Greenday

Range 129

52 minutes ago, Greenday said:

The only thing they asked of me was to check my ammo, eye and ear protection. No one searched my bags. No one even touched my bags. That's EXTREMELY reasonable.

You’re moving the goalpost. They may have only checked your ammo and ear/eye pro. The post that kicked this segment off (and that you knowing replied to) was about checking far more. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomk62 said:

I think it's all about recognizing those who put themselves in harms way in the "service" of protecting our lives.  Pay (career vs volunteer) doesn't matter, and this would include military, first responders, law enforcement, fire, and ems.

A PSE&G lineman is doing a service to the community after a storm to restore power.   He or she is putting themselves in harms way, so is that considered "service"?

People say military service, nobody says police service.  

The term sucks, and it has become something it's not.  

7 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

A PSE&G lineman is doing a service to the community after a storm to restore power.   He or she is putting themselves in harms way, so is that considered "service"?

People say military service, nobody says police service.  

The term sucks, and it has become something it's not.  

Don't forget about the term Hero. It seems to be connected with everyone working in government.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

I call BS on that last part.

There have been numerous accidents and suicides at NJ gun ranges.  In none of the cases has there been backlash at guns or the ranges and people know it is individuals.

If there was, places like SS, BA/GSSC/GFH/BH and others would have been closed down. 

When did they only check your ammo?  Is this a new policy?  Or was this from a while ago? 

Last weekend. The ranges have only been open for one week now so there really isn't a "while ago" possibility.

2 hours ago, voyager9 said:

You’re moving the goalpost. They may have only checked your ammo and ear/eye pro. The post that kicked this segment off (and that you knowing replied to) was about checking far more. 

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

@Darrenf why is your experience described so vastly different than @Greenday.. regardless still not shooting there.

Basically this. It's so different from my experience that I'm confused as to what's the real norm.

13 hours ago, Zeke said:

Are you affiliated with this range?

this is your thread.

:B:):

Here's the thing, I was looking forward to being "affiliated" with this range.  They say they are about education, so am I, so is my college professor wife.  She wanted to start a SAW chapter there, i was looking forward to becoming an instructor, and promoting this range extensively.  The shock of what management is doing there is really upsetting. 

• Like 1

its weird to hear all these extensive inspections.. I have only been to two ranges in my life.. I was a member at both.. 

Atlantic County Range... like actually county run range.. I was never hassled in any way ever about anything that I can recall.. 

and the PA range that I am a member at now.. the only rule we have here is "take all alcohol home with you when you leave" (there is a sign on the refrigerator) 

• Like 2

its weird to hear all these extensive inspections.

Theres no such "extensive" inspections. They check your eyes and ears which EVERY range does. And they make sure your guns are unloaded.

Went tonight and had a good time. Shot prone for the first time. Hung around afterwards and chit chatted with the folks there.

I have nothing but good things to say about the place (except for charging extra to have a membership that includes both the pistol ranges and rifle range). Everyone has been super friendly and helpful. Used some tips one of the RSO's gave me from last time which helped. Need to utilize the small bag I have for the butt of the gun.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Theres no such "extensive" inspections. They check your eyes and ears which EVERY range does. And they make sure your guns are unloaded.

Went tonight and had a good time. Shot prone for the first time. Hung around afterwards and chit chatted with the folks there.

I have nothing but good things to say about the place (except for charging extra to have a membership that includes both the pistol ranges and rifle range). Everyone has been super friendly and helpful. Used some tips one of the RSO's gave me from last time which helped. Need to utilize the small bag I have for the butt of the gun.

"They check your eyes and ears which EVERY range does"  No, they do not.  In the 10 years of running the forum and shooting before, I have yet to have 1 range ask to inspect my eyes and ears.

"They make sure your guns are unloaded."

So does that mean before entering the range, you had to show them your gun bag and they looked at your guns?

Did someone have to look at your guns BEFORE you were able to either 1. shoot, or 2. enter the range?

"Need to utilize the small bag I have for the butt of the gun."

For what purpose?  Lying prone?  It should be against your shoulder.  Shooting bench rest? 

Glad you had fun though.  Seems like you are a new shooter?  Once you are in this for a while you will realize how and why everyone else where is pissed off.

"They check your eyes and ears which EVERY range does"  No, they do not.  In the 10 years of running the forum and shooting before, I have yet to have 1 range ask to inspect my eyes and ears.
"They make sure your guns are unloaded."
So does that mean before entering the range, you had to show them your gun bag and they looked at your guns?
Did someone have to look at your guns BEFORE you were able to either 1. shoot, or 2. enter the range?
"Need to utilize the small bag I have for the butt of the gun."
For what purpose?  Lying prone?  It should be against your shoulder.  Shooting bench rest? 
Glad you had fun though.  Seems like you are a new shooter?  Once you are in this for a while you will realize how and why everyone else where is pissed off.

So no range has ever made sure you had eye and ear protection before entering the range? Every indoor range I've been to makes you have eyes and ears on before going in the range.

I opened my bag, the guy saw my chamber was open and empty and he didn't touch anything. That was all he needed.

Yes, I have bench rests. And I mean the smaller rest under the butt of the gun, not the part against my shoulder.

You are terrible at this. 

Checking to make sure you are wearing your ear and eye pro is completely different than actually checking the gear itself. Like i said, when an issue presents itself, like someone not wearing pro than i can see an issue.

If someone asked me to open my bag and cases prior to entering the range, I would ask for a refund and leave. 

• Like 2

So no range has ever made sure you had eye and ear protection before entering the range? Every indoor range I've been to makes you have eyes and ears on before going in the range.

Makes you? ...... they will inform you that is required, and that is simply the end of that conversation...

I opened my bag, the guy saw my chamber was open and empty and he didn't touch anything. That was all he needed.

..... and this is where I would ask for a refund and leave..... I will watch the required safety video, but after that, you are NOT checking my bag.... 

Yes, I have bench rests. And I mean the smaller rest under the butt of the gun, not the part against my shoulder

Huh? .... butt of gun should be against your shoulder, why do you need a rest under it?

• Like 2

Its funny to me how Greenday has no problem with the range “checking his eyes”, (What are they checking for exactly? ) but his issue is they charge too much. No doubt he’d like the government to tell them how much they could charge too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

R14 basically screams over the PA that firearms are to remain closed in their cases until you’re at the station and that eye/ear-pro is required. RSO will scream if they see anything in use (or not) that violates that.  Other than the body-cavity search, they don’t inspect anything. 

• Like 2

Its funny to me how Greenday has no problem with the range “checking his eyes”, (What are they checking for exactly? ) but his issue is they charge too much. No doubt he’d like the government to tell them how much they could charge too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Checking your eyes and ears... checking that you have eye and ear protection. I've never been to a range that didn't do that. Shooters and FMJ won't let you into the range either until you have both on already. This is standard.

3 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Checking your eyes and ears... checking that you have eye and ear protection. I've never been to a range that didn't do that. Shooters and FMJ won't let you into the range either until you have both on already. This is standard.

Did they make sure that you have them on or did they physically inspect them while going through your bag?

Did they make sure that you have them on or did they physically inspect them while going through your bag?
They made sure I had them on. No one went through my bag. No one touched my bag or my rifle or anything I brought with me. They just ask to see it's unloaded.

9 minutes ago, Greenday said:

They made sure I had them on. No one went through my bag. No one touched my bag or my rifle or anything I brought with me. They just ask to see it's unloaded.

So I would have to take a semi-auto out and rack the slide showing them it's empty?

Seems counter productive considering you will be walking into a port so you can load it...