Zeke

For those of you without corrected vision

You'll be surprised on how far the equipment has come. You just look in a machine and bingo it's figures out exactly what your new prescription will be. If you wear contact lenses, they are so thin and easy to use. Good luck! You really should be going every two years or so. Bad things can happen to your eyes which can be handled if you catch it early enough.

One thing they will most likely do is take a picture of the nerves and blood vessels inside your eyes.  They put drops in your eyes that will numb them and relax the muscles so your pupils open up all the way so they can do the pictures.  It does not hurt but the problem is it could take a while (few hours) to wear off and you will be extremely sensitive to indoor light and sunlight for that time.  They don't always tell you ahead of time they plan to do this so if you go there alone they will give you a pair of black plastic glasses like the ones below to wear while outside if you have nobody to drive you.  It can still be an inconvenience if you are going to work after your appointment or going to do other things that require your brain to be able to control your pupils.  

5b818ca01a52a_bestglasses.jpg.ff8fc0d66a43ab4d96c3512cb644a65b.jpg

To answer your original question, I go every 2 years because my prescription has not changed in years and I don't have any other eye health issues that require me to be seen more often. 

• Like 2

Some of them still use the ancient contraption to flip between lenses.  Those things drive me nuts.  Which is clearer, A or B?   "I don't know!!"

I have seen the new imaging stuff at another place.   Really neat.  Maybe this Lenscrafters was just behind the times.  A real Optho should have all the gadgets.

• Like 1

Every year....  Type II Diabetic, gotta keep watch on eyes and feet....

Similar, but Type I...

Other reason is to get refills on contacts. My eyes have pretty much stayed the same for like four years... but the diabetes thing makes it more important.

I know most VisionWorks have them, but if they offer the photo of your eyes over dilation, definitely recommend it. A lot better image, and can really tell if there are any issues. Dilation is the doctor looking in, and “drawing” the back of the eye on paper. This at least gives you comparison pictures.

17 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I've been once when I was a teenager and am not planning on going any time soon. As long as I can read the bottom line on the chart at the Dr office I think I'm good to go. 

Ya, well I was same. But I think it’s time 

• Like 1

I go every couple of years, haven't had any changes. Just need to use the cheater readers from Walmart to read this wonderful forum (any anything else close up).

Make sure you bring a really dark pair of sunglasses, because after they dilate your pupils for the exam, it will feel like your looking into a spotlight when you get outside.

3 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

I go every couple of years, haven't had any changes. Just need to use the cheater readers from Walmart to read this wonderful forum (any anything else close up).

Make sure you bring a really dark pair of sunglasses, because after they dilate your pupils for the exam, it will feel like your looking into a spotlight when you get outside.

Hit "CTRL +". A few times, you will be amazed!

7 hours ago, AlDente67 said:

Some of them still use the ancient contraption to flip between lenses.  Those things drive me nuts.  Which is clearer, A or B?   "I don't know!!"

I have seen the new imaging stuff at another place.   Really neat.  Maybe this Lenscrafters was just behind the times.  A real Optho should have all the gadgets.

Yeah....Choosing between a and b....

I probably skewed my test several years ago by choosing one when there was no noticable difference.  But that was 7 or 8 years ago, and I rarely wear/need glasses.....as long as a bright light is on!

On 8/25/2018 at 9:53 PM, Sniper22 said:

Will that work when working in my shop too?

Should work in firefox and chrome. Not sure about IE or salfari, but likely will. If not, look for zoom in the menus for the correct keyboard shortcut.

And if you go too far, CTRL - or CTRL 0 should make things smaller and bring you back to original size.

11 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Should work in firefox and chrome. Not sure about IE or salfari, but likely will. If not, look for zoom in the menus for the correct keyboard shortcut.

Ha Ha.. that's not what I meant.

When I can't see what I'm doing when working at my workbench, can I just hit "CTRL,+" on the countertop to be able to see the tools and parts better? :)

That's another area I need the cheaters.

3 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Ha Ha.. that's not what I meant.

When I can't see what I'm doing when working at my workbench, can I just hit "CTRL,+" on the countertop to be able to see the tools and parts better? :)

That's another area I need the cheaters.

Long day yesterday. Would need google glasses to do that, probably. Or just yell out "Control Plus!" and have an intern come running with a magnifying glass.

6 hours ago, Malice4you said:

Or just yell out "Control Plus!" and have an intern come running with a magnifying glass.

Ahhh, I like that idea.

Will she also bring me a beer and be wearing a bikini?

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

20/20!

Nice!   I'm 20/20 for everything beyond my fingertips... ha...

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Im almost ready for reading glasses.. but I cannot read, so no biggy 

Hmmmm, age catching up with you? Losing the close up vision is the worst part as the calendar fast-forwards.

Remember, they do make seeing eye dogs... :)

• Like 1