JMich3

Wow, it happened already

So i showed a friend of mine a picture of my newly acquired AR and his response was “ Why do you need an arsenal?” I was actually surprised because this is a guy i have gone skeet shooting with in the past and i know he is not anti guns. Gues i didn’t think I’d get the response that everyone else gets so quickly.

37 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

I told him i don’t NEED anything, but each of my guns is fun to shoot in it’s own way

Actually, I think that's a great answer! I always remind people about the "evolution of design" - and how different guns developed for different purposes... and that's why there's different types. And shooting a shotgun, for instance, is much different than shooting a pistol. Then, if you factor in the "hobbyist" aspect and, for some, the "collector" aspect … well, it's not at all surprising to see an avid shooter with a "collection" of guns.

Then I say this: it's really no different than walking into the garage or laundry room of an avid skier and seeing a couple pair of downhill skis, a set of cross-country skis, perhaps a pair of slalom skis, a snowboard or two... and then walking into their sitting room and seeing several pair of antique skis displayed on the wall. Same exact thing! Hobbies tend to lead to collections. And you can extrapolate that to ANY hobby really - a photographer, a golfer, a car enthusiast, etc. Do you NEED more than one camera? Do you NEED more than one golf club? Do you NEED more than one car? Of course not, but if you're a hobbyist, you'll enjoy having several. If you explain that really nicely and casually, the light bulb usually goes off. 

And yeah, as others have said, get this guy to the range to try your AR-15! :D

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JMich3 said:

So i showed a friend of mine a picture of my newly acquired AR and his response was “ Why do you need an arsenal?”

21 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

His response is what he has been taught in this environment.

This is correct, that guy just hasn't been watching enough CNN.

He was suppose to call that AR15 a "Military Assault Weapon of War", just like the communists on CNN call it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JMich3 said:

So i showed a friend of mine a picture of my newly acquired AR and his response was “ Why do you need an arsenal?” 

Wow, a single AR constitutes an arsenal? 

Tell him you want to shoot in competitive matches at a local range.  I'd tell him about 3-gun, high power rifle and service rifle matches.  A lot of ranges are affiliated with the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) which was established by the Federal Government in 1903.  High power and service rifle matches follow their structure and require a high power rifle or service rifle to compete.  Most people don't realize the government established the CMP and that shooting is a sport that encompasses more activities than hunting with just just 3 rounds of ammo in your shotgun.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Regular Guy said:

Wow, a single AR constitutes an arsenal? 

It was probably the 3 mags he had and the 200 rounds of ammo that was with it. :)

Fudds think that's an arsenal, because no one needs more that 3 shells to kill a deer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

It was probably the 3 mags he had and the 200 rounds of ammo that was with it. :)

Fudds think that's an arsenal, because no one needs more that 3 shells to kill a deer.

Actually it was a thousand rounds , but who’s counting !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

I spoke to a guy who thought the same thing.  I found it easy to change his mind when I told him about the competitive matches, how many rounds are spent during a match and how many rounds are spent to practice for matches.  Then the dim bulb lit and he realized there is actually a reason why it's convenient to purchase ammo in cases of 500 and 1,000 rounds.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

Actually it was a thousand rounds , but who’s counting !

I was hoping you'd say that.

If you're not buying it by the case, you're a slacker, and definitely not ready for the next Zombie apocalypse !!!!!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

how many rounds are spent during a match and how many rounds are spent to practice for matches.  Then the dim bulb lit and he realized there is actually a reason why it's convenient to purchase ammo in cases of 500 and 1,000 rounds.

This is also true, my wife asks why I buy by the case. I told her, if you came to the range with me one day, you'd get your answer.

Plus, like like to watch the UPS guy get a hernia... :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

This is also true, my wife asks why I buy by the case. I told her, if you came to the range with me one day, you'd get your answer.

Plus, like like to watch the UPS guy get a hernia... :)

I love getting those boxes with the ORM-D stickers on it.  I actually have it on a T-shirt.Image result for ORM-D t shirt

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

ONLY 200 rds???????? That is 30 minutes at the range! Firing SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Regular Guy said:

I spoke to a guy who thought the same thing.  I found it easy to change his mind when I told him about the competitive matches, how many rounds are spent during a match and how many rounds are spent to practice for matches.  Then the dim bulb lit and he realized there is actually a reason why it's convenient to purchase ammo in cases of 500 and 1,000 rounds.

I personally use Costco as an example when talking about ammo purchases: people go to Costco and buy a mega-package of paper towels, for instance, because they KNOW they'll use up the paper towels over time and by buying in bulk they get a cheaper price per roll. Well, I (and many shooters) buy ammo in bulk (typically on the Internet) for the same exact reasons. No big whoop. Even my most ardent anti-gun friends seemed to wrap their brains around that one....especially when I show them that 5000 rounds of .22lr is about the size of a large shoebox... then it's less intimidating!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Even my most ardent anti-gun friends seemed to wrap their brains around that one....especially when I show them that 5000 rounds of .22lr is about the size of a large shoebox...

I can remember years ago going to Dick's and buying a few bricks of 525 (I think it was 3 boxes) on sale, and when I got to the register to pay, the kid working asked me "so where is the revolution?". And this was from a kid working at a sporting goods store.

There's lots of ignorance and false narratives floating around.

2 hours ago, 1563621 said:

ONLY 200 rds???????? That is 30 minutes at the range! Firing SLOWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I think the reality is, only us "gun nuts" think in "cases". My brother-in-law has had a handgun for decades, but hardly ever shoots it, and when the discussion came up about ammo, he said "I have a bunch"... So when I asked him to clarify "bunch", he said he had 3 boxes (150 rounds).

So maybe, we truly are the mutants in the state????

• Like 1

I think your friend is a FUDD and is not likely to change his mind about the AR even if you took him to the range to shoot it. I'm sure he believes everyone can own a firearm but not the scary looking ones. Buy an AK and see if his reaction is more over the top than when you showed him a pic of your AR.

Regards,

TokenEntry

27 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

So maybe, we truly are the mutants in the state????

In this state we may be more of minority than in other areas of the country... but I reject the term "mutants"! :mad:

Seriously though, I think the more that the anti-gun crowd tries to "demonize" law-abiding gun owners, the more imperative it is that our community pushes back - one person at a time - to show how normal and non-threatening it really is. A law abiding person who owns a gun is no more fearsome or dangerous than a law-abiding person who owns a set a kitchen knives... owns a pressure cooker and some fireworks... owns a baseball bat... or owns a motor vehicle. If you don't have murderous intent, NONE of these things pose a danger to anyone. We can't push that message hard enough IMO.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

In this state we may be more of minority than in other areas of the country... but I reject the term "mutants"! :mad:

Seriously though, I think the more that the anti-gun crowd tries to "demonize" law-abiding gun owners, the more imperative it is that our community pushes back - one person at a time - to show how normal and non-threatening it really is. A law abiding person who owns a gun is no more fearsome or dangerous than a law-abiding person who owns a set a kitchen knives... owns a pressure cooker and some fireworks... owns a baseball bat... or owns a motor vehicle. If you don't have murderous intent, NONE of these things pose a danger to anyone. We can't push that message hard enough IMO.

Well Stated!