Greenday

Range 129

So, I went there yesterday and it is a nice range. The shelves are still kind of bare, but I didn’t go there to go shopping. One think that left a sour taste in my mouth was the range bag “inspection”. They uncased all my guns and then opened the ammo boxes. One guy watching as they inspected my Grand Power K100 asked “are those 10 round mags?” I didn’t answer because it’s none of his damn business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

So, I went there yesterday and it is a nice range. The shelves are still kind of bare, but I didn’t go there to go shopping. One think that left a sour taste in my mouth was the range bag “inspection”. They uncased all my guns and then opened the ammo boxes. One guy watching as they inspected my Grand Power K100 asked “are those 10 round mags?” I didn’t answer because it’s none of his damn business.

Well that’s something new

13 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

WTH?

When did they do this?  Did they go through it or did you have to show them?

That is completely ridiculous. 

8 hours ago, Darrenf said:

Another range wanting to do the job of the State Police? I wouldn't go near the place now.

• Like 1

WTH?
When did they do this?  Did they go through it or did you have to show them?
That is completely ridiculous. 

Before entering the “airlock” to the actual range itself. There is a staging area with a counter where they have you open your range bag. He then opened each gun case and the 9mm ammo box. He didn’t check the .22 box because “not many people reload them”. I’m going to have to talk to them about the issues many in this community are going to have with these inspections. I suspect the word “insurance” will be somewhere in the reply.

Another range wanting to do the job of the State Police? I wouldn't go near the place now.

What other range does anything like this?

34 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

What other range does anything like this?

Not exactly that. But mag policing and bogus FID requirements.

I've had one of the owners sons of Bullet Hole in Belleville ask me if my 30rd p mags were blocked to 15rds. But told me if I was on the job it would be fine. Never stepped foot in that place again.

And here is a thread I started about a range wanting to confiscate your guns because you "might" have become a prohibited person, essentially doing the work of the State Police.

I find it harder and harder to support any local NJ gun businesses.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

If you come here to purchase a gun, and bring your range bag - I promise not to ask you what is in the bag.........

Lol

I've bought a DPMS rifle from you. One of the best buying experiences I've had in NJ. The distance between us is the limiting factor 

• Like 1

Bag inspections, safety videos, ammunition regulations, bullet bans, Identification requirements, rental restrictions, and I am sure there are more things.

This is why I hate shooting at any NJ range, except Old Bridge.

3 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Not exactly that. But mag policing and bogus FID requirements.

I've had one of the owners sons of Bullet Hole in Belleville ask me if my 30rd p mags were blocked to 15rds. But told me if I was on the job it would be fine. Never stepped foot in that place again.

And here is a thread I started about a range wanting to confiscate your guns because you "might" have become a prohibited person, essentially doing the work of the State Police.

I find it harder and harder to support any local NJ gun businesses.

I actually don't have an issue with them purely asking if your mags are blocked or not.  It is after all their range and don't believe that common question should be the sole reason to avoid the range.

"Is the mag blocked?"

"Yes"

Have a nice day.

At Range 14 they actually took one of my mags and inspected it. .

In the case of going through my range bag, that is a whole other story.

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Bag inspections, safety videos, ammunition regulations, bullet bans, Identification requirements, rental restrictions, and I am sure there are more things.

This is why I hate shooting at any NJ range, except Old Bridge.

Ray Ray,

The safety video is required by insurance carriers and I have zero issues with it for public ranges, you do it once and that's it.  Even here in PA they have them, but get this... some ranges even charge a "one time fee" for the safety video.

Rental and ID is once again insurance and I don't see issues with it.

Ammunition regulations I understand but don't agree with.  (in the case of reloaded ammo).  If a round go kaboom, only the shooter is likely to get seriously hurt.  steel core bullets however I do understand as it does hurt the backstop and damages it prematurely.

The bag inspections however are completely over the line.

I tried getting an invite to bring our "wares" to Range 129 for Black Friday.  Called them several days prior.  Was told that the "owners would need to have a meeting to decide if I could come & represent CNJFO" & that the guy I spoke to (William Wolfson) would call me back the next day with an answer.  I'm still WAITING!  Good thing I went to Reloaderz on Black Friday & spent 8 1/2 hours THERE in Wayne, NJ!  Meanwhile, I've posted picture stories of Range 129 all thru the construction phase on the CNJFO Facebook page & even reminded them of that via a speaker-phone conference call several days prior to their grand opening.  Also, Wolfson has liked our page & lurked for a while, so it's not like he doesn't know what makes us "tick"...

So those of you that were there ( @Darrenf ) on Black Friday, was there a tiny piece of space to set-up a small folding table with our wares?  Were there any other groups there?  One of our Trustees was going to come-up from Wildwood Crest to man our table for the day...  We TRY to do things is So. Jersey but somehow the Fudds ruin it???

Color me NOT HAPPY!  Here's our table at SC Arms & Ammo of Spotswood, NJ on last Sunday:

Image may contain: Tony Simon and Jaime Rivera, people smiling

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Maksim said:

I actually don't have an issue with them purely asking if your mags are blocked or not.  It is after all their range and don't believe that common question should be the sole reason to avoid the range.

"Is the mag blocked?"

"Yes"

Have a nice day.

At Range 14 they actually took one of my mags and inspected it. .

In the case of going through my range bag, that is a whole other story.

I have an issue with ranges policing mags. Same as I would have an issue if they started inspecting the muzzle device and stock of my AR.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

I have an issue with ranges policing mags. Same as I would have an issue if they started inspecting the muzzle device and stock of my AR.

Why?

If it is a public range they can already do that by standing behind you and counting shots.

In reality, pistol mags would be tough to check and I think would waste more time.

For rifle mags however, there is more risk to the range.

So it is okay if I come to an NJ range with a 100 round AR drum, or 100 or 60 round surefire mags?  Even if they are blocked to 10/15... would only attract more attention.

From the range owner standpoint... all it would take is for one anti gunner to go in and take a picture of you shooting your blocked 30 rounders and state...

"Here is a picture of this range which allows people to shoot their assault rifles with high capacity clips."

It attracts too much attention and carries too much risk for a range.

Besides, if the range is responsible for safety of others, the RO's and the ranges are within full rights to ask you what you are shooting.  Don't like, don't shoot there.

Only way you are not going to get questions is if you shoot at your own range or your own property.

At a private club, say OB, or CJ... you would still raise questions.

Are they going to go through your bags?  No.... but if you are "in my house" and have something that is not normal... would absolutely be checking it out.

Keep in mind, MOST regular gun owners at a range are not shooting blocked 15/30, they are shooting blocked 15/20 or smaller chopped mags. 

It's like this... you can drive around in a red Ferrari with "Fuk Da Police" sticker on the back... you should expect to get pulled over.  If you are shooting at any type of public range, expect attention.

23 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Why?

If it is a public range they can already do that by standing behind you and counting shots.

In reality, pistol mags would be tough to check and I think would waste more time.

So it is okay if I come to an NJ range with a 100 round AR drum, or 100 or 60 round surefire mags?  Even if they are blocked to 10/15... would only attract more attention.

From the range owner standpoint... all it would take is for one anti gunner to go in and take a picture of you shooting your blocked 30 rounders and state...

"Here is a picture of this range which allows people to shoot their assault rifles with high capacity clips."

Besides, if the range is responsible for safety of others, the RO's and the ranges are within full rights to ask you what you are shooting.  Don't like, don't shoot there.

Only way you are not going to get questions is if you shoot at your own range or your own property.

Are they going to go through your bags?  No.... but if you are "in my house" and have something that is not normal... would absolutely be checking it out.

Keep in mind, MOST regular gun owners at a range are not shooting blocked 15/30, they are shooting blocked 15/20 or smaller chopped mags. 

It's like this... you can drive around in a red Ferrari with "Fuk Da Police" sticker on the back... you should expect to get pulled over.  If you are shooting at any type of public range, expect attention.

I get what you are saying and there is merit here however, at CJ, I've never been asked and we don't ask other people (at least my circle doesn't).  I will say this, last summer I was there during the week and and a nice older man was shooting his m1 he had in ww2/korea and he was full auto.  I went over, thanked him for his service, spoke a bit and admired his firearm.  I never made a comment on legality, he brought it up and politely said along these lines, 'this kept me safe from the japs and the chinese and I'll be dead before I give it up'......  was ready to buy the man dinner after that!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

I get what you are saying and there is merit here however, at CJ, I've never been asked and we don't ask other people (at least my circle doesn't).  I will say this, last summer I was there during the week and and a nice older man was shooting his m1 he had in ww2/korea and he was full auto.  I went over, thanked him for his service, spoke a bit and admired his firearm.  I never made a comment on legality, he brought it up and politely said along these lines, 'this kept me safe from the japs and the chinese and I'll be dead before I give it up'......  was ready to buy the man dinner after that!

Grizz? Lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

Why?

Safety of others?? Well, I guess if restricted capacity mags is going to make us all safer, then I'm on board too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

I tried getting an invite to bring our "wares" to Range 129 for Black Friday.  Called them several days prior.  Was told that the "owners would need to have a meeting to decide if I could come & represent CNJFO" & that the guy I spoke to (William Wolfson) would call me back the next day with an answer.  I'm still WAITING!  Good thing I went to Reloaderz on Black Friday & spent 8 1/2 hours THERE in Wayne, NJ!  Meanwhile, I've posted picture stories of Range 129 all thru the construction phase on the CNJFO Facebook page & even reminded them of that via a speaker-phone conference call several days prior to their grand opening.  Also, Wolfson has liked our page & lurked for a while, so it's not like he doesn't know what makes us "tick"...

So those of you that were there ( @Darrenf ) on Black Friday, was there a tiny piece of space to set-up a small folding table with our wares?  Were there any other groups there?  One of our Trustees was going to come-up from Wildwood Crest to man our table for the day...  We TRY to do things is So. Jersey but somehow the Fudds ruin it???

Color me NOT HAPPY!  Here's our table at SC Arms & Ammo of Spotswood, NJ on last Sunday:

Image may contain: Tony Simon and Jaime Rivera, people smiling

I wasn't there on Black Friday Rosey, so I can't comment on what occurred that day.  i will say that I went back today, and it couldn't have gone much worse.  When they went to inspect everything this time, i took all the gun cases and ammo out of my range bag, and also asked to speak with the owner.  Someone ran and got him, and I asked him if this is going to happen every time, even for regulars.  is there some sort of system they have in place to make this less of a hassle in the future?  His response was that this was a corporate decision to insure my safety.  I replied that i agree safety is paramount, but no other range I have ever been to has done anything even close to this and that they have perfect safety records.  I was again told it was a corporate decision (I thought you were the owner).  It was obvious I would get no where, so I just went to shoot.  When I was finished shooting I came back out into the staging area and as I did that the owner was walking back in.  I told him "look, I'm not trying to be an asshole, but you have to understand that here in NJ us gunowners are treated as second class citizens, and ranges are looked at as a sort of a refuge.  We don't expect to have to pay a private individual who then shows less trust in us than even the state does.  He replied that because NJ is so messed up, this procedure can help when new people come in to see how rigid everything is, and develop their trust in the range. I said I agree it could be helpful for newbies, but you have to understand that seasoned shooters and 2A advocates, the people likely to bring the newbies into your range see this as invasive at the least. I also told him that when I stopped in the first time while my guns were being inspected, another employee asked "Is that a 10 round magazine?".  I told the owner, so now you guys are law enforcement too?  That's when another employee chimed in with "The reason I asked that question is to educate people who might not know the law"  I told him, first it wasn't you that asked the question and if that's the case then phrasing is important.  He replied "well I deal in absolutes". ( I almost laughed out loud that someone would say something so stupid, my thought was that this guy must love the Star Wars Prequels, LMAO) I again said that education is admirable but phrasing is important.  Asking someone if that is a 10 round mag isn't helpful, and I was about to tell him a better way to phrase the question but he wasn't interested. He cut me off to repeat that he deals in absolutes. LOL  I said, look, I am trying to help you here by telling you what your consumer would hope to see.  i forgot what he said but he cut me off again.  I said this is so disappointing, I've been looking forward to this range opening for almost 2 years, been telling everyone about it, let my membership at Shooters lapse, and this is the treatment they dispense.  You have a customer who is trying to tell you what they would like to see but you aren't listening.  He interjected that he is listening to which I cut him off and raised my voice a bit now and said, yes, you're listening, that's why you keep cutting me off.  Well done.  At this point I was exiting the room and told the owner, that I hope they have a meeting to get this righted soon.  I'm not optimistic, which is sad, because it's a beautiful local facility, and I'd love to see it thrive, but if this is how they plan on treating customers, they won't be in business long.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

I wasn't there on Black Friday Rosey, so I can't comment on what occurred that day.  i will say that I went back today, and it couldn't have gone much worse.  When they went to inspect everything this time, i took all the gun cases and ammo out of my range bag, and also asked to speak with the owner.  Someone ran and got him, and I asked him if this is going to happen every time, even for regulars.  is there some sort of system they have in place to make this less of a hassle in the future?  His response was that this was a corporate decision to insure my safety.  I replied that i agree safety is paramount, but no other range I have ever been to has done anything even close to this and that they have perfect safety records.  I was again told it was a corporate decision (I thought you were the owner).  It was obvious I would get no where, so I just went to shoot.  When I was finished shooting I came back out into the staging area and as I did that the owner was walking back in.  I told him "look, I'm not trying to be an asshole, but you have to understand that here in NJ us gunowners are treated as second class citizens, and ranges are looked at as a sort of a refuge.  We don't expect to have to pay a private individual who then shows less trust in us than even the state does.  He replied that because NJ is so messed up, this procedure can help when new people come in to see how rigid everything is, and develop their trust in the range. I said I agree it could be helpful for newbies, but you have to understand that seasoned shooters and 2A advocates, the people likely to bring the newbies into your range see this as invasive at the least. I also told him that when I stopped in the first time while my guns were being inspected, another employee asked "Is that a 10 round magazine?".  I told the owner, so now you guys are law enforcement too?  That's when another employee chimed in with "The reason I asked that question is to educate people who might not know the law"  I told him, first it wasn't you that asked the question and if that's the case then phrasing is important.  He replied "well I deal in absolutes". ( I almost laughed out loud that someone would say something so stupid, my thought was that this guy must love the Star Wars Prequels, LMAO) I again said that education is admirable but phrasing is important.  Asking someone if that is a 10 round mag isn't helpful, and I was about to tell him a better way to phrase the question but he wasn't interested. He cut me off to repeat that he deals in absolutes. LOL  I said, look, I am trying to help you here by telling you what your consumer would hope to see.  i forgot what he said but he cut me off again.  I said this is so disappointing, I've been looking forward to this range opening for almost 2 years, been telling everyone about it, let my membership at Shooters lapse, and this is the treatment they dispense.  You have a customer who is trying to tell you what they would like to see but you aren't listening.  He interjected that he is listening to which I cut him off and raised my voice a bit now and said, yes, you're listening, that's why you keep cutting me off.  Well done.  At this point I was exiting the room and told the owner, that I hope they have a meeting to get this righted soon.  I'm not optimistic, which is sad, because it's a beautiful local facility, and I'd love to see it thrive, but if this is how they plan on treating customers, they won't be in business long.  

"For your safety". Where have I heard that before? Oh yeah, that's right, anti-gun Democratic talking points. Cudos to Range 129.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Darrenf said:

What did you say?

Just shared a link to this discussion here to get their comment and to see what can be done.

Want them to give their view point, but more importantly figure out whether they will stick to this or not. 

• Like 1

Just now, Maksim said:

Just shared a link to this discussion here to get their comment and to see what can be done.

Want them to give their view point, but more importantly figure out whether they will stick to this or not. 

That would be good, the more communication the better.  The conversations in person felt very confrontational, and that isn't going to help anybody.