Regular Guy

Question about WMA parking

I noticed that WMAs have a "P" on the map designating parking areas.  Some WMAs are bordered on several sides by public roads and there are multiple dirt roads and/or trails that go into the WMA off of these other public roads.  Is it OK to park at other dirt roads or trails to be able to walk into different parts of the WMA or can you only park where the P is on the map?  I've never hunted in NJ (I've hunted in other states) and it seems like a stupid question but NJ has some stupid rules so you can't put anything in that category of "too stupid to be a law in NJ." 

"P" is for designated parking areas/lots. Use your best judgement with respect to where you can drive/park. For example, most access roads are blocked or chained and you shouldn't block access to these. With so many WMA's and state parks,  some have access roads you  can travel on and park off of while others are specific as to where you can and cannot go. 

You'll get the feel of them once you start hunting the area.

• Like 1