JMich3

Greasing your AR???

lol...yeah you got it alright.
once again, if you need a new lube to get your weapon to function, something else is wrong.  there is no difference between a 9mm AR and a 45 AR with respects to operation.  You look retarded here trying to debate and support a conclusion based on lube applicability.

Really?

Guess the higher temperatures/pressures from shorter gas systems don’t mean anything. Neither would increased pressure from a suppressor.

I also never said that I needed new lube to get it to function... I said I need new lube to try and keep it from burning off. If you actually read what I wrote, maybe you’d see where I mentioned that I added more lube, and it ran perfectly until it burnt off again. Won’t even get into this not being an issue on my other ARs (said prior, as well), so someone with a functioning brain can say there is a difference with the .45 AR gas system. Rudy saying it runs hotter due to gas port position and recommending CherryBalmz, reinforces that. But you disagree... and obviously know everything.

Well, if there is no difference between a gas D/I .45 AR and a blowback 9mm AR... I guess you’d be right. There is not a gas D/I 9mm AR... same guy that I know knows more about those pistol caliber gas systems tried it. The 9mm gas port being so close to the chamber for function lead to parts of the jacket ending up shooting down the gas tube and jamming up the bolt. However, that can’t be true... since you say so. Forgot, you must have been building uppers like these for over 7 years (Rudy has been doing them since 2011).

But considering the operation of both are completely different... I got nothing more to add. I don’t need to call you names regarding it. Arguing blowback and D/I are the same proves more than enough.

2 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

lol...yeah you got it alright.

once again, if you need a new lube to get your weapon to function, something else is wrong.  there is no difference between a 9mm AR and a 45 AR with respects to operation.  You look retarded here trying to debate and support a conclusion based on lube applicability.  

I’m staying out of the lube issue on this (I run just Slip EWL on everything and have had ZERO lube issues problems) - but Screwball has a valid point.

If he was talking about blowback PCCs, you are correct. A 9mm and a .45 blowback PCC are relatively equal.

However, Screwball is talking about a DI PCC, not a blowback PCC. There is a world of difference in the operation of a direct gas pistol caliber carbine chambered in .45 vs one chambered in 9mm - if you can get a DI 9mm to run at all. Hell, my .40 DI PCC built by Ron Williams is very problematic and I have not been able to get it to run reliably at all.

Sometiems getting a non standard AR to run reliably comes down to FM (Fuckin’ Magic). If changing lube works to get his gun running reliably, then that’s what he has to do.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I’m staying out of the lube issue on this (I run just Slip EWL on everything and have had ZERO lube issues problems) - but Screwball has a valid point.

If he was talking about blowback PCCs, you are correct. A 9mm and a .45 blowback PCC are relatively equal.

However, Screwball is talking about a DI PCC, not a blowback PCC. There is a world of difference in the operation of a direct gas pistol caliber carbine chambered in .45 vs one chambered in 9mm - if you can get a DI 9mm to run at all. Hell, my .40 DI PCC built by Ron Williams is very problematic and I have not been able to get it to run reliably at all.

Sometiems getting a non standard AR to run reliably comes down to FM (Fuckin’ Magic). If changing lube works to get his gun running reliably, then that’s what he has to do.

but you just validated what I said

it's not the lubricant, it's the setup of the weapon systems gas.  I really have no care what anyone uses but to think it's because of a lube is absurd

that said, I'd love to get my hands on it and 'tinker' to get it to run reliably.  Oh and I do agree that sometimes, FM rears it's head!!!!!!

Hell, my .40 DI PCC built by Ron Williams is very problematic and I have not been able to get it to run reliably at all.

Yea, I tried getting in touch with Ron back when I had Rudy doing mine. Didn’t get back to me until after me and Rudy spoke. Not a bad guy (he was busy, and completely understood), and from reading into the AR15.com thread on .45 ARs, I’d say both him and Rudy could write a book on adapting the D/I system on non-standard calibers.

The D/I system appealed to me more than blowback... mainly due to weight. Originally, I was going as light as possible to make a range gun that I could bring my then girlfriend with me to the range. She had a stroke in college, and did not have the strength/dexterity in her left side to hold up a blowback 9mm. Broke up with her before I finished the lower, but still liked the gun.

When I talked with Rudy way back when, he was telling me about .357 SIG uppers he was doing for someone, which was due to the customer being issued it. Siding with blowback, but not 100% on it.

I’m actually really excited for where that .45 AR will be going when I move. A .45 suppressor is definitely in the wheelhouse for my Glock 30S, and I want to do a light 9mm one for my P938. If I can find a suppressor that will work with both the Glock and AR... Rudy already told me he can thread the barrel however I need it. Makes me glad I did it with a target crown instead of a pinned muzzle brake.

I ended up getting a QC1 blowback bolt and barrel and just built a blowback upper. I had to mess with action springs and buffer weights, but now it runs like a sewing machine.
The RW .40 DI upper sits in the safe gathering dust until I can find time and motivation to work on it.

Yea, blowback is definitely easier when you are talking pistol calibers. Everything else I have in those calibers, not AR related... is blowback. Even if I got ambitious to do another AR in a pistol caliber, I’d probably go with CMMG’s delayed blowback system.

I also hear you about the motivation. I was the same way with the .45 AR. I knew about the not locking back issues years back... never got around to it.

But since I’m not buying 10 rounders with this upcoming magazine s***show, this is one of the few guns I’ll have 10 rounders ready to go. Kind of lit the fire under my ass to do it.

Started knocking a few other things off the gunsmithing list just prior to it. Got Tom at HGW to get the stuck extractor pin out of my Yugo Tokarev, and then fit the original sear back to my SP-01 (had the CGW adjustable in, but would allow the safety to go on with the hammer down). Only other thing really on the list (that can be done in NJ [emoji41]) is redo my SR1911 with all stainless parts... but not really in the mood to start that.