vladtepes

Loose Ammo Storage in Can

14 minutes ago, Wrigs4095 said:

I do and I throw in those dessicant  packs that you get with new shoes and find in pill bottles suppose  to prevent  moisture just randomly  throw them in whenever I come across some in a lot of my gun related stuff 

This

Funny, I have been dumping my bulk ammo in my ammo cans to get rid of the cardboard.

I have learned that the plastic MTM and Plano boxes are more better than my trusty metal cans.

Those little $5.00 plastic cans from Harbor Freight are the cat’s pajamas. I must have a dozen of them. They hold just enough anmo for a comp, moderate round count class, or structured range session. They also hold two G-Code Bang Boxes perfectly if you want to bring two seperate types of ammo in the same can.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Those little $5.00 plastic cans from Harbor Freight are the cat’s pajamas. I must have a dozen or of them. They hold just enough anmo for a comp, moderate round count class, or structured range session. They also hold two G-Code Bang Boxes perfectly if you want to bring two seperate types of ammo in the same can.

Got a link for what you mentioned?

• Like 1

Well, I guess they are $7.00 now:
https://www.harborfreight.com/ammo-dry-box-61451.html
They’re still awesome.
Fuckin Trump

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

great thanks.. I just was not sure with stuff getting potentially knocked around... if it would be an issue.. 
I do it for my ammo. I'm not sure what you'll be doing with it but generally it is dense enough where everything just stays in place.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I keep rifle ammo on stripper clips in cans.  For 5.56mm I leave one original cardboard box in the can on top with a magazine spoon in it.  It makes the spoon easier to find for loading mags and the box has ballistic data on it for the type rounds in the can.

I do the same for my 7.62x51 rounds just without the spoon since the stripper clips can feed directly into my M1A when the mag is empty and the bolt is open. 

I keep handgun ammo in its original boxes.  I should just dump them out in the can. Its probably faster to be able to load mags during matches or practice by just reaching in the can and grabbing some ammo to put in the mags instead of constantly opening boxes and sliding the tray out.

In general, I try to keep my ammo in their boxes, and in their master case packs.
Once a case it opened I put the individual boxes in the ammo safe.
However after the last basement flood, I had to unpack and bulk dry a metric ton of ammo, so into plastic and metal cans it went.

Best ammo cans are Military Surplus .30 and .50 cans. Why waste money on cheap plastic or metal knockoffs? They can be bought for $10 each shipped. Ammo Can Man is one such site that regularly has free shipping when you buy 3 for $30.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I prefer the plastic ones. It’s not a waste. They don’t rust, are easy to clean and dry, they weigh less, and have tabs to lock the lids. 

I also like the size better for how I use them. I have metal cans too. They are for storage at home. The plastic cans are for range trips where I don’t need 1000 rounds at a time.

The plastic holds up well enough, I haven’t broken one yet.

At $3 each, how can you go wrong?

I prefer the plastic ones. It’s not a waste. They don’t rust, are easy to clean and dry, they weigh less, and have tabs to lock the lids. 
I also like the size better for how I use them. I have metal cans too. They are for storage at home. The plastic cans are for range trips where I don’t need 1000 rounds at a time.
The plastic holds up well enough, I haven’t broken one yet.
At $3 each, how can you go wrong?

.30 cans are smaller and good for the range. If I can help it I won't buy anything made in China, and that is pretty much all Harbor Freight sells. If I'm part of the problem it's hard to be part of the solution.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While I have nothing against surplus cans, If you don't want ones that are noticeably "used", marked, and/or smell due to prior contents, I can say that the ones that rural king offers are a good buy.  The size is correct, the seals appear to work well, and having tan and black options can be handy.  I wound up buying 18 of them, and about 20 of the HF plastic cans.