Sign in to follow this  
tankcommander

New Member from Middlesex County.

Hello all, I saw the board in a post on 'The High Road' and wanted to join up with fellow citizens of this Peoples RepubliK :roll: . I'm in Middlesex County and I shoot in Fort Dix. I retired with 27 years in the Army and National Guard. I was a tanker, so I got to fire some pretty big guns in my time. I like to collect WW2 rifles only a few but always keep my eyes open. Last purchase was a Mosin Nagant 1931.

TC (Tank commander)

Glad to be aboard, I have shot the Mosin once so far and it kicks like a mule. Had a scare with it as well, thought the ammo wasn't corrosive and didn't clean it right away. Can you say rust. :o But after I discovered the crap in the barrel did some emergency cleaning and it looks like no permanent damage.

TC

Welcome aboard tankcommander. Those are some big guns on tanks but I used to shoot M110, 8" howitzers and M107 175 mm guns. Kind of hard to hit something moving with artillery though. I got to shoot the main gun on a M48 once (90mm?). I'm also retired from Active Army, Guard, and Reserve spending most of my time in artillery.

I recently picked up a Mosin Nagant (1943) in really nice condition.

Griz, you got me beat, I got to see the M109s fire and got a tour and demo of the 8inch 110A2. The biggest gun I fired was the Sheridan with a 152mm. Do you shoot at Fort Dix? I haven't been out since last May the itch to shoot is getting over whelming. But I didn't have weekends off until recently.

I like the Mosin, but the finish on the wood, the varnish, although real looks like crap. I'm a well oiled wood fan. Like on my Garand. I have to stop myself from stripping it and refinishing it lest i ruin its authenticity.

TC