will also add, as I've done countless times before, I have never heard of anyone being arrested for an "unreasonable deviation" going or coming to the range.

A very good friend of mine did get jamed up before the law was changed.  Now before you go assuming anything he is a very responsible driver and all he did was stop at wawa on the way home from the range with handguns in the truck. He was dressed like most of the IDPA guys do so its pretty obvious where he was coming from. Cost him 30k and 2 years of bull shit. 

55 minutes ago, louu said:

A very good friend of mine did get jamed up before the law was changed.  Now before you go assuming anything he is a very responsible driver and all he did was stop at wawa on the way home from the range with handguns in the truck. He was dressed like most of the IDPA guys do so its pretty obvious where he was coming from. Cost him 30k and 2 years of bull shit. 

Details?

There was a letter sent out from the NJ AG at the time to county prosecutors saying they will not prosecute the "unreasonable deviation" clause of the statute if that was the only infraction. Now if you were to get caught with a gun with extra evil features or improper transport, etc. and also made an unreasonable stop along the way, they'd pile on for sure. But if all your ducks are in a row and the ONLY thing you did wrong was take the scenic route home, you should be OK. Now there's always a chance Barney Fife will hook you up anyway and ruin your day, but I think you'd prevail in the long run. 

I keep all my gear in locked cases and everything is legal, but no one is looking inside without a warrant. Period.

2 hours ago, SIGMan Freud said:

There was a letter sent out from the NJ AG at the time to county prosecutors saying they will not prosecute the "unreasonable deviation" clause of the statute if that was the only infraction. Now if you were to get caught with a gun with extra evil features or improper transport, etc. and also made an unreasonable stop along the way, they'd pile on for sure. But if all your ducks are in a row and the ONLY thing you did wrong was take the scenic route home, you should be OK. Now there's always a chance Barney Fife will hook you up anyway and ruin your day, but I think you'd prevail in the long run. 

I keep all my gear in locked cases and everything is legal, but no one is looking inside without a warrant. Period.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.state.nj.us/oag/dcj/agguide/transporting-firearms_guide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiupfHhiZ_dAhWCg-AKHa5mD9oQFjAAegQIABAB&usg=AOvVaw2waJkjPdzd-JHz-hycvjzd

If you have a NJ FPID reasonable deviation is only an issue if you have handguns or hollowpoints with you.  The AG letter didn't say no prosecution but defined some of the things that are reasonable deviation.  Most of those things people have been doing for years with no problems.

• Like 1

I see a lot of mention about items being secured in a trunk, but how do the transportation laws differ for pick-ups, SUVs, vans etc that do not have a lockable trunk? I have a pick-up and on my way to/from the range and home I keep my handguns in individually locked cases (and/or shotgun in a zipped case) in the back and keep my ammo in a range bag on the floor of the front seat. I don't keep any mags loaded.

19 minutes ago, NJ Diver said:

I see a lot of mention about items being secured in a trunk, but how do the transportation laws differ for pick-ups, SUVs, vans etc that do not have a lockable trunk? I have a pick-up and on my way to/from the range and home I keep my handguns in individually locked cases (and/or shotgun in a zipped case) in the back and keep my ammo in a range bag on the floor of the front seat. I don't keep any mags loaded.

NJSA 2C:39-6 (g) "All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

9 hours ago, maintenanceguy said:

NJSA 2C:39-6 (g) "All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.

Thanks for the reply. I was aware of this, but you don't know, what you don't know... so I figured I'd ask especially with some of the other items I read above. 

l play it safe, there is to many gray areas, a lot of gun owners get bad information as to how you can transport firearm and ammo, that could get you into trouble in a spot check, l carry long guns to NY, PA, & NJ. to shoot in competition,  All guns locked hard or soft Case, same goes for ammo locked and separate in places. Been doing this this way ever since l moved to NJ 20 years ago. Whole new world out there today, not the same as it was 20 or more years ago. You have to deal with local and Federal laws when you cross state line, to my knowledge this is fail proof. 

On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:02 AM, cewoz560 said:

Really you're allowed to keep an unloaded shotgun in the back of your truck in the republic of New Jersey??

also both the gun and ammunition needed to be separate one in the trunk one in the back seat Etc they needed to be far enough away that you couldn't load it in 30 seconds or less

I thought only guns could be in the back of your truck on the way to the range and or hunting and back to your house and that's it.

Ignorance is bliss until you get caught

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

with your fpid you can. I think you're wrong about the ammo being in separate area

On 9/23/2018 at 9:00 PM, maintenanceguy said:

Yep, so I can wrap my unloaded hand gun in brown craft paper (like we did back in '68) & tie it up w/ bakery string to make a securely tied package and then lay it on the front seat next to me while I transport it to the range, a repair facility, a sTore to sell it to, etc.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I can throw it buck naked (no padding or covering of ANY sort) into my car's trunk & close the deck lid and it's considered "secure" because PUNCTUATION COUNTS TOWARDS MEANING!

6 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Yep, so I can wrap my unloaded hand gun in brown craft paper (like we did back in '68) & tie it up w/ bakery string to make a securely tied package and then lay it on the front seat next to me while I transport it to the range, a repair facility, a sTore to sell it to, etc.

ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I can throw it buck naked (no padding or covering of ANY sort) into my car's trunk & close the deck lid and it's considered "secure" because PUNCTUATION COUNTS TOWARDS MEANING!

I've bought a couple of guns that did come home in butchers paper and string.  The guy at the gun shop wrapped it that way for me.   That was a long time ago though.

On 10/8/2018 at 11:59 PM, maintenanceguy said:

I've bought a couple of guns that did come home in butchers paper and string.  The guy at the gun shop wrapped it that way for me.   That was a long time ago though.

Sarco, to this day, will gladly put your long gun in a contractor garbage bag and fasten it with a tie-wrap. They call it the "NJ specialty".

• Like 2

On 10/7/2018 at 10:21 PM, lefty222 said:

l play it safe, there is to many gray areas, a lot of gun owners get bad information as to how you can transport firearm and ammo, that could get you into trouble in a spot check, l carry long guns to NY, PA, & NJ. to shoot in competition,  All guns locked hard or soft Case, same goes for ammo locked and separate in places. Been doing this this way ever since l moved to NJ 20 years ago. Whole new world out there today, not the same as it was 20 or more years ago. You have to deal with local and Federal laws when you cross state line, to my knowledge this is fail proof. 

Certainly, there's no harm in doing it that way if you're headed to the range or a competition.  My question (OP) was geared more toward having a shotgun available for defensive use, should the need arise.  So I was looking at what would be the minimal requirement for transport and storage. 

On 9/24/2018 at 7:58 AM, Ray Ray said:

I have read all the posts in this thread, and I have come to the conclusion that I know less now than I did when I first clicked on this thread. 

Sometimes it goes that way. 

46 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

My question (OP) was geared more toward having a shotgun available for defensive use, should the need arise.  So I was looking at what would be the minimal requirement for transport and storage. 

If you have a NJFID, according to Nappen you can "wave yer unloaded shotgun out yer lowered driver's window while driving" (NO, he doesn't recommend THAT even though there's an ancient video still on the net!) or store it unloaded in the back seat with ammo readily available.  Obviously you don't want to be drawn down upon by some nervous rookie for a cracked tail light, so...  Do you have his book, the Orange Bible?

Keep in mind interstate (FOPA) rules vs. intrastate (stayin' in Jersey the entire trip) transportation rules have a LOT to say on whatcha can do with a gun in the vehicle & where the ammo can be & whether or not it has to be locked-up...

Thanks Dave.  Yes, I'm aware of that.  I have a copy of the Orange Bible, and I try to pay attention. :)

My original question was can one have a few shells in a side saddle mounted on the gun for easier access?  I suspect that might be a bridge to far. 

3 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Thanks Dave.  Yes, I'm aware of that.  I have a copy of the Orange Bible, and I try to pay attention. :)

My original question was can one have a few shells in a side saddle mounted on the gun for easier access?  I suspect that might be a bridge to far. 

It can't hurt to ask, right?  So take a peek in News & Briefs & make a free call to ask and see what they say...

Good luck!