Barms

Port forward misery.

I reset my router hoping to get my internet faster.  It worked.  Bad news is it knocked out my Hikvsion cameras.  I had a pro do the installation.  I’m lost now.   I’ve watched some videos on how to add the port to router but man Optimum router not looking anything like YouTube videos.  I’m gonna try to attach a pic.   “Select a Host?”  What’s that?  And I don’t even see where to put in the IP address?    If anybody has done Optimum port forward please a little help.

44674BA1-48E0-4F18-8FC2-82C9DB174A08.jpeg

Always take screenshots of your config or use a backup mechanism if OOL even bothered to add one to their chessy firmware and it will save you a lot of headaches next time..  a hostname is a is a name for the client,  for example your pc "might" be named “barms1, barms2 and so on.  I’d had Optimum for a while but always used my old router and modem so I can’t tell you where to look.

If no one here has an OOL router you might be able to call hikvision and they may have something like TeamViewer which gives them remote access to your pc so they could do it for you, or you could  go over to the OOL forum on dslreports, , they are an active group and I’m thinking they might be able to get you thru it.

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/ool

Yes.  YouTube is telling me 80 and 10554 my bloody issue is where on that screen shot do I type in the IP address?   Where does it say IPV4?

its like the worst user interface.   And what is difference between Port and Forard To Port?  Do I just make them both 80?

Port is outside (internet facing) and Forward-to-port is inside (device facing.)  it allows you to expose an internal port as a different external port.  ex: 8080 on the outside translated to 80 on the inside, if you needed to expose more than 1 HTTP server without a proxy.  in general though, you'll leave both the same.

12 minutes ago, Barms said:

my bloody issue is where on that screen shot do I type in the IP address?   Where does it say IPV4?

The YT video is using a Motorola router as an example.  Your actual router is probably not the same brand or model.  Even if it is, variations in firmware can make configuration screens look very different.

It does not matter what brand router you have though, setting up a configuration is basically the same, it's just the "screens" that are different (because they look different).

Hostname vs IP address.  You cant know the IP of the video server unless it is set as "static" in the network config of the video server, meaning the IP address never changes.  What never changes is the hostname.  You need to find the hostname of the video server.

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

Hostname vs IP address.  You cant know the IP of the video server unless it is set as "static" in the network config of the video server, meaning the IP address never changes.  What never changes is the hostname.  You need to find the hostname of the video server.

It is possible for the router to be configured to distribute a static IP to a device.  Depends on the router and how the user ones to do it. The above allows you to manage all the IP’s in one place and makes changes easier. 

15 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

It is possible for the router to be configured to distribute a static IP to a device.  Depends on the router and how the user ones to do it. The above allows you to manage all the IP’s in one place and makes changes easier. 

Routers don't distribute static IPs.  They can be configured to reserve an IP based on the mac address or hostname of a client.  When the client comes on line and requests an IP address (as per DHCP), the server will acknowledge the MAC address and assign the reserved IP address only to that client.

A static IP ca be set up in the client machine.  It does not make DHCP requests.

18 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Routers don't distribute static IPs.  They can be configured to reserve an IP based on the mac address or hostname of a client.  When the client comes on line and requests an IP address (as per DHCP), the server will acknowledge the MAC address and assign the reserved IP address only to that client.

A static IP ca be set up in the client machine.  It does not make DHCP requests.

You’re right. I was simplifying the terminology.  End result is the same: that device/server has an IP that doesn’t change. 

2 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

You’re right. I was simplifying the terminology.  End result is the same: that device/server has an IP that doesn’t change. 

I used to do this stuff for a living, it's not terribly complicated once you know the terminology and the basics of how things work, but there is no room for mistakes.  One wrong setting on the router, or sometimes a client, can hobble an entire network.

I lucked out.  My installer called me and I have him my Optimum log in and he did it remote he knew what the IP of the DVR was.   I will snap a picture of the settings for if it happens again.  Thank you all for guidance!!

1 minute ago, voyager9 said:

Are the Hikvision cameras local?  Why do they need port forwarding?  Do they record out to “the cloud” and then back in?

remote access is to video server so the user can access camera feeds real time.  The video server can probably send sms alerts via the internet to a smartphone if an event is triggered.

2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

remote access is to video server so the user can access camera feeds real time.  The video server can probably send sms alerts via the internet to a smartphone if an event is triggered.

The ports being forwarded should have clued me in. Http/rtsp.