hartsfw

Looking to become a gunsmith

A question for you folks here. Can you give me a little insight on what it takes to become a gunsmith in NJ? Certifications, etc.?
Also is it a profession that has some value here, given the laws I would imagine the demand is lower than in neighboring states.
Any info you guys can provide would be awesome!

Most gunsmiths don't make much. Maybe 40k a year.  If you'really highly skilled and specialize in something people want you can make more.  You would probably need to apprentice yourself to an established gunsmith or attend a school to start.  There are resident schools around.  I think there is one in PA.

To go into business yourself there is a significant outlay for machinery and tools.  You also need the business sense to go out on your own.

Not trying to burst your bubble.  Just trying to make you aware of what you're getting into.

Google

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Most gunsmiths don't make much. Maybe 40k a year.  If you'really highly skilled and specialize in something people want you can make more.  You would probably need to apprentice yourself to an established gunsmith or attend a school to start.  There are resident schools around.  I think there is one in PA.

To go into business yourself there is a significant outlay for machinery and tools.  You also need the business sense to go out on your own.

Not trying to burst your bubble.  Just trying to make you aware of what you're getting into.

Google

No worries! I'm definitely down for having the bubble burst. My knowledge on the topic is sorely lacking so any info is appreciated.

Does Jersey have any laws about certifications or anything? Or is that dependent on who you are wanting to work for?

13 minutes ago, 1563621 said:

I believe you have to have an FFL to accept and ship.

Federal a 01 or 07.  07 let's you do all the things an 01 does and also allows you to be a manufacturer.  NJ would want you to get a dealer's and manufacturers license.

• Like 1