JMich3

Watch out for those flu shots!

Some of this is funny.

But seriously, two years ago I was presented with the choice of a 'regular' or 'extra strength' flue shot. Not knowing any better, I chose extra strength.

30 days later in the dentist chair the dentist advised me I had oral lichen planus. And guess what triggered it?

After what I have subsequently read about vaccines in general, that's the last one of these I'll be getting.

Fortunately my case, so far, is annoying but not destructive.

every time I'd get the flu shot, I'd get sick.  And it would be worse than getting the flu, in that it would just linger for MONTHS at a time, whereas the very few times I've gotten the flu, it runs me over like a freight train for a couple of days and then buggers off.

so no, I won't ever be getting the flu shot again.  it might be effective for some people, but it fucks me up.

17 hours ago, mossburger said:

There's really no need to get a flu shot unless you are elderly, have a compromised immune system, or other such condition.

That's not necessarily the case. Perhaps counterintuitively, the great flu that occurred at the end of WWI (that some estimates say killed 100 million worldwide) preferentially killed the young and healthy, sparing the very young and the very old.

The mechanism for the flu doing this was causing intense inflammation. The flu caused a person's immune system to go haywire and attack the body. Young healthy people - who had a more robust immune system - actually wound up in worse shape. There were reports of people walking onto the train under their own power to go home after work and being dead before they got to their stop. If you were an old geezer with a crappy immune system, you generally did ok.

We are a very spoiled society. All of our former childhood illnesses - even chickenpox - are vanishingly rare and we have not had a serious pandemic in next to forever. There was a time when every family in America had someone or knew someone who died young from an infectious disease. 

• Like 2