Bully

Bolt Gun #2 is Gonna Happen!

I got word from Rock Creek that my barrel is ready to ship.  To say that I'm thrilled would be an understatement of epic proportions.  

Up on deck:
Remington 700 receiver 
     I will true the receiver/bolt the best I know how 
Glue in single shot follower
PT&G bolt handle

Rock Creek barrel
     .223 1:7 M24 coutour that if I don't screw it up will end up at 28"
223 Match reamer and target crown
I want to continue to run the 80gn Sierra Match Kings and possibly bump up into the 90gn Sierra's if I can find some to test

The plan is this:
I'm currently shooting FT/R with the bolt gun that my buddy built and I watched and learned about building bolt guns on.  Since my medium length plan is to get my FFL and build rifles, AND I want to compete into the foreseeable future, I want to compete on a rifle that I built.  Not that I watched get built.  So, I'm going to build this rifle and take the parts off my current rifle to shoot in next season's matches.  That includes the stock and such, at least for now.  If I can find the right stock, I will sell what I have and replace my current stock.  I want something that does not have a butt hook, but I digress.  Essentially I'm going to build my competition rifle.  From scratch.  All on me.

So, wish me luck.  I still need to build a new fixture to take the place of the one I crashed a month or so ago.  My buddy is kind enough to allow me to use his mill, so that helps.  Once that happens, I'll be all in.  

If anyone is in the market for a fully adjustable McMillan A3/5 with a custom Krylon paint job, drop me a line.  

Or, if you know anyone in the market for a barreled action...  :ninja:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Malice4you said:

Excited to see the progress on this. And perhaps someday buy a precision gun built up by ya, since the chances of me doing the whole ffl 07 and build my own are quite low...

That would be amazing.  

It's gonna be a bit before I'm ready to do work for anyone else.  It's scary enough doing it for myself.  

I'm currently searching for a stock and/or chassis.  Not sure which way I want to go on this one.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  

3 minutes ago, Bully said:

That would be amazing.  

It's gonna be a bit before I'm ready to do work for anyone else.  It's scary enough doing it for myself.  

I'm currently searching for a stock and/or chassis.  Not sure which way I want to go on this one.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  

10 minutes ago, Bully said:

That would be amazing.  

My vote for the stock (the only aesthetic downside is that it's inlet for the Defiance action):

https://www.coreshooting.com/collections/manners-composite-stocks/products/manners-composite-stocks-t4a-for-remington-700-short-action?variant=44403889091

44 minutes ago, medved11 said:

Has a butt hook which I'm trying to avoid.  

45 minutes ago, medved11 said:

Ahhh...I missed that detail. Maybe a Manners T2 then? I’ve got that on my .308 shorty and I’ve got no complaints (other than I don’t get a chance to shoot it as often as I’d like)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need to meet up and spend some ammo...

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, Bully said:

I got word from Rock Creek that my barrel is ready to ship.  To say that I'm thrilled would be an understatement of epic proportions.  

Up on deck:
Remington 700 receiver 
     I will true the receiver/bolt the best I know how 
Glue in single shot follower
PT&G bolt handle

Rock Creek barrel
     .223 1:7 M24 coutour that if I don't screw it up will end up at 28"
223 Match reamer and target crown
I want to continue to run the 80gn Sierra Match Kings and possibly bump up into the 90gn Sierra's if I can find some to test

The plan is this:
I'm currently shooting FT/R with the bolt gun that my buddy built and I watched and learned about building bolt guns on.  Since my medium length plan is to get my FFL and build rifles, AND I want to compete into the foreseeable future, I want to compete on a rifle that I built.  Not that I watched get built.  So, I'm going to build this rifle and take the parts off my current rifle to shoot in next season's matches.  That includes the stock and such, at least for now.  If I can find the right stock, I will sell what I have and replace my current stock.  I want something that does not have a butt hook, but I digress.  Essentially I'm going to build my competition rifle.  From scratch.  All on me.

So, wish me luck.  I still need to build a new fixture to take the place of the one I crashed a month or so ago.  My buddy is kind enough to allow me to use his mill, so that helps.  Once that happens, I'll be all in.  

If anyone is in the market for a fully adjustable McMillan A3/5 with a custom Krylon paint job, drop me a line.  

Or, if you know anyone in the market for a barreled action...  :ninja:

Bully

Great shooting with you  yesterday  down at the Cumberland Riflemen Club. How did you do ?

20180902_095733.jpg

20180902_095707.jpg

20180902_084506.jpg

2 hours ago, Iggyort said:

Bully

Great shooting with you  yesterday  down at the Cumberland Riflemen Club. How did you do ?

20180902_095733.jpg

20180902_095707.jpg

Same.  Was great meeting you.  
I did pretty well all things considered.  Shot a 581/13x I believe.  Had a ball, as always.  
Thanks a ton for letting me fuss with your stock.  I'll be calling McMillan tomorrow to get the ball rolling.  

How did you do?

3 hours ago, Bully said:

Same.  Was great meeting you.  
I did pretty well all things considered.  Shot a 581/13x I believe.  Had a ball, as always.  
Thanks a ton for letting me fuss with your stock.  I'll be calling McMillan tomorrow to get the ball rolling.  

How did you do?

Good  for you !!!

Ha, you beat me !!! :)

I shot 573 -10X

All 3 relays I shot 191.  :(

Here are the next  three "local" 600 yard Matches.

Bridgeville , Del   - Sept 9    Distance from me- 3 Hours

New Holland , Pa - Sept 16  Distance from me- 2 Hours

Cumberland , NJ -  Oct  7    Distance from me- 2 Hours

I received your PM. Let's stay in touch . We can go practice at CJ. They have a 300 Yard Range and I am a member there too. You are more than welcomed to get behind the rifle and play with stock some more next time.

Iggyort

P.S -  The Bridgeville Club is having a 1,000 Yard Match on Oct 27-28. Let me know if you want to go.

IMG_20180622_190004_885.jpg

20180627_052428.jpg

Edited by Iggyort
Add pictures
  • Like 1

Just an update:

Holidays are tough for me.  It's my busy time and making money trumps having fun (not really, I love my job) but I have not been in my shop very much.  It's slowing back to normal and I am will finally be getting back on the machine.  I got in my new fixture and am waiting on my collet so I can do work on my action.  As soon as that happens, I'll get it chambered and shooting.  

I picked up an XiT stock on the second hand market.  The fit of the action won't be 100% but my buddy that's a riflesmith in Michigan said it will work just fine.  He is cutting the bedding out for me and I should have the stock in hand by end of next week, I hope.  It should be a fun little project and I'm looking forward to closing it out and getting bullets down range.  

Remington 700 - trued by me
Bartlein 5R 1:7 for 90 grain .223
Calvin Elite 2 stage trigger
Nightforce NSX 8-32x56
Sinclair F-Class bipod

Pics will follow as I get this rolling. 

Little update:

I’m going to run my current barreled action. Unfortunately this means I won’t have a loaner rifle for folks to borrow unless I can get my action tried/barreled in time. It’s not looking good. Work/family/cold weather are all slowing me down. Plus my machine was down, again. I just got it back on line a week ago.  

Stock came in. I love it. I also realize it’s as far from “tacti-cool” as one can get. That makes me love it all the more.   I got the pillars cut and the Devcon is curing as I type this. I will not bed it as I’ll be putting a different action in at some point. 

Thanks for following along. 

E06E7838-972B-4672-A4E2-2C960332BF75.jpeg

4879BD23-1EDA-4753-AF9D-C966F84EE2CF.jpeg

345FBD6B-AA07-46C1-A6C2-E36A6A68DD3F.jpeg

01E2F478-DD59-42F6-981B-53108BAE4CF9.jpeg

91B4C639-3326-4D30-8461-395C5B395731.jpeg

5596E9D7-F5A2-42CC-B33B-2A70797DFE02.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Well, that is certainly going to be one rather unique rifle.  And I can imagine it will attract some attention, even before it puts 3 shots in the same hole.

I do really like the pattern, though my color choices would be a bit different - I'd say more purple/blue/black or other combo of cooler colors...or maybe more of a red/purple. Think of the laminate wood stock blues, purples, greys...  Of course, it isn't me you're making happy (well, watching these get built up DOES make me happy), so long as you like it, that's all that matters.  I have stocks on two .22s that attract a fair amount of attention and certainly aren't for everyone, but I like em.

Looking forward as always to see this progress.

Thank you.

The stock colors are not what I had envisioned.  I have grown to love the stock but it's not quite what I wanted.  Screens are all calibrated differently.  Additionally the colors are hand laid into the mold prior to the mold being closed.  It's not paint.  The colors are under the gel coat.  And, McMillan states explicitly on their site that being unhappy with the molded in colors is NOT a viable reason for a return/refund.  

• Like 1

Interesting video.  I've researched them years ago and pretty sure I had heard it was "baked" in - at least on some models, but seeing how they actually do it was different than I expected.

If I were doing a new McMillan stock for my Savage, I like the MARBLE - 60% BLACK 30% DARK BLUE 10% LIGHT BLUE, though I have liked the blue, black, and grey camo pattern since first noticing it (or something close) in the movie Speed, 20+ years ago.

ADJ-A3-5-MARBLE-60-BLACK-30-DARK-BLUE-10

camo-urban_x1000.jpg

One benefit of being a photographer is color calibrated monitors...  Unfortunately, the pictures people take often leave a lot to be desired, so it does me absolutely no good in the end anyway.  But at least on the rare occasion I actually sell something, it is accurately represented on my end...

I've occasionally been pleasantly surprised buying something that looks better than the pictures, but not too often.  Sometimes, the colors I was not super happy with at first become something I end up liking even more than what I'd hoped for.