JMich3

Greasing your AR???

I watched a cleaning/ lubing video on YouTube yesterday ( i was bored) and after cleaning the AR this guy used light grease on several parts instead of gun oil. I’m new to AR but I’ve never seen that before. Doesn’t grease hold onto dirt and grit? It sounds like a bad idea to me.

There are literally hundreds maybe even thousands of "gun lube experts" out there.

The only thing you need is a quart of Mobil 1 10w30 or 5w30 for ALL of your guns. Put it on everything that moves and everywhere 2 pieces of metal touch each other.

• Like 3

Also Thank you for actually talking about guns on here. This is the only gun thread on here in the last 24 hours plus. This place is so far off the rails it makes me sick. 

Any other questions about guns PLEASE ask and the few gun enthusiasts on here will be sure to help you out. 

• Like 2

Grease is typically used on parts that slide against each other, like a bolt, or your slide rails. Reason being it is retained over longer periods of use. Oil would be used for friction serfaces that require more precision, like firecontrol groups. 

Oil too, holds onto dirt and grime, the key with grease is that its a light coating, like oil...

You dont have to use grease, I dont. The typical range shooter would never seen the benefit if they oil regularly. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, louu said:

Also Thank you for actually talking about guns on here. This is the only gun thread on here in the last 24 hours plus. This place is so far off the rails it makes me sick. 

Any other questions about guns PLEASE ask and the few gun enthusiasts on here will be sure to help you out. 

OK, Grumblebunny! (and I say that affection). ;) I realize that everyone has different tolerances for different types of discussion... seriously, I get that! And we'll never make EVERYONE happy.

But fyi, in the last 24 hours (NOT COUNTING the 1A Lounge which NO ONE needs to look unless they opt-in with a password) --- there were 67 posts in the public-facing Forums. 38 of those posts (well over half) were in gun-related forums (events, ammo, sell/buy, gun laws, hunting, prec rifle, AR Discussion, etc.). 29 posts were in Gen Disc (including the humor thread). Now, you might not like those "proportions" - but this was hardly the ONLY post (or thread) about gun topics in the last 24 hours! 

Now, I'm no IT expert (I'm a Luddite really)... but if you're really feeling frustrated, please PM me... and I will try my best to help. You might not be doing things most efficiently for YOU, to see only what YOU want to see. For instance, it might be helpful if you 1) never log into 1A, 2) scan activities using the "condensed" list, for example, and only click on what you want, etc.

On the other hand - if you just felt like venting on a Friday afternoon - then my apologies for everything I just wrote - and do carry on! :D 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JMich3 said:

I watched a cleaning/ lubing video on YouTube yesterday ( i was bored) and after cleaning the AR this guy used light grease on several parts instead of gun oil. I’m new to AR but I’ve never seen that before. Doesn’t grease hold onto dirt and grit? It sounds like a bad idea to me.

i've recently started using wheel bearing grease on the contact points of the bcg in my main ar. so far flawless.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i've recently started using wheel bearing grease on the contact points of the bcg in my main ar. so far flawless.

That’s exactly what the guy in the video used, Walmart wheel bearing grease

I have used M16s, ARs, and M4s for 50 years.  I have never used grease on them.  50 years ago the military was issuing LSA (a thick oil) which was replaced by Break Free CLP. They both work well although as someone else said somebody will come up with some wonder lube.  The fact is if it works no harm done.

When I lube any gun I put a few drops of lube and slop it around with a small brush (flux or paint brush) so it's shiny not dripping.  I even put a thin coat on non-contact surfaces.  I found this makes the gun bit easier to clean as the crap falls on lube instead of just metal.  I put a wet coating of lube on contact points.  Extra drippy lube on the cam pin.  These will wear fast if not well lubed (especially with automatic fire).

My favorite lube for the AR platform is Dri Slide I started using it about the same time I started using the M16.  It's molydendum disulfide in a vehicle that evaporates leaving a black film over the part you've applied it to.  You just squirt it on the part and in a few seconds the liquid vehicle evaporates.  The best thing about it is nothing sticks to it.  It doesnt wash off with water.  If you drop the bolt in sand after squirting Dri Slide all over it a few shakes makes all the sand fall off.  It's about $90 a gallon now but that will last most people years.  During a year in Vietnam I used 2 cases of 12 4 oz cans and left a few cans when I went home. That included letting other guys use it at times, more than a few M60s, and my M16 got cleaned maybe a couple of times a day.  It also worked pretty good freeing up rusted nuts and bolts.

The only problem with it is if you use it to lube a carry gun you'll wind up with black stains (that don't wash out) on your clothes.  On something like an AR where all the moving parts are enclosed you don't have that problem.  It also is great for lubing motorcycle chains.

The only firearm I use grease on is Garands and similar actions like a M14.  That's because that's what they were designed to run on.  I use Mobil 1 grease.  I like the red color as it's easy to see on the part and when it gets dirty.  It also doesn't thicken up in the cold.  In this application you can get away using any kind of grease.  Wheel bearing grease,  silicon grease, bacon grease,  ear wax, they all will work. Some better than others.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JMich3 said:

That’s exactly what the guy in the video used, Walmart wheel bearing grease

i'd seen a video(probably the same one) and asked a couple local people i trust. they all agreed with that. it's not that messy, and the grease doesn't "creep" away when the gun's in the safe

I run grease and oil. If it slides, it gets a touch of grease. If it spins or rotates, it gets oil. Do I have to use grease? No but I have noticed it stays put longer where oil has a tendency to blow off. 

• Like 4

I always enjoy gun cleaning threads.  Can’t get enough of them, lol.

I highly recommend the Youtube channel gunblue490. His firearms videos are very informative and comprehensive.  An incredble wealth of knowledge.   A number of them deal with cleaning and lubrication.  

• Like 1

I run grease and oil. If it slides, it gets a touch of grease. If it spins or rotates, it gets oil. Do I have to use grease? No but I have noticed it stays put longer where oil has a tendency to blow off.

Agree with this...

Shooter’s Choice grease, Slip2000 EWL for oil. If just doing oil for finish protection, Hoppe’s.

41 minutes ago, MacDan said:

I use TW-25b grease on my 9mm AR, also will most likely use it on my 5.56 S&W. I use it on all my guns except the shotguns. 

TW25 came with a few of my guns.  I figure the guys that make a living designing firearms know what they are doing so that is what I use.

• Like 1

I agree with @louu that when it comes to gun lubrication if you ask 10 people for their opinions and preferences you will get 10 different answers.  I have asked numerous gun folks, (including former members of the military; gunsmiths and firearms manufacturer reps), about their preferences for this supposedly straight forward gun lubricating topic and have received multiple and contradictory opinions. I started to realize that many gun folks really do not know (or care) about the differences between greases and oils and use whatever is at hand at the moment.  I recognize that everyone has an opinion on this topic and sticks with whatever they have been using that works for them, which is fine.  Ultimately, either grease or oil will both reduce friction and wear on the moving parts of a firearm and both will fight corrosion.  Finally, any lubricant is better than no lubricant.  Now after doing my own research, along with some trial & error testing to satisfy my curiosity, this is what I do:

As mentioned earlier by @shooter28 and @JackDaWack, I also subscribe to the old axiom of “if it rotates use oil.  If it slides use grease” Grease is just a lubricant with a thickening agent to help keep it from migrating.  Viscous gun oil tends to displace more easily from their original and intended use location, which may potentially be a problem.  It makes sense to me that for high friction reciprocating surfaces such as a slide, that a grease that does the following three things, would be preferable to any oil:
1. Stays in place
2. Does not evaporate in high heat
3. Does not easily seep into other parts of the gun

Echoing both @MacDanand @PeteF, when I use grease I use:
Mil-Comm Products’ TW25B Synthetic Grease.

When I bought my Sig Sauer P226 MK-25 it came with a small tube of this specific gun grease, which Sig Sauer recommends highly, especially for the metal-to-metal sliding surfaces, such as racking the slide, etc. That grease is American-made and from conducted field tests, has proven to have exceptional lubricating performance in adverse weather conditions which has made it the preferred gun grease used by US and European Military. I like the fact that once applied, this grease does not migrate or seep around to other areas of the gun, specifically the exterior of the gun.  The plastic, re-closable tapered tip is useful for applying a small drop or bead to specific or hard to reach areas of a semi-automatic pistol slide. I use this grease for lubricating the rails of the slide & frame, whether it is metal-to-metal or metal-to-polymer, on all of my handguns, as well as on my AR and the receiver and barrel hinge pin of my O/U shotgun and the threads of the chokes, using a small disposable flux brush, as described by @GRIZ.

For what it is worth, I also use the M-Pro 7 military grade gun cleaning and lubrication product line, using their specific products for each task and for the parts where I choose to use oil as a lubricant.  The M-Pro 7 products are used by the U.S. military and perform above the minimum MILSPEC requirements.  

AVB-AMG

• Like 1