Haddoncoach

Hunting license/online/field testing

I’ve taken and passed the NJ online hunting license test.  I have the printed certificate stating that I have met the testing part of the course.

Can anyone tell me what I should do when signing up to take the field portion of the test?  I have a list of locations where the test is given - Telco etc.  Can I show them the certificate and skip right to the field portion of the test?  Do I have to wait for everyone to complete their test?

Suggestions?  Are any members of the forum members test organizers or been through this?

thanks!

When I went, the field portion was first for everyone.  They broke everyone up into groups.  Those seeking archery license only, firearms only, and those seeking both.  I don't remember if we had any trappers when I went.  I was in the firearms group.

We did the field portion first, but it was done as a group. It included identifying various parts of firearms (muzzle loaders, shotguns, and modern rifles), safe handling techniques (crossing fences, climbing tree stands, etc) discussing laws and ethics of hunting and finding/tracking blood trails to find your kill.  That's not all-inclusive but you get the point. 

After all the field stuff, we had to shoot a shotgun on the trap range.  You had to show you could identify proper ammo, load the gun, safe handle and hit a few clays.  Last was the test so this is where you show you certificate and get your yellow card for passing the course.   Not sure if it's taught the same everywhere so YMMV.

• Like 1

Sign up online for one of the locations. Attend the class. You will have to do the field portion which is nothing compared to 30 years ago. Lol. As far as I know once you do the field portion you will have to take the exam. 

My kids did the online booklets(at home), did the Field training. Then took a written test. Easy peasy.  

Good luck! 

I did the online course part.  They broke us out to another class for a quick review then the test.  Did the field practical right after testing.  They asked if I wanted to do the field walk, but it was pouring rain and snowy ground so I said no.

If you took the written part on line you do not have to do the field walk through. You will have to do the hands on firearms and archery if that is what you are getting. Everyone has to take another written test at the end of their hands on test. The online test basically get you out of the walk through field test. Depending on where you go and the crowd size it can save you hours.

If a location and date you want is full, go anyway, they get some no shows and I've never seen them turn anyone away.

@Drew_S

They will provide a shotgun if you do not have one.  I would expect these to be 12ga, maybe 20ga or even possibly a .410, but 12ga is certain.

If you are bringing your own, I'd bring a field style 12ga or 20ga if possible.  I dunno how they'd feel about an 18" home defense shotgun or shockwave...  They provide ammo, so if you have a strange caliber shotgun, you might have an issue.  Not sure that they want you bringing ammo, but if it is your only gun and don't want to use theirs, might not hurt to bring 5 or 10 rounds of 7.5 / 8 / 9 birdshot and keep it separate in your car, and ask one of the instructors before bringing the ammo (and gun) out.

You don't have to shoot a rifle.  All firearms are covered under shotguns these days.

You'll be observed for safe handling and being aware of headstamp and use of safety.  Hitting targets is honestly not important, though if you can't hit those ground targets, I'd hope you work on that before going out in the field.

• Like 1

They will supply the ammo. If you can practice before hand practice this:1. Gun down safety on.

2. Shoulder gun.   

3. Safety off, fire gun.

Remember, you will still have to take a written test when you pass the hands on portion. The online test just gets you out of the walk around.

• Like 1

Grew up in upstate NY, where I did all my hunters education courses and had my NY hunting license for years.

since moving to NJ over a decade ago, I haven’t had a license because I have nowhere to go hunting and don’t know what I have to do to get a license.

can I get a NJ hunting license based on having a expired NY license?

7 minutes ago, Gunnz said:

Grew up in upstate NY, where I did all my hunters education courses and had my NY hunting license for years.

since moving to NJ over a decade ago, I haven’t had a license because I have nowhere to go hunting and don’t know what I have to do to get a license.

can I get a NJ hunting license based on having a expired NY license?

Yes. I used my Ohio.