jrfly3006

Hornets Nest too close for comfort

So my 8yr old daughter says "Dad..is that a basketball stuck up in the tree?"..sure enough it's a Hornets nest nestled in the tree overhanging my driveway where the kids sometimes play..low enough to be a problem..hit it with 2 cans of Wasp/Hornet spray last night..a bunch fell dead but an alarming number attacked my car's headlights which were on...what else can I do other than spray at night and hope they all bite the dust?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I had a situation like this before and used spray, didn't really work.  I hired a pest control guy that used a powder and destroyed the nest.  What type are they? European or Bald Faced?  The European and not aggressive unless the nest is disturbed.  The Bald Faced are very aggressive.

They're bald faced hornets...after last nights spray im seeing a big pile of dead ones around ..hopefully I'm making headway but not sure I'm getting any effect deep inside the nest..and yes I'm all for leaving nature be...but these things are too close and go way medieval when disturbed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

36 minutes ago, Handyman said:

I'd keep blasting it with spray after dusk. Sooner or later they will either leave or be dead.

This.

The sprays will soak into the nest so eventually they'll all die.

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

Use it as a teaching moment. Tell your kids it’s a piñata. 

Ha Ha Ha... that's awesome!!

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

You can use spray but find the entrance hole and try to get the stream deeper into the nest. 

This is what works. I love going after hornet's nests.  The bigger the better!

The key is to get the spray up into the entry hole and really soak it, then any hornet that tries to go in and out gets terminated, and the residual spray soaked into the nest kills what's left in the nest.

• Like 1

Here's the real answer: Sevin.  It;s the brandname of a carbaryl insecticide.  It's available as a powder or as a liquid. Unlike wasp sprays that have quick knockdown, Sevin is residual - it stays around for a long time doing it's job.

It's available as a powder or as a liquid concentrate.  If you can find a way to dust the nest with Sevin powder, it will kill the wasps over the next few days. 

If you can squirt the liquid on the nest, it will also kill the wasps over the next few days.  A child's supersoaker type water gun is a good way to apply the liquid (mixed according to the directions on the bottle).  Make sure the pets are put away, neighbors ar ein bed, spray upwind, get a shower after, and throw out the supersoaker.

Do your work at night only and be ready to skedaddle. I've done this lots of times. It works 100%.

4 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

Haven't  flame throwers been legal now for a few years?  Do you really need a better excuse for why you need one?

Or, get the Elon Musk/Tesla version:

https://www.boringcompany.com/not-a-flamethrower/

5b1e80e91ae66253008b4bd6-960-720.jpg

• Like 1