silverado427

Gas tax hike Oct 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Add in the 911cellphone tax, all that money went poof.

If people actually sat down and added up all the taxes they pay, at the barrel of a gun, they'd be marching on Trenton and DC with pitchforks and rope. I did that exercise a few years ago, and it totaled like 1/3 of our gross salary for the year. Most people don't think about it because taxation is added and spread between so many areas of our lives:

Federal income tax, State income tax, Sales tax, property tax, federal gas tax, state gas tax, utility taxes, cell phone taxes, cable taxes, Obamacare tax, Airline/flying tax, etc. Then if you add in the "fees" that you're mandatorily charged from many places, it gets crazy.

Everyone should do this drill, you'll be shocked.

Just now, Sniper22 said:

If people actually sat down and added up all the taxes they pay, at the barrel of a gun, they'd be marching on Trenton and DC with pitchforks and rope. I did that exercise a few years ago, and it totaled like 1/3 of our gross salary for the year. Most people don't think about it because taxation is added and spread between so many areas of our lives:

Federal income tax, State income tax, Sales tax, property tax, federal gas tax, state gas tax, utility taxes, cell phone taxes, cable taxes, Obamacare tax, Airline/flying tax, etc. Then if you add in the "fees" that you're mandatorily charged from many places, it gets crazy.

Everyone should do this drill, you'll be shocked.

It ends up being 40% ish... a lot ish. Been saying it here ad nauseam ..

surcharge is fancy word for tax

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zeke said:

It ends up being 40% ish... a lot ish. Been saying it here ad nauseam ..

surcharge is fancy word for tax

Exactly... I read tons of comments from people who complain about "income inequality", but they don't say boo about the level of taxes that get paid. It's almost if they don't want to keep that 40% of their salary "taken" from them.....

2 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Exactly... I read tons of comments from people who complain about "income inequality", but they don't say boo about the level of taxes that get paid. It's almost if they don't want to keep that 40% of their salary "taken" from them.....

Well, cough, what’s interesting @AVB-AMG is the “ party of the people “ champions regression taxes.

For example other than gas tax. JCPL is going for a 9% rate hike with BPU. Reason, less consumption... front page of JCPL  website “ how to cut down on consumption “

sooo we all go led, or hybrid cars or Tesla... cause ya know the air. And they still hose us!

Bag tax is my favorite “ well we don’t want the revenue , we want to change people’s behavior “l

#walkaway

• Like 1

On 8/30/2018 at 10:26 PM, AVB-AMG said:

Ok, let’s hypothesize for a moment with a rather extreme example.
Say you drive your car, minivan, SUV, or pickup truck 500 miles per week.
For sake of argument, assume your average gas mileage is a poor 13 miles per gallon.
So in this scenario, you going to have to purchase 38.46 gallons, (call it 39 gallons), of gasoline each week to travel that distance.
So, with a 4.3 cents (or $0.043) per gallon gas tax increase on Oct. 1st, you will have to pay an additional $1.65 per week for gasoline. 

Is that really going to break your budget?  You would spend that much on average, for one (1) Starbucks tall freshly brewed coffee

AVB-AMG

No one raindrop feels it’s responsible for the flood.  Which tax dollar matters in the most taxed state in the nation?  I’d pay the $1.65 but reduce my, former, $30,000 plus property taxes or reduce the 8.97% top income tax rate I was paying or maybe uncap the property tax write off, which may have happened. Sure an extra 4.3 cents on top of what?  37.5 cents?   Formerly 14?  Where does NJ rank in gas tax now?  NJ currently ranks 7th and after this increase NJ will the rank 5th. It used be second lowest, one benefit in an otherwise awful tax domicile, but that money was sucked out to pay for other structural shortfalls.  Had the gas tax money been left for road repairs, or perhaps if Nj didn’t cost 1mm / mile, not including debt service, none of this would’ve been necessary. 

So yes in isolation $1.65 is no big deal but how do you isolate that money from the barrel of money that’s already being paid?  What really needs to be considered is in the last two years the change in gas tax alone is $10.82 / week, using your example, or ~$564 / year   This still doesn’t capture the entire issue in NJ as outlined above  

in short I have to disagree with your analysis in justifying increasing taxes by focusing on the $1.65 / week.  By doing so you are ignoring the rest of the issue related to taxes obscuring the true picture.  This is a tactic often employed by progressives when trying to justify yet another new tax increase. 

• Like 1

My father pays approx 50% just in income taxes, before any property taxes on the house or two investment properties or anything else for that matter. Id bet for him its 70%+, the property taxes on the new house is like 25k. Cray cray.

• Like 1

NJ tax policy is best described using the old "boiling frog" observation. 

It goes something like this:  If you put a frog into a pot of boiling water it will jump right out.  If you put that same frog into a pot of cold water and turn on the heat the frog will cook because it won;t recognize the increasing temp until it's too late.

I have no idea at what point folks will recognize it but I believe NJ is already past the boiling point.  Notice the number of folks jumping out of the pot...  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

ALL tax policies can be described that way

NJ just uses a high boiling solvent so they can raise the temperature higher than most states. 

"Tax Freedom" day for NJ was May the third this year....we are tied with Connecticut, and bested only by NY, who's residents weren't free from the tax man until May the 14th.  

Its not the extra $1.65 a week; its the whole onerous picture.

Will the last one leaving NJ, PLEASE turn off the lights!

https://taxfoundation.org/publications/tax-freedom-day/

It goes something like this:  If you put a frog into a pot of boiling water it will jump right out.  If you put that same frog into a pot of cold water and turn on the heat the frog will cook because it won;t recognize the increasing temp until it's too late.
I have no idea at what point folks will recognize it but I believe NJ is already past the boiling point.  Notice the number of folks jumping out of the pot...  

Yup, I reached my boiling point which is why I left and went to Florida. What I am not paying in NJ income and property taxes in a year fully pays the annual rent on a four bedroom three bath home with a three car garage and I ground pool in an expensive part of the state. It’s time for everyone that can afford to leave to get the hell out of New Jermany.
  • Like 1

My father pays approx 50% just in income taxes, before any property taxes on the house or two investment properties or anything else for that matter. Id bet for him its 70%+, the property taxes on the new house is like 25k. Cray cray.

Sounds to me like he needs a better accountant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Sounds to me like he needs a better accountant.

He does well for himself. Investment properties were bought in cash and other than taxes and such there are 0 expenses.. so...

Plus we have the online sales business that does well.. add in an accountant who works completely the book.. perfect recipe for being taxed to death.. not the kind to suggest loopholes or investments to lower taxes etc... hes going to need to find a new one now that we are in SNJ.

He does well for himself. Investment properties were bought in cash and other than taxes and such there are 0 expenses.. so...
Plus we have the online sales business that does well.. add in an accountant who works completely the book.. perfect recipe for being taxed to death.. not the kind to suggest loopholes or investments to lower taxes etc... hes going to need to find a new one now that we are in SNJ.

Yes he definitely needs a new accountant.

9 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

I can recommend mine to ya. she's in Medford.....straight as an arrow. 

As much as we pay in road use taxes (gas tax), tolls, and other taxes in this crap hole state, the roads should be in excellent condition. I’ve been to 3rd world countries with better roads than NJ. It’s maddening....and I’m particularly angry after just spending $2500 in repairs after damage sustained after hitting a pothole on the NJ Turnpike. 2 wheels/tires, and front wheel bearings toasted because of that hole. Now, we are raising the gas tax again....and get absolutely nothing in return for it. 

I have half a mind to staple my repair bill to the head of DOT’s forehead and demand reimbursement. 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

As much as we pay in road use taxes (gas tax), tolls, and other taxes in this crap hole state, the roads should be in excellent condition. I’ve been to 3rd world countries with better roads than NJ. It’s maddening....and I’m particularly angry after just spending $2500 in repairs after damage sustained after hitting a pothole on the NJ Turnpike. 2 wheels/tires, and front wheel bearings toasted because of that hole. Now, we are raising the gas tax again....and get absolutely nothing in return for it. 

I have half a mind to staple my repair bill to the head of DOT’s forehead and demand reimbursement. 

isn't the turnpike privatley run? i'd send the bill to them. you don't drive on a toll road to deal with potholes.