YankeeSC

Snub nose .357/.38 revolver

I have a smith and Wesson model 637 airweight. It’s a good little shooter.

Very comfortable to shoot with regular 38 special ammo. Very snappy with 38+ ammo.

You can find them very cheap. Got mine for about 300, then got a smith and Wesson rebate. 

I've got a Taurus 85 as well.  Its a nice, accurate shooter - only complaint-and its a small one-is the trigger has a touch of over-travel firing double-action.  J-Frame S&W's are also nice, but twice the price.

If you'll settle for 38 spl the Taurus 85 is a bargain.  You can order them on line for 300 or less. I'd recommend the all stainless.  It's heavier but the extra weight goes a long way to absorb recoil.  Many of the alloy J frame size revolvers are painful to shoot.  I carry factory wadutters for a SD load in any J frame size gun.  You don't gain much carrying +Ps in a short barrel and get more recoil and muzzle blast.  The factory wadcutter is already in an efficient shape, has sufficient penetration, and low recoil and muzzle blast.  I have a few of Taurus revolvers and have no issue with them.

If you want a 357 get at least a K frame size gun.  I carry a S&W Model 66 2 1/2" often loaded with std velocity 38s, +Ps, or +P+.  You really don't get a lot more velocity using magnums and once again more recoil and muzzle blast.  A used Model 66 might be found for 500 but will likely be more.

A Ruger Speed Six is a fine 2 3/4" K frame size gun.  They are kind of indestructible and much stronger than a K frame S&W. Used only but you can find them for 500.

If you're looking for a SD gun you can't beat the Taurus 85 IMO.  38 only but we've discussed that already.  Plus you'll spend only about half of your budget. I have one I bought in 1989 and it's been trouble free for almost 30 years.

• Like 3

As another option, if you're ok with moonclips is the Ruger SP101 in 9mm.  

Inexpensive ammo.  A little snappier than 38 and less so than 357.  Have a couple of moonclips floating around and ready to go and it's, with practice, pretty fast reloads.

Or, get one in 357.  

Might be a touch over budget but they are very sweet pistols.  

If your planning on a snub nose really just go with 38 special save the 357 for something larger, especially if you go with a light gun, if your gonna carry make sure it's +P.  Everybody says get a 357/38 unless you reload 357 is pretty rough, chances are you,ll only shoot 38,s in it anyway.At one time I had quite a few snubs sold them all kept the Ruger LCR 38. My favorites in 357's are my 4" & 6" Ruger GP100's.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, antimatter said:

your going to get 5 pages of responses, but i have a taurus model 85 and love it. all steel not the ultralight.  

great shooter and not expensive.  go handle a bunch and make a decision that works for you.

amen!!!!!!

I bought one cause it was less than 200 and have about 1100 through it and cleaned it once.  I absolutely love this little snubnose, it's accurate enough, reliable, and locks up tight.  I check it after each range session and color me impressed.  Now this 85 series and pt1911 are the only taurus that seem to get glowing reviews so that should tell you something

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies everyone.  Wasn't sure initially about the quality but the more I read about the Taurus revolvers the more I am liking them. Seems like you can't beat them for the price.

Picked up a 605 in matte stainless yesterday.  https://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=247&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=605

I was in and out of PSA in 20 minutes.  Would have been faster if I had my CWP (should be arriving in the mail any day now).

Took it to the local outdoor range run by the SC DNR, very nice facility.  I know a snub nose 2" is less than ideal for shooting .357 but I was still surprised at the amount of recoil. :)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, tomk62 said:

Thanks for the replies everyone.  Wasn't sure initially about the quality but the more I read about the Taurus revolvers the more I am liking them. Seems like you can't beat them for the price.

Picked up a 605 in matte stainless yesterday.  https://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=247&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=605

I was in and out of PSA in 20 minutes.  Would have been faster if I had my CWP (should be arriving in the mail any day now).

Took it to the local outdoor range run by the SC DNR, very nice facility.  I know a snub nose 2" is less than ideal for shooting .357 but I was still surprised at the amount of recoil. :)

So I have questions !!!

How was getting your CWP permit in SC?

What range did you use - I hear they can be iffy - the public ones that is?

Where in SC do you live?  How do you like it?  How long there? etc.

The issue in the 2" firing .357 is dwell time in the barrel - I like .38+P in my model 19 Smith.

1 minute ago, USRifle30Cal said:

So I have questions !!!

How was getting your CWP permit in SC?

What range did you use - I hear they can be iffy - the public ones that is?

Where in SC do you live?  How do you like it?  How long there? etc.

The issue in the 2" firing .357 is dwell time in the barrel - I like .38+P in my model 19 Smith.

Fire away!

The CWP was easy, you take an 8 hour class that covers the law and safety aspects and then a 50 question written test plus a 50 shot practical test.  I think you have to get an 80/100 on both to pass.

The practical test involves 5 shots in 5 seconds (if I remember the time correctly) with 2 sets each at 3, 5, 7, 10, and 15 yards with reloads after each set.  You do this all under the command and watchful eye of the instructor.  You need to hit anywhere within the Silhouette on the target.

I went to the Twin Ponds public range http://www.dnr.sc.gov/shooting/ranges/twinponds.html.  There are 18 pistol bays with a 25 yard range and 16 rifle bays on 100 yards.  The bays are all covered and rifle has benches.  Only paper targets allowed.  It was all recently renovated so everything is new and in very good shape, and there's no cost to shoot there.  It was about 1/3 full when I was there, and the range officers keep a close watch ver what's going on (but not to the extent they do at Range 14).

I moved to Charleston on Aug 3, absolutely love it but must admit it's a bit surreal.  Still not quite used to it being my new home.  I live downtown and have horse carriages come down my street every day, kind of weird to live somewhere that others come for vacation.  This is my street.

I bought a box of .357 to see what that would be like, but realistically I will carry .38 SD rounds.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

great, not a fan of lw revolvers due to recoil impulse. 

You would be surprised at what a good set of grips, the right coaching and correct gun handling can do.  

no doubt I'm sure, practice and familiarity breeds improvement however, a nice solid and heavier piece in your hand will be more forgiving on the recoil impulse.  There is a reason each SEAL squad shoots more in a year than the entire Marine Corps however, I'm not shooting 50k 38/357 to get that level.  Now AR or 9mm, different discussion  :rolleyes:

20 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

Fire away!

The CWP was easy, you take an 8 hour class that covers the law and safety aspects and then a 50 question written test plus a 50 shot practical test.  I think you have to get an 80/100 on both to pass.

The practical test involves 5 shots in 5 seconds (if I remember the time correctly) with 2 sets each at 3, 5, 7, 10, and 15 yards with reloads after each set.  You do this all under the command and watchful eye of the instructor.  You need to hit anywhere within the Silhouette on the target.

I went to the Twin Ponds public range http://www.dnr.sc.gov/shooting/ranges/twinponds.html.  There are 18 pistol bays with a 25 yard range and 16 rifle bays on 100 yards.  The bays are all covered and rifle has benches.  Only paper targets allowed.  It was all recently renovated so everything is new and in very good shape, and there's no cost to shoot there.  It was about 1/3 full when I was there, and the range officers keep a close watch ver what's going on (but not to the extent they do at Range 14).

I moved to Charleston on Aug 3, absolutely love it but must admit it's a bit surreal.  Still not quite used to it being my new home.  I live downtown and have horse carriages come down my street every day, kind of weird to live somewhere that others come for vacation.  This is my street.

I bought a box of .357 to see what that would be like, but realistically I will carry .38 SD rounds.

hornady makes some excellent 38sd ammo.  I'll check what I have and report back but recall during my research, this was considered the best for that particular round

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

hornady makes some excellent 38sd ammo.  I'll check what I have and report back but recall during my research, this was considered the best for that particular round

That's exactly what I have :)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tomk62 said:

Fire away!

Nice - beautiful street - my eldest daughter is getting married in Charleston next OCT - and I will be down in FEB looking at hotels etc.  Looking to move to Bluffton/Beaufort area soon (less than 4 years).  The Palachcucola Range seems to be closest except for the Palmetto indoor range.........  good for you enjoy your time there....... :drinks: