Greenday

Range 129

6 hours ago, Zeke said:

Our anniversary... only ones there.

ro would only let us load mags in port

only 1 firearm alowed in port... perhaps jus a bad ro. Been there a few times, that one was the worst and different .

Only ONE open firearm allowed in a Port?  You're at the wrong joint, lol!  Here's a pic from a typical Tony Simon Diversity Shoot.  When the next shooter steps-up they point to what they wanna shoot.  Noobs get to dry fire, and old hands help load mags.  Only ONE gun is handled, loaded & fired at a time.  FYI the same guy owns the Chiefs Special, The Thompson, and the Red 9 Mauser Broomhandle.  Everything gets opened prior to the crowd's rush, then cleared prior to being put away.

No automatic alt text available.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Darrenf said:

So @Maksim and @Smokin .50, i guess it's safe to assume you have heard zilch from Range 129 at this point?

Good thing I didn't hold my breath!  After giving them free publicity all thru their construction & announcing their opening, I'd think by now they know our Facebook page, website & associated email.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Only ONE open firearm allowed in a Port?  You're at the wrong joint, lol!  Here's a pic from a typical Tony Simon Diversity Shoot.  When the next shooter steps-up they point to what they wanna shoot.  Noobs get to dry fire, and old hands help load mags.  Only ONE gun is handled, loaded & fired at a time.  FYI the same guy owns the Chiefs Special, The Thompson, and the Red 9 Mauser Broomhandle.  Everything gets opened prior to the crowd's rush, then cleared prior to being put away.

Wait till @Bighungry618 and I bring @Darrenf to penslytucky...

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

What is that long gun on the left.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Wait till @Bighungry618 and I bring @Darrenf to penslytucky...

you can come to my range.. we can setup steel.. you can run around.. shoot SBRs.. big mags.. whatever you want..

just don't leave any alcohol in the fridge when you go.. apparently they don't like that..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, silverado427 said:

What is that long gun on the left.

A Jersey legal Auto Ordnance semi-auto version of a Thompson Sub Machine Gun in .45 ACP.  Fires from a CLOSED BOLT via a standard, spring actuated sear & firing pin.  Will accept all Thompson mags, so ya can really have fun in Free Amerikka w/o a tax stamp (still semi)!  

Believe it or not, but the guy who owns it used to be an ANTI, and is now a gun-wielding Patriot! :) And a friend of mine!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

A Jersey legal Auto Ordnance semi-auto version of a Thompson Sub Machine Gun in .45 ACP.  Fires from a CLOSED BOLT via a standard, spring actuated sear & firing pin.  Will accept all Thompson mags, so ya can really have fun in Free Amerikka w/o a tax stamp (still semi)! 

My list just got a +1 and in my favorite (read stocked up) caliber!

And now it's off to GunBroker to see what they're asking ...

14 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

My list just got a +1 and in my favorite (read stocked up) caliber!

And now it's off to GunBroker to see what they're asking ...

Every time I have been to Shooters they have one of these in stock.

8 hours ago, Truthsayer said:

This topic is surprisingly quiet.

Been shooting there regularly. I usually have the rifle range to myself so it's been perfect for practice.

I will say I finally had a sour experience there earlier this week. Went in for my "inspection". You guys are right, I totally get it now. They have signs on the door saying no mags over 10 rounds allowed. I have a thick, extra long yoga mat that I use for shooting prone. It's indoors, I don't need anything crazy. The head range officer that night told me I couldn't use the yoga mat anymore because what if I use it at a yoga studio or something and then the heavy metals spread around. -_- Then afterwards I was talking to him about reloading and he basically was trying his best to convince me not to get into it, that it's dangerous, etc. Who is he to tell me not get into a hobby? That's not his job.

Spoke to the owner today and told him about my experience. He said he didn't see any issue with the yoga mat, especially as I had used it there multiple times before. He's going to talk to the RSO's about it so everyone is on the same page.

Otherwise, facility is still real nice. Still haven't gotten their rental rifles in. They now have special days for discounts. Military Monday, College Night Tuesdays, and "Shewolves" Wednesdays. $25 rental, lane, and 3 targets. $35 rental, lane, 3 targets, eyes, and ears. $10 eyes and ears is a tad absurd to me. Might as well buy a cheap pair of safety glasses and ear plugs for half that.

2 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Who is he to tell me not get into a hobby? That's not his job.

Ah, Greenday… I see there's hope for you yet! ;)

Seriously though... you're 100 percent right, that's not his place. In fact, it's a pretty appalling attitude from a range officer. This is all part of the modern trend of infantilizing the public and encouraging a learned helplessness... I've really grown to hate that!  If you want to reload, I'm sure you'll be a smart cookie about it... you'll research it carefully, ask a ton of questions, and you'll do it safely. That's all there is to it. 

• Agree 1

It sucks. There's a guy at work who reloads all of his own ammo for competition shooting and won't shoot factory ammo. Records every single measurement possible. Very meticulous. He's willing to teach me all about it and I know I can do it no problem. But there's no indoor ranges that allow it.

11 minutes ago, Greenday said:

It sucks. There's a guy at work who reloads all of his own ammo for competition shooting and won't shoot factory ammo. Records every single measurement possible. Very meticulous. He's willing to teach me all about it and I know I can do it no problem. But there's no indoor ranges that allow it.

Well, if you're getting into rifle shooting, I would think you'll want to shoot more outdoors anyway. It's got to be waaaay healthier to not be breathing in all that lead dust (particularly shooting prone in an indoor range). So, you could just use factory ammo at an indoor range in the bitter months when you don't feel like getting frozen... and use the reloaded ammo shooting outdoors the rest of the year. I really think the WMAs are great for that (if there's one near you with a rifle range). The cost of a hunting license is far less than the cost of many outdoor ranges. Worth checking out if you practice at 100 yds most of the time.

Like you, I have someone who's going to teach me reloading. I'm looking forward to it!