silverado427

Gas tax hike Oct 1

I read that as well. Sucks.

also read that analysts are predicting gas to drop 25 cents a gallon in the fall. 

Hopefully we see some relief.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Yes, I do blame Christie for opening that pandora box. What was he thinking?

Oh, WE can blame Christie. But having the Treasury Dept blame him is hallow. 

Lets also not forget that the state decided it was OK to “borrow” against the Transportation fund.  So, yeah. No wonder it’s underfunded. 

Maybe we all should remember the not too distant history on the issue of the NJ gasoline tax.  Remember, this all started back in 2016. 

I know many of you have taken absolute positions on “NO NEW TAXES / NO INCREASE IN EXISTING TAXES”.  I get it and empathize, but at the same time also realize that all of our automobile repair bills for tires and wheels, along with everyone’s commuting time and resulting hassle factor will continue to increase if we collectively do nothing to fix our State's continually deteriorating transportation infrastructure.

FWIW, here is some background info:

AVB-AMG

1) any of you that are surprised by this weren't paying attention. it was written in to the bill that they forced down christies throat. 

2)avb….as usual, you're making excuses for them. if they'd been spending our money properly all along, then they wouldn't need this tax increase. in fact, from my undertstanding, the money collected on the increase isn't even going to fixing things, but rather to paying back loans......and this next increase will do the same. and they'll keep borrowing. against this increase. and they'll "need" another increase to pay it back. 

• Like 1

Sorry folks, Stevie Wonder could see this coming.  Notice how they structured the gas tax increase last time?  They don't need to vote for an increase ever again.  Al that has to happen is have the Gov certify that revenue doesn't meet the required level and - poof - the gas tax goes up.  Get ready for it - tomorrow they all start claiming they don't support this new increase but it's out of their hands.

• Like 2

Ok, let’s hypothesize for a moment with a rather extreme example.
Say you drive your car, minivan, SUV, or pickup truck 500 miles per week.
For sake of argument, assume your average gas mileage is a poor 13 miles per gallon.
So in this scenario, your going to have to purchase 38.46 gallons, (call it 39 gallons), of gasoline each week to travel that distance.
So, with a 4.3 cents (or $0.043) per gallon gas tax increase on Oct. 1st, you will have to pay an additional $1.65 per week for gasoline. 

Is that really going to break your budget?  You would spend that much on average, for one (1) Starbucks tall freshly brewed coffee

AVB-AMG

(EDIT - I corrected a silly late-night math error...)

The days of cheaper new jersey gas are over and i expect new jersey will be competing with California prices soon.  In 2011 all of the southern states i drove through to get to the Florida panhandle had higher gas prices.  This year i was able to get gas in Tennessee for $2.43.

15 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

So, with a 4.3 cents (or $0.43) per gallon gas tax increase on Oct. 1st, you will have to pay an additional $16.77 per week for gasoline. 

Is that really going to break your budget?  You would spend that much on average, for a large pepperoni pizza pie.

Wow, look at that, I actually agree with you on something. This 4.3 cents, by itself, is small potatoes, based on personal monthly spending..

But, it was that last 22 cent jump which was the crappy part, passed by the DEMOCRAT legislature in Trenton, I might add.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Wow, look at that, I actually agree with you on something. This 4.3 cents, by itself, is small potatoes, based on personal monthly spending..

But, it was that last 22 cent jump which was the crappy part, passed by the DEMOCRAT legislature in Trenton, I might add.

@Sniper22:

I think we ALL here can agree that NJ's Democrat controlled state legislature are a bunch of political hacks and loony toons....., regardless of their Party affiliation.  The consistent demonstration of their lack of common sense, ineptitude, self-interest, bordering on corruption, is legion and very disheartening, yet that most likely will not really change for the foreseeable future.

AVB-AMG

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

I think we ALL here can agree that NJ's Democrat controlled state legislature are a bunch of political hacks and loony toons.....   Their lack of common sense, self-interest, bordering on corruption, is legion and very disheartening, yet that most likely will not really change for the foreseeable future.

Holy crap, did hell just freeze over??????  We agreed twice, in one night..... Quick, go buy a lottery ticket!!!  :)

7 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Holy crap, did hell just freeze over??????  We agreed twice, in one night..... Quick, go buy a lottery ticket!!!  :)

@Sniper22:

Related image

And with that, I am going to bed.....
BTW, my wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a 10-day vacation way up in New York State's Adirondack State Park, so I will be off line for that period. 
I hope you all enjoy your short time of echo chamber agreement without my counter balancing voice of truth, honesty, citing facts and opinions based on reality.
(You all can hold your applause.... thank you):clapping:

AVB-AMG

P.S. - i really hope that Trump does not do anything even more screwed up while we are away.....

[mention=9309]Sniper22[/mention]:
BTW, my wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a 10-day vacation up in the Adirondacks so I will be off line for that period.  Enjoy your short time of echo chamber agreement without a counter balancing voice.  (You all can hold your applause.... thank you):clapping:
AVB-AMG
P.S. - i really hope that Trump does not do anything even more screwed up while we are away.....

He froze fed salaries for a savings of $25B. Just more winning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, capt14k said:

He froze fed salaries for a savings of $25B. Just more winning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Obama did the same thing in 2010-2012.  It was foolish then; its foolish now.  You cannot say you want to entice the "best and brightest" into government service; then pay them crap.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, silverado427 said:

Where the fk is the money that is collected for Gas tax, cigarette tax, and  tolls going.

Our roads should be paved with gold with all the TAX money that is collected every year.

The 911 taxes collected out of every phone bill go into the same hole, not one party does anything about it, FCC should do something about it but no they just report it.      politicians keep complaining about the pension system, fact is they will never do anything about it as long as they can keep manipulating it to their advantage,  pension system will remain.     police chiefs will still be retiring after 25 yrs and 0 sick days and walk away with 1/2 million dollar payouts.     

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mustang69 said:

Sorry folks, Stevie Wonder could see this coming.  Notice how they structured the gas tax increase last time?  They don't need to vote for an increase ever again.  Al that has to happen is have the Gov certify that revenue doesn't meet the required level and - poof - the gas tax goes up.  Get ready for it - tomorrow they all start claiming they don't support this new increase but it's out of their hands.

i spent a ton of time warning everyone i know about this shit.

This is great news.  Since they raised the tax on gasoline the roads are almost pot hole free.  With this new increase they will all be silky smooth.  Thanks goodness we have such a great government, thank you Trenton for all you do and how you prove to us everyday how you can spend our money better than we can. (yes just in case you don't notice sarcasm when you see it this is in jest).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, W2MC said:

You cannot say you want to entice the "best and brightest" into government service; then pay them crap.

Well, actually, government workers make like 30% more in public service versus the same position in private companies, so to start with, they're overpaid, and that's before the benefit package they get, thanks to the contribution of your tax dollars.

I won't even touch on the differences in productivity of a government worker versus a private sector worker.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

Ok, let’s hypothesize for a moment with a rather extreme example.
Say you drive your car, minivan, SUV, or pickup truck 500 miles per week.
For sake of argument, assume your average gas mileage is a poor 13 miles per gallon.
So in this scenario, you going to have to purchase 38.46 gallons, (call it 39 gallons), of gasoline each week to travel that distance.
So, with a 4.3 cents (or $0.043) per gallon gas tax increase on Oct. 1st, you will have to pay an additional $1.65 per week for gasoline. 

Is that really going to break your budget?  You would spend that much on average, for one (1) Starbucks tall freshly brewed coffee

AVB-AMG

that's hardly the point

25 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Well, actually, government workers make like 30% more in public service versus the same position in private companies, so to start with, they're overpaid, and that's before the benefit package they get, thanks to the contribution of your tax dollars.

I won't even touch on the differences in productivity of a government worker versus a private sector worker.

could not agree more.  Before any new taxes on the public, gov't needs to be gutted and made more efficient

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

This. Public sector jobs USED TO BE poorly paid and that was compensated with a healthy benefits package. Now they are compensated well and still maintain that benefits package, all the while crying about how much more they have to pay in each "renegotiation". :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Not sure about that. A NYC carpenter makes about %30 less than a union carpenter in NYC. The work load is definitely not nearly as challenging I’ll grant you that, but there benefits package isn’t better than ours either. 

12 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

Not sure about that. A NYC carpenter makes about %30 less than a union carpenter in NYC.

You're comparing two different animals, but both aren't government employees, they're still private. One has the union negotiating their wages for them, the other negotiates them by themselves.

17 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

Maybe we all should remember the not too distant history on the issue of the NJ gasoline tax.  Remember, this all started back in 2016. 

I know many of you have taken absolute positions on “NO NEW TAXES / NO INCREASE IN EXISTING TAXES”.  I get it and empathize, but at the same time also realize that all of our automobile repair bills for tires and wheels, along with everyone’s commuting time and resulting hassle factor will continue to increase if we collectively do nothing to fix our State's continually deteriorating transportation infrastructure.

FWIW, here is some background info:

AVB-AMG

I didn't mind the concept of a gas tax hike ot pay for infrastructure. I use the crap out of that infrastructure. 

The problem is we use it to fund a trust fund that constantly got raided. We need that infrastructure and we needed to protect it's fund along with the tax and as far as I could tell, that was not included in the plan, so.... no, not happy with any of it.

5 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Based upon what?

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 11:06 PM, silverado427 said:

Where the fk is the money that is collected for Gas tax, cigarette tax, and  tolls going.

Our roads should be paved with gold with all the TAX money that is collected every year.

Add in the 911cellphone tax, all that money went poof.

On 8/30/2018 at 11:38 PM, AVB-AMG said:

@Sniper22:

Related image

BTW, my wife and I are leaving tomorrow for a 10-day vacation way up in New York State's Adirondack State Park, so I will be off line for that period. 
I hope you all enjoy your short time of echo chamber agreement without my counter balancing voice of truth, honesty, citing facts and opinions based on reality.
(You all can hold your applause.... thank you):clapping:

AVB-AMG

Enjoy your vaycay. I snowmobile up in old forge in the adirondacks. Never seen it in the summer, but in the winter its an awesome place! Ill post an awesome pic or two i have later. If anyone wants an awesome weekend trip, that place is it!

Oh, and far as the tax thing goes, no fkin surprise. The initial gas tax hike along with the natural seasonal climb hit us hard. Between moving the house and business we put thousands of miles on our van, truck and trailer, each getting the usual crappy mileage (anywhere from around 7 or 8 loaded and hauling to 12 unloaded and no trailer and god knows what on the new van).  Then the cars going up and down.. damn gas tax alone probably took nearly a grand out of our pockets between us.. lol... talking about just under 2 hours each way.... and for the house about an hr 20.... adds up when you do a trip a day.

Dont even take the pickup up and down anymore, we put a hitch and brake controller on our new transit 250 just to haul as much as humanly possible with each trip. Never knew so much crap fit into our warehouse til we had to move it.. and we still arent done..

• Like 1