Greenday

Range 129

7 hours ago, Truthsayer said:

No inventory. Hope people that signed up for memberships get their money’s worth before they go under. 

I'd rather they get their act together instead of having them go under, but if they do, someone competent @gunforhire? could scoop it up and turn it around, because the facility itself is very nice.

On 12/3/2018 at 9:15 PM, Smokin .50 said:

Only ONE open firearm allowed in a Port?  You're at the wrong joint, lol!  Here's a pic from a typical Tony Simon Diversity Shoot.  When the next shooter steps-up they point to what they wanna shoot.  Noobs get to dry fire, and old hands help load mags.  Only ONE gun is handled, loaded & fired at a time.  FYI the same guy owns the Chiefs Special, The Thompson, and the Red 9 Mauser Broomhandle.  Everything gets opened prior to the crowd's rush, then cleared prior to being put away.

No automatic alt text available.

Very cool to see a broomhandle on the firing line!

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Truthsayer said:

No inventory. Hope people that signed up for memberships get their money’s worth before they go under. 

Yea, inventory is still limited. They did say the most hassle they were given for this whole thing was being able to sell guns. Though maybe they need help with knowing what people want these days. Pistol range is always busy when I'm there so I'm not surprised most of their inventory is handguns.

Small other update: they took my suggestion and got stools for the rifle range so you can shoot from the seated position. They also got a couple nice shooting mats so people can shoot prone who are interested in trying that but don't have their own. I think quite a few people have been shooting prone as they've modified the targets to be lower for those who are prone.

Went there 2 days ago. Really like the place and their prices are pretty good for an indoor range. The staff was really nice to me and our 2 other shooters. The one handgun range looked pretty filled up, but the other one was empty. We were the only ones on the rifle range. The RO was really nice, didn't do anything but BS with us, he really likes the sport. They have a lot of pistols for sale now, I would say 6 or 7 full cases. The prices were pretty decent too. I hope the place does well, I am going back there Friday with another shooter. I am considering joining, the price for a combined membership to the rifle and pistol range is a little cheaper then other places with just pistol ranges. They did not check our mags but they did check our rifles really quick. We had 3 rifles in the same bay with no issue.

Also they added a bay with a bench and they have a couple of stools. They have long guns for sale as well. 

On 11/29/2018 at 7:35 PM, Smokin .50 said:

You're right of course.  It's just that so many here on both sides are overtly "touchy" about the subject. I appreciate your family's service & your principles as stated above.  The reason I brought it up (the ass-kissing & potential non-inspection) is that some ranges (like 129) have a multi-tier pricing structure giving discounts and SOME of those venues treat the citizenry as 2nd Class citizens.  A real "Class Operation" makes everyone feel welcome regardless of their haircut style.  Perhaps I could have used better phrasing to make my point, but I think you get my drift.  In any event, I don't want to derail my main point, as stated.

The only inspection I have undergone was more of a question at The Bullet Hole. The old heavy set guy asked me what caliber my long gun was because I didn't pay extra for a rifle port. I proudly replied "twenty-two long rifle, boss!"

If a range asked to see my stuff for any reason other than real safety (as in my gun looks damaged, or unsafe to fire), I would get my money back and go elsewhere. I don't care when a RO watches me, they are there TO do that. I care when they say something stupid.

Oh, and I quoted you because this is the only acceptable haircut for an adult male:

Military-Undercut-High-and-Tight.jpg

Or some length variation, ignore the individual actually pictured.

I don't really know what they were looking at to be honest with you. The RO did clear them, but he was just eyeing them over really quick. They did mention finding some with out fixed stock previously, but all of our rifles are compliant so it was not an issue. Our other 2 shooters had 10/30 mags and they didn't even look at them. It did not bother me at all. 

19 minutes ago, MacDan said:

I don't really know what they were looking at to be honest with you. The RO did clear them, but he was just eyeing them over really quick. They did mention finding some with out fixed stock previously, but all of our rifles are compliant so it was not an issue. Our other 2 shooters had 10/30 mags and they didn't even look at them. It did not bother me at all. 

It would bother me. It’s none of their damn business. Does he get a medal or patch for every 5 rifles he finds that are out of “compliance?”  His job is range safety officer not a cop.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

14 minutes ago, carl_g said:

It would bother me. It’s none of their damn business. Does he get a medal or patch for every 5 rifles he finds that are out of “compliance?”  His job is range safety officer not a cop.

+100000000000000

On 1/8/2019 at 10:22 AM, Greenday said:

Small other update: they took my suggestion and got stools for the rifle range so you can shoot from the seated position. They also got a couple nice shooting mats so people can shoot prone who are interested in trying that but don't have their own. I think quite a few people have been shooting prone as they've modified the targets to be lower for those who are prone.

On the plus side, the folks at 129 are taking suggestions from members and modifying their practices to provide enhanced customer service. I respect that from any business.

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

• They looked at them?

• They cleared them?

• They examined them for N.J. Assault Weapons compliance?

20 minutes ago, carl_g said:

It would bother me. It’s none of their damn business. Does he get a medal or patch for every 5 rifles he finds that are out of “compliance?”

On the negative side, as noted above, there's still no clarity as to "why" these checks are being done. And if they  involve pulling guns out of bags anywhere but the range (& pointed downrange) there remains a potential unexplained safety issue. That's a concern, isn't it? 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 11/27/2018 at 10:24 PM, Darrenf said:

So, I went there yesterday and it is a nice range. The shelves are still kind of bare, but I didn’t go there to go shopping. One think that left a sour taste in my mouth was the range bag “inspection”. They uncased all my guns and then opened the ammo boxes. One guy watching as they inspected my Grand Power K100 asked “are those 10 round mags?” I didn’t answer because it’s none of his damn business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

IT'S kinda far for me....but that inspection thing alone will prevent me from ever going there to buy or shoot.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I'd rather let someone look at my rifle for 5 seconds then have less places to shoot in the area. That and the fact that they are not gouging you on the pricing. I had an enjoyable experience and everyone there was polite to me, which is more than you can say about a lot of ranges and shops. 

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, MacDan said:

I'd rather let someone look at my rifle for 5 seconds then have less places to shoot in the area. That and the fact that they are not gouging you on the pricing. I had an enjoyable experience and everyone there was polite to me, which is more than you can say about a lot of ranges and shops. 

Free market, someone will come along and do it better.

5 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

I'VE shot at bobs and hagues. i didn't much care for hagues due to poor lighting and ventilation in the range. liked the people there though. polite, and knowledgable. same goes for bobs people, but his range is very nice..

From Absecon, you could get to Shooters or Full Metal Jacket in just as much time as it'd take to get to Deptford. FMJ have been fantastic and are clearly huge supporters of 2A rights. Not a huge selection there since it's a smaller place but they'll order anything and get it quick. Shooters I have mixed opinions on. Huge selection, prices are higher. Staff has been pretty friendly and helpful. Except for one guy who tried to prevent me from shooting my Wolf ammo because "Wolf only sells steel core ammo". And refused to believe me about Wolf Gold being a thing despite having 100 rounds in my bag. This was the guy giving the range safety briefings too.

All that being said, I'll still go to 129. We have a good rapport with the staff there. The 100 yard indoor range is great. They let me shoot as long as I want. Have fixed stuff for free that's not complicated. And the RO's do a great job helping out new shooters do everything safely. Do I think the safety check, or whatever it is, is a good idea? No, but the effect on me is minimal on me at worst.

On 3/13/2019 at 2:26 PM, carl_g said:

The constant violations of our citizens with these unnecessary inspections should stop. As stated, they’re not cops...just RSO’s. if it’s done under the guise of safety they are full of nonsense. They are removing firearms and manipulating them in a small room without a proper backstop. 

On 3/13/2019 at 3:45 PM, Vicious said:

Free market, someone will come along and do it better.

Free market agreed....but I’ll venture to say these owners who really don’t know what they’re doing, will be either shut down or bought out. Liens abound on the property. 

On 12/21/2018 at 4:20 PM, Greenday said:

It sucks. There's a guy at work who reloads all of his own ammo for competition shooting and won't shoot factory ammo. Records every single measurement possible. Very meticulous. He's willing to teach me all about it and I know I can do it no problem. But there's no indoor ranges that allow it.

Gun For Hire...Woodland Park Range  most certainly allows it..  just not in there rental guns...which is totally understandable.

5 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

Gun For Hire...Woodland Park Range  most certainly allows it..  just not in there rental guns...which is totally understandable.

Honestly, I have yet to see a range that really goes after it.

Simple enough solution... put your reloaded ammo into original factory boxes.  If you blow up your gun, you blow up your gun.

For range rentals, yes, absolute should be using range ammo for it and how I would set up my rules unless I know you personally.

I also would agree with the range on steel core ammo which would destroy backstops. 

5 hours ago, Tunaman said:

That's a two hour drive. Quicker to just go to PA at that point.

1 hour ago, Truthsayer said:

How is Joe Wolfson (owner) a rangemaster when he was never a rangemaster and never physically attended any NRA certified training?

Why do Range129 owners terminate employees who are Veterans via text when they state how they pride themselves on hiring veterans?

How do they get away with using the second floor of the building for retail when there’s no elevator and it’s not approved by the building inspector and a fire code violation?

Just a few interesting questions to ponder!

Welcome...

Not sure on the others but You can be the range master, as long as they do not say NRA Rangemaster?  Not that it really matters though... if you own it, you own it.

I do agree terminating employees via txt is not the best way, but I have no clue what you are talking about?  Assuming they were terminated for some other reason?  Terminated for being a Vet?  Doubt it... 

Range 129 is not a vendor and I have no vested interest in it, but seems like you have an axe to grind with them so I would hope you share a complete story rather than unfounded allegations.

If you have a personal experience, leave a review for them... 

20 minutes ago, Truthsayer said:

No axe to grind...just stating a fact. We are all allowed to have a difference of opinion. 

When someone has no firearms range experience, they shouldn’t be rangemaster. I find that to be a dangerous situation. 

No one said people were terminated for being a veteran. But when someone brags about how they hire vets yet terminated them via text message for no apparent reason, then anyone would have issue.

Just out of curiosity....

Define “No apparent reason”.

How do you know the owner had “No apparent reason” and this employee, veteran or not, was fired for a legitimate reason?

I have never been to this range, and will probably never go there, so I have no dog in this, but you do seem to have a pretty serious axe to grind. I am always suspicious of someone’s motives when I see these kinds of posts.

You’ve been here for just a few months (joined a few days after this thread started), only have 5 posts, and they have all been in this thread. Then, you necropost a dead thread, just to slam the owner with what are, for all intents and purposes, unsubstantiated claims of unfairness against a veteran.

That’s a lot of energy and thought expended for a mere difference of opinion.

Just sayin’....

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Truthsayer said:

No axe to grind...just stating a fact. We are all allowed to have a difference of opinion. 

When someone has no firearms range experience, they shouldn’t be rangemaster. I find that to be a dangerous situation. 

No one said people were terminated for being a veteran. But when someone brags about how they hire vets yet terminated them via text message for no apparent reason, then anyone would have issue.

You can have a difference of opinion and this site is all about that... but you are making unfounded allegations without backing any of them up.

While I have not looked at the NRA Rangemaster course... let's be honest... we are all adults here, when your range is everyone behind a common firing line and you have range officers and a bullet proof divider... the range master is not going to do much if anything.  But realistically, this is why experienced gun owners don't go to public ranges.

I am not worried about the range master, I am worried about other gun owners at the range.  

Have you witnessed anything unsafe as a direct result of an experienced range master?

Where does a Rangemaster mean a lot?  Sanctioned shooting matches... and mostly in regards to target placement safety, equipment calibration and knowing the rules of the game inside and out.

For a public range... I think everything can be summed up as "Don't be a dumbass."

On the Veteran issue... what does being a veteran have anything to do with being fired over txt?  If you are fired over txt, it does not matter whether you are a veteran or not, it human decency... (unless I suppose there was a heated discussion already going over txt, etc.)  Again, we don't know the story, and if you do, please share it.

Again, if you have an axe to grind... disclose it and people will give you the time of day,

i.e. , are you the employee that was let go?  Are you friends with that employee?   How do you know the owner is not NRA certified?

33 minutes ago, Maksim said:

You can have a difference of opinion and this site is all about that... but you are making unfounded allegations without backing any of them up.

While I have not looked at the NRA Rangemaster course... let's be honest... we are all adults here, when your range is everyone behind a common firing line and you have range officers and a bullet proof divider... the range master is not going to do much if anything.  But realistically, this is why experienced gun owners don't go to public ranges.

I am not worried about the range master, I am worried about other gun owners at the range.  

Have you witnessed anything unsafe as a direct result of an experienced range master?

Where does a Rangemaster mean a lot?  Sanctioned shooting matches... and mostly in regards to target placement safety, equipment calibration and knowing the rules of the game inside and out.

For a public range... I think everything can be summed up as "Don't be a dumbass."

On the Veteran issue... what does being a veteran have anything to do with being fired over txt?  If you are fired over txt, it does not matter whether you are a veteran or not, it human decency... (unless I suppose there was a heated discussion already going over txt, etc.)  Again, we don't know the story, and if you do, please share it.

Again, if you have an axe to grind... disclose it and people will give you the time of day,

i.e. , are you the employee that was let go?  Are you friends with that employee?   How do you know the owner is not NRA certified?

I apologize for riling anyone up over this. It was not my intent to slam anyone. I am not the employee nor was I ever one. I have not seen any unsafe action there. This is the reason I read and don’t post as it was pointed out about my posting habits. I can see where it seems I have an axe to grind but I don’t. I’ve been there and simply don’t agree with how things are set up but that really doesn’t mean anything. I’ll keep to myself as I usually do. Thank you both for your responses. 

41 minutes ago, Truthsayer said:

I apologize for riling anyone up over this. It was not my intent to slam anyone. I am not the employee nor was I ever one. I have not seen any unsafe action there. This is the reason I read and don’t post as it was pointed out about my posting habits. I can see where it seems I have an axe to grind but I don’t. I’ve been there and simply don’t agree with how things are set up but that really doesn’t mean anything. I’ll keep to myself as I usually do. Thank you both for your responses. 

That’s a very fair and introspective assessment. Thanks for that. 

Please, let nothing in this thread prevent you from posting more and giving us an opportunity to get to know you, and you a chance to know us.

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

That’s a very fair and introspective assessment. Thanks for that. 

Please, let nothing in this thread prevent you from posting more and giving us an opportunity to get to know you, and you a chance to know us.

1 hour ago, Truthsayer said:

@Truthsayer  We often forget,  well, newer folks, even though  this is an annonomus forum if you want it to, this is also a regional community where hundreds if not thousands of members and gun owners have met each other in real life through events at ranges, fun shoots, training classes or even buying and selling.  So very often, when we see posts, we don't look at it as simply a username, but rather a face and a person.

As such, your original post really comes off as a rant that you would generally not say to someone else in real life like that.

If there are legitamite issues, we do have an opportunity to take it up with the ranges or stores and have them respond, much like 2A organizations do with townships.

Whenever there is a big complaint voiced about an FFL or a range here, I do make it a point to reach out to the owners and let them know, to get their side of the story and to see if there were service let downs and things that can be fixed.

As such, we are all interested in hearing your complaints,  but would want to do something about it and as such, asking for more details and your role (direct, heard from a friend, etc.)  

Most of the RSO's are ex-military. Really cool guys. Extremely knowledgeable. And I really like how they show new shooters how to properly handle firearms with personal attention. 

The owner strictly defers to the head RSO. He knows the head RSO has a vast amount of experience and it would be crazy not to listen to him. And when it comes to issues I've talked to him about that comes to range safety, he has told me that the final say comes from the head RSO. He may be strictly a businessman, but the fact that he relies on those with RSO experience to make those policies is a smart move.

• Like 1