CAL. .30 M1

Weather eye

Running a gennie through a dryer or hot tub feed is a recipe for disaster....why? cable size....

I have 6/3 to an outdoor pug that I use a welder on for tractor, snow blower fixing kind of stuff.

Again wrong, but in a pinch I bring power to my internal distribution from that feed to the panel.

42 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

to an outdoor pug

Why do you keep your dog outside? :)

43 minutes ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Again wrong, but in a pinch I bring power to my internal distribution from that feed to the panel.

Unclear, are you running it through a transfer switch, or is this just feeding the double breaker in the panel?

If it's the latter, that's just as dangerous as the Capt...

Running a gennie through a dryer or hot tub feed is a recipe for disaster....why? cable size....

I have 6/3 to an outdoor pug that I use a welder on for tractor, snow blower fixing kind of stuff.

The direct 3 wire from the generator to the breaker much more dangerous. At least there was a plug on both ends with the dryer outlet, and the generator was outside. For the record I didn't run it overnight.

Still not a great idea but I didn't come up with it on my own. 2 licensed electricians said it would work in a bind, advice was keep an eye on it, make sure the main is off, and if anything happens they didn't tell me to do it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Some interesting fun facts, the weather dudes have been comparing the intensity of this storm to one 50+ years ago (Hazel in 1954). Back in 1954 there were approx. 4 million residents in N.C. Now, there are over 10 million. Can you guess what areas had the largest growth?

Then, I just saw this point of reference regarding the actual build-up along the coastal areas over the years.

1940: 792,871 homes

2018: 11,301,776 homes

The potential for major destruction is quite high, both from wind and from heavy rain/flooding:

looking at that above track map i see Marine Camp Leguene is pretty much in line for the North quadrent of the eyewall, and the base has miles of beachfront exposure and lowlands. My son still has buds down there and word is a lot of the guys are going on forced leave but not farther than 300 miles. I spent a lot of vacation time down there and fear for that area. I can easily visualize some of the beach homes I was in washing or blowing away.

13 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Why do you keep your dog outside? :)

Unclear, are you running it through a transfer switch, or is this just feeding the double breaker in the panel?

If it's the latter, that's just as dangerous as the Capt...

Yes my pug is a great plug.  

It's in a sub panel.....

However I will disagree.....   the problem with back feeding on a dryer line or hot tube is wire gauge...that's where the fires start...undersized conductors for the load.

We can debate the merits of sub panels and or back feeding your internal distribution system as a secondary topic.  But the prime issue and danger in the previous method is conductor size. 

Yes my pug is a great plug.  

It's in a sub panel.....

However I will disagree.....   the problem with back feeding on a dryer line or hot tube is wire gauge...that's where the fires start...undersized conductors for the load.

We can debate the merits of sub panels and or back feeding your internal distribution system as a secondary topic.  But the prime issue and danger in the previous method is conductor size. 

I agree with you completely. That's why I said no one should do what I did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Yes, conductor size is the first concern, but backfeeding the complete panel is also really stupid. Most people don't understand loads, and will try to turn on everything in the panel, like normal.

• Like 1

Yes, conductor size is the first concern, but backfeeding the complete panel is also really stupid. Most people don't understand loads, and will try to turn on everything in the panel, like normal.

That I didn't do only ran essentials. Man cave, fridges, and Man Cave AC.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

Most not all.....  :)