revenger

This M1 carbine legal?

Yeah.... I made the mistake of wasting time  trying to come up with a logical reason for the m1 carbine being illegal.  This is where liberal thinking is shown to be devoid of facts and logic.  The best option i can come up with is moving to Pennsylvania and having an m1 being a self bought house warming gift.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Just curious, why is it illegal, the barrell?

if it wasn't called a carbine would it be Ok?

Because back in the 60's there were riots in Plainfield NJ and a bunch of M1's were stolen out of a factory. The answer was to outlaw them, problem solved.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, siderman said:

Because back in the 60's there were riots in Plainfield NJ and a bunch of M1's were stolen out of a factory. The answer was to outlaw them, problem solved.

This is the short of the story.

This is an important of history that everyone on this forum should learn. 

Google is your friend...

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Wow! Seems like out of 46 full auto M1's only a few were ever recovered! Considering all of the stolen rifles were full auto, I don't understand why the ban also includes semi auto versions which were never involved!

Because they knew that one day id really, really want that vengeance m1.

Would be an awesome piece to have. F*** this state and the communist sacks of s**t that run it.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

Would be an awesome piece to have. F*** this state and the communist sacks of s**t that run it.

Don't sweat it.  I had one - the AR platform is head and shoulders above the M-1 Carbine.  No comparison, really.

8 minutes ago, W2MC said:

Don't sweat it.  I had one - the AR platform is head and shoulders above the M-1 Carbine.  No comparison, really.

Yes, but you're comparing a battle rifle to what was probably the first Personal Defense Weapon.

33 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

I was thinking the same thing when I read the story.....I would love to own one of those!

I had heard that the full auto M2 used the exact same receiver as the M1.  Maybe that's why the M1 is banned.

Federally, the M2 receiver is a machine gun, whether it is setup for full-auto or not. Some were sent out as surplus, converted to semi-auto, then shipped back here and sold commercially as regular carbines. ATF believes once a machine gun, always a machine gun...

M1s did have some M2 parts installed. However, the ATF states that a M2 kit is comprised of seven parts. If you don’t have them all, no harm/foul. Have them all, whether installed or not (even without a M1 receiver present), you have a machine gun.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/firearms-guide-identification-firearms-section-1#M-2Carbine

NJ law, they really don’t go into detail why. Probably part with the riots, part with being able to convert easily to full-auto (criminal on the Federal level, anyways... but probably “feel good” law), and part being how easy it is to cut them down (another Federal law, which correctly calls it a SBR opposed to NJ... which lists such weapons as SBS [emoji849]).

In short, they are illegal in NJ, unless you had it registered as an assault weapon in the early 1990s. Cannot be transferred, even with inheritance, to anyone in NJ.

If there is a new M1 Carbine put out, without that stamped on the receiver, I’d wait for a letter like the M1A/Colt Match Target or Shockwave/TAC-14/BAT DT from the NJSP/AG before taking that chance.
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Screwball said:

If there is a new M1 Carbine put out, without that stamped on the receiver, I’d wait for a letter like the M1A/Colt Match Target or Shockwave/TAC-14/BAT DT from the NJSP/AG before taking that chance.

You must not remember the last flap about that not too long ago. I would  say that the default position of this NJAG will be NO, and while you are asking, all AK and AR pattern rifles are now banned because they are similar to the banned by name rifles, a la Mass AG not too long ago either.

I will post some gloating pix when I get the chance though :)

Any rifle with CNC/Laser engraving/carving on the stock should be banned on the basis of it being just plain ugly. To take a beautiful rifle like the M1 and pimp it up with all of that is a crime. CNC checkering/laser stippling -> OK. Pictures of battleships/bombers/ and a huge WWII -> NOT. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, siderman said:

The factory -- "Plainfield machine" was actually in Dunellen -- It's a childs day care now

37 minutes ago, Heavyopp said:

The factory -- "Plainfield machine" was actually in Dunellen -- It's a childs day care now

Funny thing. when I was a kid in the 60's I lived in Piscataway on the Dunellen border. Of course was clueless to all that strife back then.